“Best Place in Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013-4246 (Chinatown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #199 of 459 Hotels in New York City
St. Moritz, Switzerland
“Best Place in Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

If you're looking to get an awesome but affordable Hotel room in Manhattan, look no further.
I was very suprised when i found this Hotel.
Yes it is in the middle of China Town and yes down the street they sell fish and it smells bad. but that doesnt take away from the hotel's awesome customer Service, good breakfast and their cleanliness. I dont think I've ever had such a clean Hotel room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your fantastic review of the Best Western Bowery Hanbee. We really appreciate you staying with us. I will certainly celebrate your kind words with the staff about the service they provided to you and how clean you found the room. They are an amazing hard working team that truly love what they do. We hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in NYC.

All the best!

Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Our suite in the Best Western Bowery Hanbee was a pleasant surprise. Spacious living area with microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker, along with roomy king bedroom with comfy bed and lots of pillows. There was a wide desk and enough electrical outlets for your gadgets. We had plenty of drawer and closet space and room to stretch out, all of which made our 4 day stay exceptionally comfortable and relaxing. The only crunch was the bathroom, which while a good size, had a pedestal sink and only a glass shelf above it for toiletries. We ended up using the windowsill over the tub for some of our necessities, but when showering, you will get whatever is stored there wet. There is no apparent heat duct in the bathroom, but the floor is heated--note the dial on the wall near the light switch. There is free internet access, which is also a nice plus. We have noted that the most expensive hotels seem to feel justified charging as much as $20+ a day for this, while the major moderately priced chains are wisely offering it at no cost.
Breakfast is included in the room rate. The offerings should satisfy most guests, considering the cost of breakfast in New York. There were bagels, toast, sweet rolls, English muffins, a waffle maker and batter, some egg dish which could best be described as a scrambled egg "pancake", breakfast meat, oatmeal, and assorted dry cereals. There is a small dining area, and a nice outdoor patio for good weather. Should you choose to venture out for breakfast, try the Bowery Diner a few blocks north on Bowery Street.
The location is most interesting and convenient--in the heart of Chinatown and close to Little Italy. The open stalls surrounding the hotel offer everything you can imagine for Chinese cuisine, including many kinds of whole, fresh fish. It made for continuously fascinating strolling to and from several nearby subway lines and the nearby neighborhoods and attractions. the 9-11 Memorial is within a couple of miles, and Soho and Tribeca are also close by. The staff is courteous and extremely helpful with directions, restaurant suggestions, and attending to requests. They also arranged a car service for us to the airport, and waived the posted luggage storage fee because we had booked this with them.
The only problematic aspect of this visit was the street construction below us, and this is certainly not the fault of the hotel. There is a long-term underground project underway, and they work work well into the night. The greatest noise seemed to come in through the bathroom windows, where there are no drapes. The sound seemed more muffled in the bedroom, where there are heavy drapes, so we always closed the door to the bathroom upon retiring. I don't think our sleep was really disturbed much, since we come from a big city, but the possibility certainly exists for those not used to urban sounds.
All in all, this hotel is a real "find." We would definitely return here for another visit.

Room Tip: We found Suite 902 large and light. It is also the top floor, so as high as possible from street con...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We appreciate the very complete reivew of the Best Western Bowery-Hanbee. We are so thrilled to hear our hotel met your travel needs. You really did a nice job sharing your hotel experience with TripAdvisor to help future guests make the best decision for their trip to our area. We can certainly use your comments to celebrate what we are doing well and keep doing them - as well as improve on what we can. I will certainly pass along your kind words to the staff about their assistance to you.

My apologies that you were stayed with us when there was overnight construction. It is a year and a half into a 5 year projects in downtown Manhattan. Fortunately they do not do "noisy" work everynight. Sadly we do not know when they are doing loud work though. We have added a second window in the rooms and that has improved limiting the construction noise in the rooms. The bathrooms are single paned windows - closing the bathroom door does help if you are sensitive to "Urban noises". Thanks for mentioning the heated bathrooms floors - this really does assist in warming up the bathroom quickly.

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for work and didn't choose the hotel. It's nothing exceptional to look at (it's in the heart of Chinatown, which is quite a noisy and dynamic sort of a neighbourhood), the rooms are comfortable enough in a beige sort of way and the breakfast is functional (choose the blueberry waffles: a lot of fun).

But what made my stay was the friendliness and helpfulness of the service, which was excellent.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the same level as reception. My colleague was, and she said it was noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
We appreciate your review of our hotel. Your feedback assists us in being better. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. I will certainly share and celebrate your kind words about them. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will consider staying with us on future visits to NYC.

Best Wishes.
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Arrived Sunday in late April for a week long return visit to NYC. Determined to explore more of this amazing city I had made reservations at the Best Western which is located in the Chinatown/Little Italy section of lower Manhattan.

You enter the hotel on the ground floor which only has an entrance and an elevator. Without a card key you can only go to the 2nd floor where reception/registration is located. Easy check-in and went up the room on the 9th floor facing Grand Street. 10 floors total in this hotel. The hotel is situated at the corner of Bowery and Grand.

The room was pretty much a standard BW sized room. Two beds as requested and a standard bathroom. Long table, and a upright cabinet for hanging clothes with iron and ironing board plus additional blankets and pillows. But no dresser ! So we were forced to live out of our suitcases for the entire week. I found this to be quite a surprise and even checked with the front desk to see if this was some sort of mistake. No it was not ! Sorry but a dresser for a 2 person hotel room costing about $280/night (including the $20/night in various taxes) is a requirement in my opinion.

Next negative surprise: during our stay it got down to the 30's several nights. First morning I was shocked to discover the bathroom was very cold (had closed the door to the bathroom the previous evening). Did some detective work and discovered that while there was a double window in the bathroom, it had an aluminum frame which of course transmitted the cold from the outside - plus it was not properly sealed. When I placed my hand near the frame I could feel the cold air coming in from outside. Solution: leave bathroom door open at night (see next paragraph for more about this).

Regrettably the city was doing some big time serious work on the water main that went down Grand Street. So during the entire stay only one lane was open on Grand Street. To allow the one lane to remain open, all serious (and I mean very loud and serious) was done at night. The worst night - the construction continued until midnight. It sounded like I had a chain saw in my room. After midnight the construction decreased significantly but not entirely. Just bad luck, I agree, but regardless of who was at fault, it seriously decreased the enjoyment of my hotel stay. Closing the door to the bathroom decreased the noise, but meant the bathroom was very chilly the next morning. I chose to be chilly and have less noise.

Small item but nevertheless the shower head would not stay in any position other than almost straight down. So to rinse the shampoo I had to bend down to get under the spray. Water temp and pressure were excellent however.

It also turned out that Bowery Street is a main north-south street in NYC which during my stay was used each night by emergency vehicles using their sirens. Overall - I certainly did not luck out in the "quiet enjoyment" aspect of my stay at this BW.

On the plus side, the BW had an above average breakfast. I define above average as having all the easy breakfast items (fruit, yogurt, rolls, cereal, coffee, tea, milk and juices) PLUS eggs and some sort of meat. I ate there every morning and left feeling full. But the eggs I ate each morning came from the refrigerator in a single big bag, which was zapped in the microwave and then squeezed out into the heated serving tray. I wish I had missed seeing that.

The staff were quite helpful. They arranged for a car to take us back to JFK when we left. And there were 2 community PC's with a printer in the lobby so I could easily print out my return boarding pass.

The location of the hotel was quite interesting. Chinatown and Little Italy are pretty much co-mingled and it looked to me like Chinatown was in the process of squeezing out Little Italy. Interestingly there were numerous Italian restaurants nearby on Mulberry Street, but I could only find one decent Chinese restaurant in the several block area around the hotel. Instead there were a zillion Chinese markets and herb stores on Grand street.

As for transportation - A 10 minute walk to the Spring St. station to catch the 6 (the local version) and a bit more to Canal St. to catch the N-Q-R line. City Hall was close by which meant the Brooklyn Bridge was close too (great to walk over the bridge) along with Battery Park. No complaints there.

Overall a less well appointed room than I would have expected with an unlucky construction project resulted in the rating of only Average. Without the construction I would have rated it a Good. Personally, now having visited Chinatown and Little Italy, I am not inclined to return there. Will probably go back to the midtown area which I find more interesting.

Room Tip: Check to see if there is any construction going on - on Grand Street. Or ask to have a room NOT fac...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very detailed review of our hotel. There were many great comments that would assist future guests in determining if the hotel is a good fit for their needs while in NYC.

I sincerely apologize for the overnight noise that made it difficult to sleep. As any big city, overnight noise does occur. There is a five year city project in downtown to replace the water main pipes and some of ConEds wiring, etc. We are about a year and a half into the project. We do not know what nights they will be operating loud equipment overnight. Most nights the work they do is not noticable. Considering the magnitude of the project, we have had few complaints. We do have ear plug and white noise machines available at the front desk and work with the guests for the non-street facing rooms for those sensitive to noise. As a note: rooms with one king bed are all facing the street, so if you are sensitive, book a room with one queen bed. We recently added double pained windows on our street facing rooms and it greatly cut down on the street noise.

On a couple helpful hints to add onto your reivew: There are many amazing Chinese restaurants close to us. My favorite is Dim Sum. Ask the front desk for their locations. The Chinese produce and herb markets are amazing and at great prices. The hotel is also only a block from the B & D subway station.

Thank you again for your review and staying with us.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel from April 27-30, and was pleasantly surprised by the exceptional customer service, beautiful room, and awesome location.
My room was a good size and appeared to have been recently renovated.
The room was clean, had a really comfortable bed, lots of pillows, large walk in shower, and free internet was a bonus.
The only detriment was that my room was directly across from the housekeeping room, and the housekeeping staff were quite loud with their chatter early in the morning, right outside my door.
The location is fantastic, situated between Chinatown and Little Italy-lots of amazing (and inexpensive) restaurants everywhere; safe to walk around (I was travelling alone, and was walking around the area at 11pm), and 5 minutes from the subway (10 minutes to Times Square on the Q).
Staff were fantastic!!! My hero, Jeffrey Pai, was/is the best concierge ever!! As a first time traveller to NYC (and I was solo), he showed me how to get to where I wanted to go, via walking and subway. He gave me tips on which subway to catch, places to eat, and how long it would take to get from point A to point B. One morning, they were having issues with their phones,and knowing I had requested a wake up call, he sent someone to knock on my door to wake me up.
He also gave me his umbrella that morning, as it was raining, and I didn't have one with me.
He expedited my check-out, and arranged for a car service to bring me to the airport that evening.
All staff were extremely polite, courteous, outgoing and friendly...if you need help...ask for Jeffrey!
I plan to return to NYC, and will definitely stay at this hotel again. For great service, location, room size and price, it can't be beat!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate you time to review the Best Western Bowery-Hanbee. I was thrilled to read what a great experience you had while staying with us. I completely agree with the great attributes of the hotel and most of all that our staff is the top of all we have to offer. We will certainly celebrate and recognize Jeffrey. He is amazing with our guests and gives the expertise of a true local. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in New York!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I originally picked the hotel due to proximity of where my friends were staying. Thankfully, the location was perfect for travelling anywhere in NYC. This was my first trip to NYC, so I may not be in the best position to review, but for price and location this place is tough to beat.....I would easily go back to the same hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff very helpful and pleasant, ready to assist......I am sure there are fancier , more expensive hotels in the city that never sleeps, but this place is just fine for me! More places to eat in the area than I will ever be able to enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western Bowery-Hanbee. I am so happy to hear that our hotel contributed to a great first visit to NYC. We think of ourselves a hidden gem in NYC. I completely agree that in this area of Chinatown, Little Italy and SoHo there are some of the best, most diverse restaurants in NYC. The food and service are amazing with better pricing than Midtown. We hope to see you on your next stay in NYC.

PR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is my 2 time at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel. My review is the same as last year stay. Excellent stay. Excellent hotel. Its an excellent hotel & service for cheaper price. The room is good and not that small for NY stays. The bathroom is good and big. The show has a great hot water. The breakfast has a variety of cold and hot food. All the mornings the room was cleaned. It is like the Holiday Inn Express attributes at a cheaper price for being at New York City. Is close too the subway stations. I definitely go again, stay & recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gwen L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
It is so wonderful to hear of your consistently positive experiences at the our hotel, the Best Western Bowery Hanbee. I will certainly celebrate your comments with my team. We have recently rolled out a new breakfast with hot eggs and breakfast meat and better variety each day. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in NYC.

Gwen Lytle

Been to BEST WESTERN Bowery Hanbee Hotel? Share your experiences!