“Greenwich Hotel, Nirvana in NYC” 5 of 5 stars

Greenwich Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   377 Greenwich St., New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #26 of 451 hotels in New York City
Lond Island ,Ny
“Greenwich Hotel, Nirvana in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

My wife's birthday was soon approaching and I was looking for something special and unforgettable that we could enjoy. I did some research and found that the Greenwich hotel style was attractive and the spa looked right up my wife's alley. So I booked a one bedroom corner fireplace suite for a Friday night getaway.

We arrived by car service from Long Island, and I must admit the hotel entrance is difficult to locate, but privacy is a perk of this location. Once in the lobby you are enveloped in a sensory tease of what is to come. Aroma hinting of peony's, colors and textures that warm your heart.

We were welcomed by Hallelujah who was staffing the front desk. He asked for my name and then asked me if I was ready. I asked ready for what, he said we were upgraded, REALLY upgraded. He then lead us for a quick tour of the lobby and drawing room and to the elevators for a lift to the 6th floor.

We were rewarded with an upgrade to the most unbelievable suite I have ever laid my eyes on, the Greenwich Suite, a two bedroom, two floored masterpiece with 30 foot windows and fireplace. We were speechless and on the verge of giddy as Hallelujah lead us on the grand tour. He explained the lighting system ( yes, all the lighting is networked) and the fact that we had entrances on both the 6th and 7th floors. Once the formal tour was over he left us to marvel at this suite. Every place your eyes stopped was an ocular delight. The old growth wood floors, the gray aged ceiling joists and panels, the majestic wall of windows overlooking the city, awesome. The dining table was reclaimed wood, and felt inviting to the touch. Placed on the table was fresh fruit, grapes, pears, apples and pomegranate that looked like it was in a still life portrait, my wife had to check to see if they were real. Propped on the fruit was a hand written note from the General Manager welcoming us to the Greenwich.

There was a full kitchen ( like someone would cook here) and a fully stocked fridge that was gratis. There was a selection of beer, wine and liquor on hand along with a full ice maker.

The bedroom was inviting, and warm. Doors opened to overlook the courtyard, which must be incredible in the late spring or early fall. The beds were by Duxiana. I have heard the commercials for Dux beds on Newsradio 880 for years and have always wanted to try them. Unfortunately, they were not for us. A little too firm for my tastes.

The bathrooms were a marble paradise with a huge soaking tub and a walk in shower with a rain shower head. The robes were soft and towels plentiful. The toiletries were by Red Flower and were full sized (nice touch) and smelled incredible. You have to love the energy drink powder, yumm...zoom!

After an evening out on the town, we retired to bed and in the A.M. ordered room service breakfast. The sausage was yummy and the eggs were good enough to comment about, the were organic from an upstate farm.

We had appointments at the spa, Shibui for 11 A.M. two 50 minute relaxation Swedish treatments. We were greeted by our therapists who proceeded kneed, rub and stretch us to a slumbery bliss. Let me take a minute to talk about the spa and pool. Wow, unbelievable. It was very warm in the pool area, with plenty of seating and lounge chairs. The spa locker rooms had steam showers that you did not want to leave.

After the spa, our overnight was coming to a close. We stopped by the drawing room for coffee and were surprised to see that Mel Gibson chose to do the same at the table next to us. A cool way to close out a very cool overnight!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

My girl and I have a tradition that we've started, which is to take a Friday night once every month or every other month and stay in a hotel in the city. Even though we both live here in our own nice apartments, it's nice to stay in a new place and have a romantic night in. The Greenwich Hotel was the place we picked for November 2009.

So far we've stayed at the Standard Hotel twice and the Gramercy Park Hotel once, and both have been fantastic experiences. This time we opted for something different, and thanks to Tablethotels.com, where I am a Tablet Plus member, we found this charming hotel. I had been to the restaurant, Locanda Verde, before, but I had never been inside the hotel. I'm glad we checked in.

i called the day of check-in to confirm my reservation and was told that we were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite from the Greenwich Deluxe room whicih we had originally booked for $695. When I arrived, I found out that the upgrade was no longer available because they had run out of room. I explained this to the desk clerk and how I had been told I was already upgraded and that they had not mentioned that it was "subject to availability." Well, instead of telling me that I was wrong, the desk clerk did some creative thinking and gave me the double upgrade to the corner suite, which was amazing.

The entire decor of the hotel is very European and reminds me of my time in London at the Mandarin Oriental. The bathroom is huge and marbled, and there are some very cool things like glass doors that swing open for the shower and the toilet, which are located in little compartments side by side. There is a large sunken tub that is wonderful for romantic evenings in, as well. And the bathroom amenities were full-size, like the SLS in Beverly Hills, where I stayed a few months ago for business.

The bed was very comfortable, and this room had a nice corner view of Greenwich and N. Moore. The room was decorated as if you had lived there for a decade, and everything was tasteful and of high quality. The old has an old, homey feel, and it doesn't feel like a hotel, which we both loved.

All of the munchies at the minibar were free, as were the non-alcoholic drinks--a very nice change. At check-in, we were given a nice bottle of cabernet and two fresh-baked cookies, along with two letters welcoming us (actually, a letter and a card), and a $50 spa voucher. (Some of these were benefits from being a Tablet Plus member.)

Even though our room was on the fourth floor, it was nice and quiet, and we had a romantic evening and then slept soundly the next morning.

Because of the Tablet Plus status, we actually had a guaranteed 4 p.m. late checkout, but we ended up checking out by 2 p.m. Sad, too--I would have loved to have stayed. There was a pool (rare in Manhattan), but we didn't have a chance to use it.

One more thing...we had dinner downstairs at Locanda Verde. The food is superb, and it has the feel of a neighborhood joint combined with something hipper. The food is amazing--try the ricotta cheese appetizer, the blue crab crostini, the pumpkin agnolotti, the mama's ravioli, and the lamb meatball sliders.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

This is a fantastic hotel if you'd like to try something different to the classic NYC Manhattan hotel experience but still enjoy your 5* luxury. We were on a trip for my birthday and stayed in a Corner Suite which was much better than it looks in the pictures and not noisey at all (fourth floor). The room was very beautiful with a dining table, wet bar and sofas and had the feel of an Italian Villa more than a hotel room in NYC. Everything has already been said about the massive bathroom, luxury full size organic toiletries, wonderful ambiance of public rooms and great food in the restaurant. We found the staff very friendly and polite and even got a personal letter from the General Manager sent to our home thanking us for our comments on our experience at the hotel. If you do any research at all into the background of the building of this hotel and Robert De Niro's personal input into the decor and fittings you will appreciate the effort that has gone into all aspects of this unique hotel. We had a wonderful time and will definately be back. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Stayed here to try it out as previously stayed at Soho House (fav), Mercer (2nd fav) and The Bowery (least fav of the three).

My wife and I love design hotels, and The Greenwich lived up to expectations in terms of decor in most cases - in general really well done and good atmosphere all round. Borderline 'Swiss chalet' in some areas, but overall a good, warm design. We stayed in a deluxe Greenwich, and a few weird fittings in the room didn't seem to go very well (chandelier for one), but this was offset by the size, bathrooms and overall feel.

Staff were friendly and helpful in many cases - but there's certainly room for improvement - at the front desk in particular - and the speed of service in the communal areas could certainly be improved.

The spa is as good as it looks in the pictures, although the spa treatments seemed totally over the top price-wise - even for a hotel at this level. It's about double of similar places so I gave it a miss although I would have liked to try.

The Italian restaurant (which also served breakfast) was also good - although the breakfast itself was very lacking in terms of any kind of self service items (juice, cereals etc). By lacking i mean non-existent, with menu ordering only.

The courtyard's lovely.

There were a few negatives, and they would make me think twice about staying again.

Noise: The room was very noisy - we could hear another room like the occupants were in ours. May have been through the air vents or something. Unfortunately for us, the guests in that room were [--] all through the night and were [--] movie loud.
Several attempts to address this at front desk and get moved were pretty much dismissed and ignored. They said they were full, but to pay this money and not get any sleep is ridiculous - am sure they had higher spec rooms and should have moved us. Not good.

Perhaps that wouldn't have been quite so bad if the garbage truck didn't stop by outside our room at about 4:30-5am every morning for an hour, crushing rubbish. We had a room on the North Moore side, 4th floor, and I was woken up every morning - after an already reduced sleep. Not good again.

The best part of the room was the free basket of snacks and all soft drinks and water being free - not only that but they're topped up each day! A very nice touch.

Having checked my bill, it looks like they charged the posting of a letter I gave them at checkout to my credit card - £0.64p. Nothing technically wrong with that - but seems a bit petty and has never happened anywhere I've stayed before.

I've never stayed Tribeca before, and thought it was a nice change from Soho and Meatpacking, although in general we always walked into Soho as there's not too much to do around the area (although there is a great breakfast at Bubby's just round the corner)

All-in-all a good experience, but certainly wasn't made to feel special which is always what the end judgement comes down to. Why do these hotels insist on not having the front of house sorted out, and a bit more willing to please? Simple things like that are always the easiest to fix, and make the biggest difference to a guest.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
eddiewish6
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed here on a business trip. Am used to city sounds but the noises from the restaurants were awful. Kept us up all night. Though the courtyard is beautiful, why ruin the scene with a lat nigh restaurant where most of the dinners are not even staying in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Stayed here out of necessity (our hotel booking through a web service at another hotel was not honoured, and all else was booked), and paid well above what we planned, but...
It was beautiful, the staff were attentive, professional, yet casual and friendly. The room was comfortable, stylish, large, warm. "Free" treats, great toiletries, fab bathroom/shower.
And a spa in the basement!
Restaurants were A-1.
A great stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The Greenwich Hotel is probably the most tastefully decorated hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed at over 100 hotels in the last 5 years. However, it also the second most expensive...

I stayed at the Greenwich despite the hotel being out of my price range because it was the only available hotel on Manhattan during Labour weekend 2009. The hotel has a very pleasant lobby and bar, a cosy courtyard and a well equipped gym and spa, which I unfortunately just had a brief look at. It is located in a residential and quiet part of Greenwich, but there is no shortage of restaurants and cafes nearby.

My room had lovely wooden floors, a very comfortable bed, electric curtains, excellent sound proofing, excellent AC system and a beautiful bathroom. Add to free non alcoholic drinks and snacks and I felt right at home.

My only complaint would be the free wifi, which was much too slow and hampered my work. Dont stay here if you need fast internet. For a romantic getaway, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Greenwich Hotel? Share your experiences!