“Nice staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #209 of 463 Hotels in New York City
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The staff at this hotel were fabulous. The hotel it's self is in china town so expect to feel as though you are in china. Not that that's a bad thing. Down town is really easy to walk round and the transport is ok once you do it a few times. Hotel is $13 cab ride to Times Square. Too far to walk unless you are a walker. Hotel clean and pleasant. Breakfast was a bit of a let down. Traditional buffet style but fighting over the eggs and bacon as the trays where so small. Each tray off eggs fed 3 guests and then you have to wait for the next one.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words about the staff. I will certainly celebrate your comments with them. We appreciate you selecting our hotel for your NYC stay and for sharing your experience. Another option to Times Square is to take the B or D subway only a block away and it will get you there in about 15 minutes. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I have no complaints about the hotel room and breakfast service. However, I think it is good for all guests to be aware of that the hotel charges your credit card twice (in case of "accidents" that may happen in your room during your stay). It took 8 days before the hotel dropped the charge - when I was already back home. So if you want to have some money for NY shopping be sure to load your card with some extra money! I don't think the hotel is allowed to make charges like these!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
My sincere apologies that you feel your credit card was charged erroneously. I unfortunately am not aware of your particular situation, but if you would like to email me at the address below, I am happy to research it. At check in, we authorize the credit card at check in for Room, tax, and incidentals for the entire stay. At check out, we use the authorization code that was received at check in to charge the credit card and any over-authorization will drop off. It can be difficult to tell the difference between the authorizations and charges through online banking. I do appreciate the feedback and will follow up with my staff to ensure that this procedure is being done correctly. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you the next time you are in NYC.

Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed 6 nights at Best Western in April 2014. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We had a good night sleep with no noises from outside. Breakfast is served every morning until 10 a.m. Breakfast isn't that divers or special, but it's included in the price. The location of the hotel is more downtown, at the border of China Town and Littly Italy, with 3 different subway stations closeby. We had a lovely stay and will definitely come back to Best Western!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I will certainly share your comments with my team at our daily meeting to continue to focus on what we are doing well. We look forward to you next stay with us!

Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel last week. The room cost for the whole stay was "authorized" on my credit card at check in which is fair enough. When checking out, the same sum was "authorized" once more from the account, hence twice the cost was held by the hotel and made inaccessible for me. Two days after check out, the room cost was withdrawn again, now making the cost of room X 3 inaccessible. Thus, rather than $833 for three nights, the hotel held $ 2499 on my credit card for more than 9 days, making me completely broke during my stay in the US. So if you don't want to be stranded without money on your vacation, either you choose a different hotel, or you make sure that you have three times the cost for the rooms on your credit card.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
I sincerely apologize for the confusion with your credit card. It is a terrible thing that occurred to you. Upon check in we do authorize the credit card for room, tax and incidentals for the entire stay. At check out, if you use the same credit card, we use the authorization code received upon check in for the charges and any over authorization with drop off when the actual charges go through. It is rare for the card to be authorized and charged many times, but sadly it can occur for numerous reasons and we work with the bank to clear up the over-authorization quickly. If you would like me to look into your situation, so we can ensure everything is corrected, please email me at the address below. We do appreciate your business and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you whenever you are in NYC.

Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

If your planning a visit to NYC and looking for a hotel that is away from uptown Manhattan, this is a great Hotel to stay in, very clean large rooms, buffet style breakfast, and very friendly staff.
It is in a great location, China Town and Little Italy on you door step, subway just a few blocks away,

Room Tip: Sorry no pool clicked by accident
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed you time in NYC. We appreciate you selecting our hotel and look forward to your next stay with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel for four nights while I was on a business trip.

The hotel is in Chinatown and very close to little Italy. It is a pretty good location, located within walking distance of a subway station and 20 minutes (and around 20 dollars taxi ride) away from Midtown. The location also makes sure that there is cheap dining very close by.

The hotel itself is clean and the room where I stayed was at least spacious and comfortable. The room design however is made so that even the quietest whispers can be heard from the corridor. If you are near the vending machines (that won't always work I must add), expect to hear some mild cursing of other tourists. :)

Each room has a safe to put your valuables in and the bed itself felt very good after long day at work. Good chairs, tables and spacious bathroom makes the room - despite the noise from the corridor - enjoyable experience.

The breakfast was good, pretty much the same that standard American hotel offers so you'll get your belly full before heading out.

There is only one ill thing to say about this hotel and it is the "airport taxi service" which I took to save time (its not impossible to get a normal taxi for this, but I was in a rush). The rate itself is not so different from the flat rate that it costs from JFK to midtown BUT when the driver arrived, when I asked to pay with a credit card he outrageously said that there will be 30% extra for paying with a credit card, despite the fact that the staff said it will be 10%. I kindly asked the driver to stop at the nearest ATM but the drivers "I like the cash" attitude (and he said it too) was something that left a sour taste to my mouth.

All in all a pleasant and decent stay, despite the little noise and greedy taxi driver.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
I am so glad that your time at the hotel was an overall pleasant experience. We really appreciate you sharing your experience, so we can celebrate what we do well and improve where we can. I have shared your comments with our Vending machine vendor and the Airport Shuttle service to immediately correct those issues. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in NYC for Business or Pleasure.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Me and my husband went to visit New York in August 2013,and we staid one week at this superb hotel.

The Hotel is amazingly clean, The breakfast was super delicious and a great variety, each morning served different food.

The staff very friendly, very helpful with information about trips and busses.

They have computers in the lobby that you can use for free.

The hotel is placed in China Town but 2 minutes away is Little Italy, and 5 minutes walk is The Broadway with loads of shops. You can stroll on a nice walk for 30 minutes to the ferry port where you can take the ferry to Statue of Liberty.

You don't hear any noises from the others rooms or from outside, there is air con. in the rooms.

I would definitely recommend this hotel because its really clean, the staff is very helpful and friendly, and the food amazing!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
What a nice review of our Best Western Bowery Hanbee! Thank you so much for staying with us and reviewing our hotel. It sounds like you had an amazing time while in NYC. It is so wonderful to hear you had such a great time. Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!