“Perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 452 hotels in New York City
Montreal, Canada
“Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This was my second stay and it was, as before,perfect. Everything in the hotel is designed to make it an exceptionally lovely and relaxed stay. It was greatly appreciated. I'd say also that given the level of service, amenities and the beauty of the place (not to mention that tastefully--in all senses--curated snack basket in the room), it is one of the very best values in New York city. (I've paid almost as much for a far less outstanding stay.) A very special hotel with exceptionally warm and efficient staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is superb an oasis in the middle of busy NYC. Spent 4 nights here with my partner for my 50th. Bedrooms excellent, like a country house, wooden floors, very comfy bed, great bathroom. It's not cheap but worth it for a treat. Locanda Verda restaurant was great if portions a bit small - they also cater for the hotel and breakfast was out of this world. Spa and swimming area superb. Bar & lounge superb and so relaxing you won't want to leave.

Only small criticism was staff are very young and someone "old school" is missing at reception. It's too casual for such a pricey hotel and they were unsure of location of recommendations around the corner.

A very small gripe though - it's a great hotel.

Room Tip: Some road works on the greenwich road side (room 308) started early in the morning but we had jet la...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

After some indecision over this rating, I am giving this hotel 4 stars, even though it is outstanding in so many ways, because ultimately there are just enough issues that prevent me from conferring that 5th star. Chief among them,quite simply, is price; this is by far the most expensive hotel room I have ever taken in NYC - $700 a night before all the taxes - for a room that was smaller than what I get for several hundred dollars less at my usual hotel, and with a bathroom that doesn't compare by any measure. The bathroom was probably the most disappointing aspect of the room (and we did NOT take the lowest level of room - we had the Superior Greenwich room).

But we wanted to stay in this part of town for this trip, and the Greenwich certainly seemed to promise the most charismatic and exclusive ambiance from among the choices. And on that score it definitely delivers - the public spaces are just gorgeous, and when it's cold they keep the fire roaring in the library all day. We didn't get to use the outdoor patio because of the cold, but in a warmer season, that is going to be a great place to start the day! And breakfast would definitely be more convenient and comfortable out there, as it is set up with actual tables and chairs. Instead, we had to take our breakfast in the library where you eat from the low sofa tables, which are perfect for drinks and snacks, but much more difficult and uncomfortable when having to eat with a fork and knife from a plate. But there is quite possibly no more lovely, inviting spot in New York to relax with a drink - it is beautifully and interestingly decorated, with subdued lighting and deep plush leather sofas that you can really sink into.....and that is precisely what makes it less comfortable, and even awkward, for eating breakfast. And there simply aren't enough spots available for having your breakfast on many mornings, and you'll have to wait for a place to free up. I think this is a serious issue that this hotel must address somehow. However, while you might wish you could be at a proper dining table while you eat it, you will not be disappointed with the breakfast as it is terrific, whatever you order.

We found the rooms charmingly eclectic, but not exactly posh, if that is what you like. They had lots of extras, like plenty of interesting books, and of course all those free treats, which are fun and not your average mini-bar fare. (And they re-stock what you eat!) Our room on the 5th floor was really quiet, and no city noises intruded at all,even though we had a street-side room (as opposed to courtyard). It is just altogether a quieter part of town, particularly during the nights. We liked the hardwood floors, with the throw rugs scattered about, and the furnishings were inviting and comfortable. The fairly small bathroom - with only a shower and a single sink - in no way can be considered luxury. We are used to much more opulent bathrooms, particularly at this price point, but in other ways it is up to 5-star standards with plush and plentiful towels, bath robes, slippers, and great toiletries. The free wifi is something other hotels in the luxury category should be offering, and I commend the Greenwich on this.

We loved staying here, don't get me wrong; the hotel is full of character and incredibly elegant, and it excels at creating a boutique environment. However, when I think about what I could get for $700 a night elsewhere, I'm not sure I would stay here again. If you can afford the splurge, or can get a better deal than I was able to, you will love the atmosphere of the hotel, and if money is no object, then go for a higher category of room that comes with a soaking tub and more square footage.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our first few nights in New York. On arriving at the hotel the reception staff were fabulous, they were welcoming, knowledgeable and went the extra mile without being asked. The room we stayed in was quite small, but decked out very nicely- the only way to describe The Greenwich would be funky bohemian. The little extras in the room stood out nicely-the complimentary non-alcoholic minibar, the different linen styles/colours each day. The bed was okay, the bathroom not brilliant-no exhaust system, no shower curtain/screen so water flowed into the bathroom every time we showered.
The best extra was when you place a wake up call, 10-15 minutes after the call is received coffee and tea is delivered to the room-loved it.
The biggest issue we had was no tea/coffee facilities in the room, this was apparent in all hotels we stayed at in the US-bit of a money grab I think.
Whilst we had a lovely stay, would we stay again-I don't know, and was it worth the money per might-I dont think so.
I would however recommend the hotel as it is worth a stay at.

Room Tip: Make sure you put in for a wake up call-the coffee and tea delivered in the morning is great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I came here to have a massage after a friend highly recommended it to me. I liked the idea of a Japanese escape in TriBeCa, so I booked a "Healing Birch" massage to soothe a lingering back injury. The spa is underground, in a two-story complex that takes you away from the pace and noises of the city and into a Japanese relaxation haven. The decor is minimalistic, comprised mostly of wooden features. The bathroom is ultra-modern (they even have toilets with built-in bidets). There is a pool, showers, and steam rooms at your disposal, to use either before or after a treatment.
I loved every moment of my massage. The masseuse used scented oils with aromatherapeutic and inflammation reducing properties. Heating packs were also applied to the sore areas de-contract muscles in order to have a deeper, and more effective massage.
The one annoyance I had was that the hotel reserves certain spa services, and usually the more affordable/basic ones, to hotel guests only.
While I was getting my massage underground, my husband brought a book to the hotel library bar. There was a wood-burning fire, antique rugs, and comfortable leather chairs and sofas. He ordered a single shot of bulleit, which the bartender generously poured (almost two shots). During his hour at the bar, he saw three a-list celebrities, and was treated as one of them by the very accommodating hotel staff. There is even an adjacent courtyard where smoking is permitted.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We visited this hotel in November and were immediately pleased with service. The unique interiors were comfortable and the spa was excellent. On a spontaneous note, we went to a nearby restaurant called Cuba and found it to be a great find, rolling cigars in the corner!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the Greenwich last year just before the Christmas season and we are happily returning to do the same again.
It is a star studded hotel and yet very low key and elegant. It is, by far, my favorite hotel in the world.
Robert Deniro has done a great job to make it feel comfortable and yet classy. The staff are very accommodating. The bedrooms are beauitiful with very comfortable beds and fun delicious stacks of old fashioned candy and snacks.
Can't wait to return !!!!

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room. It was beautiful and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Greenwich Hotel? Share your experiences!