“Expected a little more” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 452 hotels in New York City
santa barbara
“Expected a little more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

After traveling in Iceland for 8 nights I was really looking forward to my first stay at the Greenwich Hotel and relaxing in our room before another long flight home. Our suite, room 501, was beautiful. I believe it was a studio suite as there was no separation between bedroom and living area. It did have a powder room in the entry way in addition to the full bathroom. The bathroom had a large marble soaking tub that filled up incredibly quickly, a separate marble shower, double sink, water closet with bidet and a beautiful mosaic tile floor. The bed was comfortable, pillows a bit too soft and the bed headboard, if not antique, looked it- dark wood with inlaid star- really beautiful. The sitting area had a very cozy leather couch, coffee table and a few chairs with table.

Our plan was to relax and have room service dinner while we watched the Olympics. The issue was the TV- it would play for 30 minutes and then shut off and could not be turned back on. It had somehow been set to a sleep timer which we could not turn off so the hotel sent up a tech to fix it. He fixed it and then within 10 minutes the TV remote alerted us that the batteries were out. My husband had 2 spare in his bag so we replaced them. Ordered chicken caesar starter and Mac and cheese entree from room service. It arrived quickly and was great - a lot of chicken on the starter caesar and the size of the salad was not an appetizer size, definitely main course. The second time the TV went blank/turned off automatically and wouldn't turn back on, it happened while we were watching the Olympics in bed. Although we wanted to watch the games we didn't want to deal with someone coming up to our room again so we went to bed.

The next morning while I was having a bath and husband was watching Olympic curling it cut out again (3rd time), of course during the last few seconds of the event. The TV did turn on again but it took a few minutes. We had a late check out and returned to the room after breakfast downstairs to watch more Olympics and that is the 4th time the TV decided to not work. Again the tech came up to the room but this time we had audio but no picture. The tech couldn't figure it out so he brought us an extra TV to our room.

We ordered room service lunch- chicken caesar and vegetable sandwich- it arrived and we failed to check the order before the server left. We received a chicken-less caesar salad and a bacon grilled cheese sandwich. I almost picked up the phone to call but we didn't have the time to wait for a new order to be made.

We love small boutique hotels because of their attention to detail and exemplary service. For the 1300 a night room, we definitely expected more.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just got back from NYC and a fabulous stay at the Greenwich hotel. From the super friendly doormen to the front desk and housekeeping, service was beyond compare. Our room was spacious, beautiful and meticulously clean. We loved the free snacks and drinks in our room. The lounge are was very cozy and the food was great. We ate breakfast every morning in front of the roaring fire. Thank you for such a great experience. This will be our go to hotel for future visits to the city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Glen Ridge, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just spent an evening at the Greenwich Hotel and throughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in room 311 which (based on prior reviews) met our high expectations. The hotel has a kind-of far-east-meets-west but rustic/deco decor. While there, we took advantage of the Spa and both had excellent massages. The pool area is a nice retreat with its "old/traditional Japanese" decor. I had a good workout in the well equipped gym, then showered and swam laps in the pool (10 strokes to the lap) overall a nice work out. The pool attendant was helpful and offered post workout refreshments while I read the Times on my iPad (free WiFi throughout the hotel. Breakfast was relaxed and excellent (A John Stewart sighting and some other entertainment types). One Gripe: They don't offer any California Chardonnay and after dinner we wanted a wee dram of Port but they were out! Despite that oversight, I recommend this Hotel.

Stayed February 2014
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

In a city and a neighborhood that has more outstanding hotels than any other, it's hard to stand out in the crowd, but once again Robert DeNiro has managed to pull off the nearly impossible! Not only is his hotel a pet sanctuary (THEY REALLY LOVE DOGS), but the staff goes above and beyond to make sure that your stay is nothing less than perfect. The rooms are spacious, the Spa is one of the best...ever! Fabulous location, great reastaurant, great bar, what else needs to be said?

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Basel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I finally got a chance to stay at the Greenwich hotel. I used to live in NYC and whenever I visited the city I used it as an opportunity to check out different hotels. My experience at the Greenwich was nearly perfect. I liked its design, the courtyard, the homey and thoughtful designed room, the complementary snack basket, the freshly baked gourmet crispy oatmeal cookies, the selection of books in the room, the spacious and beautifully tiled bathroom, the lounge areas and the spa.

I also loved the location because it's not as touristy and walking distance to SoHo. I was able to run along the river every day during my stay. It's also walking distance to great restaurants in the neighborhood.

This is what other boutique hotels should benchmark after.

Room Tip: Amazing decor and attention to details there is no bad room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed for only one night (unfortunately) with my husband and it was pretty much perfect. We booked with an Am Ex Platinum card and were upgraded to a lovely room (#416). It had the most amazing bathroom with a gorgeous free-standing tub, plus awesome shower and a dry sauna... The room itself overlooked the inner courtyard and was super quiet. The manager left us a bottle of wine in the room with a note ("thanks for returning, enjoy your stay") which, considering we have only been there one other night about 2 years ago was quite nice.

We both enjoyed spa treatments and I love the indoor pool area. It is beyond relaxing - so peaceful and tranquil it really is hard to believe it's in NYC. Dinner at the restaurant was delicious as was breakfast in the lounge area the next morning. That was one of my favorite parts of the stay actually... getting up in the morning and having delicious coffee while chatting with the staff. Everyone who works at the hotel is super nice and helpful. It truly feels like staying in someone's really cool, awesome house. I think it's easily one of the best hotels in the city.

Room Tip: inner courtyard room was super quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Big room, perfect sheets, rainwater shower and a free mini bar refilled daily! These things alone would normally make a hotel stay for me but the Greenwich has so many extra touches of New York style including excellent staff and fabulous lounge areas around the hotel. If you want something understated and quite unique then this is the hotel for you.
Excellent location in TriBeCa, the cafe around the corner does a good matzo ball soup but the food in the hotel also looks delicious. It's worth getting one of the bigger rooms on a higher floor. Can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Greenwich Hotel? Share your experiences!