“Best hotel I've ever experienced” 5 of 5 stars

Greenwich Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   377 Greenwich St., New York City, NY 10013 (TriBeCa)   |
Ranked #28 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Best hotel I've ever experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Greenwich Hotel and had the most fabulous time. The service was superlative. All the staff were friendly and helpful and no request was a problem. They installed an extra bed in our room for our son, arranged a dinner booking at Locanda Verde (the fabulous hotel restaurant) and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The room and common areas were stylish and comfortable with soft furnishings to aide quiet conversation. The food from Locanda Verde was delicious and possibly the most enjoyable meal of our 2 week stay in Manhattan and we dined extensively!! The swimming pool area was sublime and equipped with a pool attendant to offer towels and herbal tea. I would definitely stay here again when I next return to New York. It is expensive but worth every single cent.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner and I have stayed at Greenwich Hotel 3 or 4 times. It's one of the many things we look fwd to when we visit and NYC is one of our favourite places to visit. Greenwich the area is lovely, relatively quiet and suburban-ish, so you can be in the city without being inundated with the hustle and bustle of city life? We like nicking down to Whole Foods nearby for a snack! The Duane Reade pharmacy across the street is great for picking up toothpaste etc, the kind of stuff we tend to forget when we travel. Greenwich Hotel is luxurious but discreet, none of that OTT glitzy stuff, there's an old world charm to the space, the rooms are gorgeous, and the bathrooms too (something I care very much about). They offer awesome body and shower products from Red Flower, and not in those dinky travel sized bottles either, which I really appreciate. There's also a basket of snacks to welcome guests in their room, and these are stocked with interesting American faves, not the usual Pringles in a tube you get in most hotels. The staff are warm and friendly without being obtrusive. The spa is worth a visit with good massages on offer. I don't swim, but if you did, you would probably enjoy the indoor pool, all set within a transplanted Japanese village 'hut' of some sort. Very aesthetically pleasing. Only criticism I have is that I think the breakfast restaurant offerings are a tad on the expensive side, and the range on offer is a little limited for my liking. (I struggle at that restaurant to have something small or light, but most of what's there is a bit heavy or decadent for me as a breakfast option.) But that's just me, overall, I can't complain, as I always look forward to my next visit, which is in a few days.

Room Tip: This isn't a hotel where the choice of rooms matter in terms of view. It's city blocks on ea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the kind of hotel that you're always hoping to find: stylish, discrete, luxurious. We stayed for 4 days and I will always stay there again when in Manhattan. The staff were attentive without being false or obsequious. Our room was large, beautifully decorated and easily accommodated an extra bed for our daughter. The food whether in the courtyard or the attached Locanda Verde restaurant was unfailingly excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for Labor Day weekend. It is by far my new favorite hotel in NY. The rooms are beautifully furnished and have tall ceilings. The bed was so comfortable and had crisp new sheets placed on it everyday. The service was great without being too formal. However, the best feature of this hotel is the restaurant. Guests are able to order off the Locanda Verde menu in the drawing room and courtyard. We ate here every day even if it was just for a glass of wine and appetizer. I don't plan on staying anywhere else in NY if I can avoid it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were really pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Good sized room with great freebie munchies, big shower room, fabulous bar with a real fire and a wonderfully quiet courtyard garden - ideal for breakfast and late afternoon / early evening drinks.

We had a king bed with amazing bed linen and although the room overlooked the street it was actually very quiet.

We received a $100 credit for the spa and I was able to use this towards a manicure in the room - amazing to be able to organise this without a pre-booking. The hotel front desk concierges were super helpful when I emailed from the UK to pre-book dinner for Saturday evening, recommending a walking tour and suggesting tickets to a baseball game on the Sunday afternoon, bth f which we did and really enjoyed.

Overall we rate the hotel highly and plan to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel was the base for our week's city holiday, it's in a great location with shops and restaurants nearby and the wonderful Battery City Park just a block away. We have three children 16, 14 and 9 and had two interconnecting rooms and everything was ready for us on arrival including, to the children's delight, a huge basket of free goodies which was replenished everyday. The children could hardly believe it. And after years of telling them never to touch anything in a minibar, we were able to tell them to have whatever they liked, apart from the alcohol, as it was all complimentary. Breakfast in the Locanda Verde was exceptional. We had started off in the courtyard but found the service slow and we enjoyed eating in the restaurant much more.
The maid service in the rooms was wonderful, beautiful fresh linen everyday, the best soaps and lotions ever, the decor was fab, it was a real pleasure to be there. Wonderfully quiet at night too.
We headed back to the hotel for a swim at about 5pm everyday and the pool area really is something else. Again, free drinks and snacks on the side, everything you could need in the changing rooms. I did have to shush the children if other guests were around because it is a very 'zen' atmosphere but it was often just us using the pool.
All in all, probably the most pleasant hotel stay I/we have ever had.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Really enjoyed my recent stay at The Greenwich, the eclectic decor in the rooms especially the fabulous Moroccan tiled bathroom, the very zen pool and delightful courtyard. Location is a little out of the way but you expect that and the views out to the river are very nice. Given the reviews my expectations really were very high and the only area I felt let the hotel down was some of the staff. Definitely didn't find the front desk staff particularly great, they were not that clear on details such as breakfast times and also when trying to settle the bill. I really did enjoy it though and would like to return if only for the amazingly comfortable bed and pillows!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Greenwich Hotel? Share your experiences!