“A superb hotel-stylish luxury in Tribeca” 5 of 5 stars

Greenwich Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   377 Greenwich St., New York City, NY 10013 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #23 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London
“A superb hotel-stylish luxury in Tribeca”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the kind of hotel that you're always hoping to find: stylish, discrete, luxurious. We stayed for 4 days and I will always stay there again when in Manhattan. The staff were attentive without being false or obsequious. Our room was large, beautifully decorated and easily accommodated an extra bed for our daughter. The food whether in the courtyard or the attached Locanda Verde restaurant was unfailingly excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for Labor Day weekend. It is by far my new favorite hotel in NY. The rooms are beautifully furnished and have tall ceilings. The bed was so comfortable and had crisp new sheets placed on it everyday. The service was great without being too formal. However, the best feature of this hotel is the restaurant. Guests are able to order off the Locanda Verde menu in the drawing room and courtyard. We ate here every day even if it was just for a glass of wine and appetizer. I don't plan on staying anywhere else in NY if I can avoid it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were really pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Good sized room with great freebie munchies, big shower room, fabulous bar with a real fire and a wonderfully quiet courtyard garden - ideal for breakfast and late afternoon / early evening drinks.

We had a king bed with amazing bed linen and although the room overlooked the street it was actually very quiet.

We received a $100 credit for the spa and I was able to use this towards a manicure in the room - amazing to be able to organise this without a pre-booking. The hotel front desk concierges were super helpful when I emailed from the UK to pre-book dinner for Saturday evening, recommending a walking tour and suggesting tickets to a baseball game on the Sunday afternoon, bth f which we did and really enjoyed.

Overall we rate the hotel highly and plan to return.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel was the base for our week's city holiday, it's in a great location with shops and restaurants nearby and the wonderful Battery City Park just a block away. We have three children 16, 14 and 9 and had two interconnecting rooms and everything was ready for us on arrival including, to the children's delight, a huge basket of free goodies which was replenished everyday. The children could hardly believe it. And after years of telling them never to touch anything in a minibar, we were able to tell them to have whatever they liked, apart from the alcohol, as it was all complimentary. Breakfast in the Locanda Verde was exceptional. We had started off in the courtyard but found the service slow and we enjoyed eating in the restaurant much more.
The maid service in the rooms was wonderful, beautiful fresh linen everyday, the best soaps and lotions ever, the decor was fab, it was a real pleasure to be there. Wonderfully quiet at night too.
We headed back to the hotel for a swim at about 5pm everyday and the pool area really is something else. Again, free drinks and snacks on the side, everything you could need in the changing rooms. I did have to shush the children if other guests were around because it is a very 'zen' atmosphere but it was often just us using the pool.
All in all, probably the most pleasant hotel stay I/we have ever had.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Really enjoyed my recent stay at The Greenwich, the eclectic decor in the rooms especially the fabulous Moroccan tiled bathroom, the very zen pool and delightful courtyard. Location is a little out of the way but you expect that and the views out to the river are very nice. Given the reviews my expectations really were very high and the only area I felt let the hotel down was some of the staff. Definitely didn't find the front desk staff particularly great, they were not that clear on details such as breakfast times and also when trying to settle the bill. I really did enjoy it though and would like to return if only for the amazingly comfortable bed and pillows!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Planning
We decided about 5 days beforehand to go to NYC. While we are frequent travelers to NYC, we rarely spend any time below E. 60th St, given that both of my sisters live on the Upper East Side. This side, due to my kid's last minute holiday to SC to visit the grandparents, we found ourselves with a spare weekend on our hands. One of the goals was to visit my college buddy, who lives in Brooklyn (which feels as far away as the moon when I'm up on the UES with my kids) and to visit parts of Manhattan that we hadn't really spent a ton of time at. My fist inclination was the FS, which I guess is in midtown. However, my wife decided she would rather be further downtown so we turned our attention to the Greenwich Hotel vs Trump Soho. She decided that the Trump Soho was too large for her tastes, therefore we decided on the Greenwich (plus she liked the neighborhood guide on their website).

Booking:
This summer, the Greenwich is running a special via Virtuoso. Upgrade at time of booking if available. The other amenities include $100 spa credit and $25 per person breakfast credit. I was looking at a regular room and the things that I look for are: King bed and separate shower/tub. The Greenwich, however, poses a difficult dilema. The entry level room is the Courtyard, which is queen bed/shower. The next level is Greenwich, which is queen bed/shower/tub followed by superior (king/shower) and deluxe (king/shower/tub in some rooms). The unfortunate nature of the hotels design (and correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a fairly new build ie within past 6 years) is that there is no possible way to guarantee a king bed/tub unless one books a suite. Armed with this information, and the only availability being Courtyard, Superior, and Deluxe I opted to book a Superior room with an upgrade to Deluxe at time of booking (note I did ask if I could pay for a Greenwich Room price with upgrade to Superior; however they were not willing to do that). In addition I also asked my travel agent to request a separate shower/tub combination. She noted that she strongly requested such. In addition, I also asked if the spa credit could be substituted with F and B credit, but the hotel noted that the restaurant was separately owned and could not do so. My agent also noted my arrival time (noon) as well as my wife's birthday.

Arrival/Location:
BAL-NYP via Amtrak. Unfortunately, the NE corridor was running behind so we arrived in NYC about 15 minutes behind our scheduled arrival time. Still, we were at the hotel about 1215 after taking the subway line 1 from Penn Station to Franklin St then walking about 5 minutes. Fairly easy access to public transport nearby, with the ACE within a couple blocks as well. The entrance of the hotel is fairly muted and low key and the area itself seems a bit subdued.. However, it's about a 10 minute walk to the hustle and bustle of Soho, while Tribeca itself was close by.
Of note, there is currently some construction going on on N. Moore so be wary of that. The check-in area is pretty small and we were helped quickly. Unfortunately our room was not quite ready yet so we dropped our bags off and left our phone number and went to Eataly for lunch (very fun!). Around 2:15 we received a phone call that our room was ready.

Re-Arrival:
We were welcomed back; they noted that we had been upgraded from a superior to a deluxe room. After a quick dip of the credit card, two agents escorted us to our room on the third floor. Room 311, facing N.Moore. Noted as a Deluxe room. Unfortunately, only a shower present. I asked the agent about my tub request and she remarked that she had not seen any record of it but she would check again downstairs. She went down and checked; called back apologizing that there was indeed a request but that unfortunately they didn't have any rooms with a tub available at this point. Another call came back about 5 minutes later with an offer to move us to a superior room with a tub the next day. However, after discovering it was a tub/shower combo I declined. Two lovely cookies awaited us.

Public Spaces:
The courtyard was a nice place to read in the morning or have breakfast. They also built a fire in the drawing room which made an excellent and cozy place for a night cap. It was all very intimate and quite nice place to escape the hustle/bustle of NYC.

Room:
Underwhelming I must say. Upon entering a small hall the bathroom is off the the left a lovely refurbished armoire to the right. In the armoire there is a mini bar which is complimentary except for alcohol. Nice selection of beverages including Mexican coke, Perrier, Aranciata San Pelligrino, some juices and some nice looking Ginger ale as well. The mini bar was not restocked at turndown, only in the morning. A fairly nice selection of snacks were offered too including M and Ms, Cape Cod potatoe chips, nuts and some nice looking pretzels. Alcohol prices ranged from the rediculous to the reasonable. $65 for a half bottle of Stoli is ridiculous, but $65 for a half bottle of Hudson Distillery whiskey is actually quite reasonable. No coffee available in room. I couldn't actually ascertain the location of the safe until the last morning when I was checking the drawers; it was disguised as a drawer. Very nice ascetically but I didn't really think to look there.

Next with the bathroom. Looking at the floor plans on the website, the bathroom was an exact copy of the Superior room bathroom. I understand that some of the deluxe bathrooms do not have a tub, but I was figuring that the floorplan would be closer to the deluxe bathroom minus a tub; especially the separate toilet. As I've said, the floorplan was the exact same as the superior room. The toilet behind the door was not ideal and although the website quotes an "oversized" rain shower it seemed closer to a normal sized shower. Probably about 2x4 ft would be my guess, if that. Another minus a small gap at the bottom of the shower door, which allowed a significant amount of water to flow onto the floor. The rain shower was quite nice and very good pressure though. The toiletries were Red Flower I think. Some sort of local NYC brand. Quite nice; 3 ounce bottles were given. Unfortunately, it was only midway through my shower the first night that I realized that they hadn't stocked any conditioner. A gentle reminder the next morning resulted in delivery. The hand soaps are excellent and my wife actually wanted to take them home.I quite liked the Morrocan tile look. Two bathrobes were provided; both the same size. It fit my wife just fine, however, it was quite small on me...

The room itself is reasonably comfortable and quite large by NYC standards. The view was of the construction, though there wasn't any construction throughout the weekend. A pocket door separated it from the hallway and also helped reduce the amount of noise (which actually was not insignificant). The bed was Duxiana, which I guess is Swedish. I was excited to try it because my previous Swedish bed experience (Ikea) was definitely not luxurious. We sleep on a Heavenly bed at home and I felt that the Duxiana bed was springy and soft in comparison. I didn't care for it, but maybe that's just a personal preference. Sheets were Frette and excellent. Our room did not have a couch, but a chair with a table and a lounger type chair. The blackout blinds worked quite well. A large LCD TV was available, but we never turned it on. Free wifi The high ceilings made the room feel quite airy and light. However, the only thing that seemed to separate the deluxe room from the superior room is 50 sq ft...

Food and Beverage
Well just food. We had breakfast in the courtyard one morning. Their signature Italian soft poached eggs and sausage hash was nice and I quite enjoyed the crispy potatoes. The next day we opted for room service and the food arrived within 20 minutes. The zucchini fritata was quite good, but I was disappointed by the zucchini bread and blueberry polenta muffin. The blueberry doughnut was excellent. It really was. Of note, they don't bring a table for room service and the furniture in the room wasn't optimal for dining. I ended up sitting on an ottoman, which was fine.

Spa/Pool
The pool in the basement was very lovely. The beams are either Japanese or Chinese, transported and reassembled. Quite a nice treat to be able to take a dip in the city, especially being without a tub. It was very serene and not a madhouse like I imagine the Trump Soho would be. We were offered a choice of sake or tea, which was a nice touch. There was also a sitting area off to the right, which would have made a lovely place for a hot tub. My wife had a Shiatsu massage which she quite liked but do note that the treatments include a mandatory 20% gratuity so a 60 minute massage is about $250. The workout area looked nice but I did not venture in.

Overall, I would say the service was merely okay, if that. Definitely not as polished the Four Seasons. My wife actually found them a little snotty at first but that evaporated after more interaction. I was quite disappointed that they missed my request for a tub. I could definitely handle not getting a room with a tub because of occupancy issues but to miss the request completely is fairly inexcusable. On negative tripadvisor review, the manager notes that almost anything is available with a quick call including Nespresso machines. I wanted coffee in my room so I asked the front desk if coffee was available in my room and they replied "no unfortunately". I didn't press the issue, but the GM's reply gives the appearance that they are willing to go the extra mile. In practice however, it seems that that isn't exactly true. They also missed my wife's birthday, which my travel agent had also noted which wasn't a huge deal. We had excellent service in the restaurant and lounge and the pool. Excellent. Housekeeping was okay; new sheets were placed on our bed every day (different trim). However, I had left the wine opener out during the day and the turn down just left it in the same place (askew). Finally, not that it's a big deal but I was never addressed by name except for when I ordered room service where I was addressed as Mr. Firstname, which I thought was strange

Overall/Conclusion:
Pros: nice pool/pool service. good massage. Excellent toiletries. Nice courtyard/drawing room. Good breakfasts. Minibar is nice. Tall ceilings
Cons: Limited king room selection with bathtub. Poor attention to detail. Missed the little touches.

In conclusion, I would not return. Primarily because in the future I want to guarantee myself a king room with a tub but I can't afford to book a Studio suite.Reading my review, I question if I had unrealistic expectations. Perhaps. This hotel was much more expensive than I had previously budgeted for this trip (room rates higher than both the Trump Soho and the FS) and perhaps my expectations were unrealistic, however, I really feel that they missed/overlooked my requests. I don't want to be a DYKWIA and raise a big fuss but it is important to me. I really did enjoy the pool and the public spaces though. It's quite a nice, cozy intimate hotel and I wish I had had a better experience.

Room Tip: Greenwich Room is guaranteed separate tub/shower. Only queen bed.