“Seriously consider this hotel if you're visiting NYC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square

You added Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   339 W. 39th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #138 of 458 Hotels in New York City
London, England
“Seriously consider this hotel if you're visiting NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Got this hotel through Bookit.com as a "mystery hotel", and wasn't too sure what to expect. I have stayed in many hotels in New York, and this was a pleasant surprise! Compared to many in NYC, the rooms are a good size, and in good condition. The bathroom, however, is small and basic, and it might have just been my room, but the toilet lid was missing (so had to be careful that I didn't knock things with my elbow into the toilet bowl when brushing my teeth!).

Staff are friendly, and seemed to really want to help you when you needed something. Check in was quick and easy. Each room has free wi-fi which worked well and was a good, fast connection. There's only about 6 rooms on each floor, so you might be disturbed by the elevator at night. As it's an "extended stay" hotel, there's only housekeeping once a week (I didn't mind this but it might bother people with children).

Each room has a well-equipped kitchen, and they give you complimentary sachets of coffee for the coffee maker (or fresh coffee is available in reception). There's also a small shop in reception selling basic supplies, but there are several large branches of Duane Reed near the hotel which have more choice.

Some reviewers have remarked on the location - it's about a 10 minute walk to Times Square, and 5 minutes to the subway station (42nd st and Port Authority), or 10 minutes to Penn Station/Madison Square Garden. The street the hotel is on is quieter than you'd expect, but I never felt unsafe including at night.

Would definitely stay here again - you pay a lot more for a much poorer experience in other NYC hotels. And few have the advantage of this hotel's location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Awesome place to stay. Hotel was fairly new so everything was above acceptable! Washer/Dryer facility located within the hotel which is a great help if you have children. Room had temperature control which was excellent because I had the flu during my vacation. There's no room service, but with all the extra amenties there it makes up for what you don't get.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

My bf & I only stayed one night at the Candlewood, but I can say that the room was large for NYC "budget" hotels. It was also very clean and even tho we only used the fridge, it was nice to have a kitchen. We poked around in the cabinets and they stock them with mixing bowls, a colander, silverware and tupperware among other things. I thought was a nice touch for people who are staying for some time. We had a queen-size suite and the bed was comfortable enough. There was room for a nice recliner and a flat-screen tv on the dresser. The bathroom was very clean with more than enough towels. The water pressure was pretty good, altho we were on the 6th floor, so we shouldn't have had too much trouble. I was worried when I discovered the room was right next to the elevators, but we didn't experience any noise from the elevators...just from the people leaving the hotel the next morning. The staff was friendly and the location is excellent. We always take the bus into city and 339 W. 39th is right around the corner from the Port Authority. There's a street canopy for construction covering the sidewalk which always makes it a little more scary than it would be otherwise late at night, but we had no issues at all. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

My Daughter & I celebrated our birthdays in NYC and stayed here for a full week. I cannot say enough about this property. EVERYTHING was brand new therefore it was EXTREMELY CLEAN!! The staff couldn't have been nicer. Allyson was sweet as can be and each staff memeber always greeted you when they saw you. They have an "honor system store" in the lobby which I had never seen before. You simply write down what you took and hand it to the front desk! Stocked with everything you may need on a whim. My Daughter loved the fact that you could check out DVD's at no cost and there is even free use of the laundry facilities! The room was immaculate and perfect size for the 2 of us. Full kitchen with microwave & dishwasher, dining table & even a recliner! It was nice to heat up a snack after pounding the pavement all day. Free wireless and you can even use the computers/printers next door at the Holiday Inn for free as well. Great location, subway right around the corner and a great little cafe next door. We loved the Street Vendor on the corner every morning for their huge croissants, donuts, etc. (The Lady who runs it is so kind)! I felt safe with my 7 year old Daughter at night, lots of Police always on the streets and always busy. We were on the 32nd floor so no street noise, but if you come to Manhattan I dare you to find any hotel that can sound proof their facility enough to ever fix that! We will definetly be back!! And a HUGE Thank You to Allyson at the front desk for making our stay so great! :-)

Tracey & Raegan
Tampa, FL.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
FDManger, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you choosing our location for your stay and we are happy you had a great stay. We hope if you return to New York that you will consider us again for your stay.

Front Desk Manager
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I actually traded a time share week thru RCI for a week at Candlewood. I was very surprised to find a trade week available in NYC, so I booked it quickly. I was not disappointed at all; in fact, I was impressed. The suite was very clean with a fridge, sink, dishwasher and two-burner stove! I didn't cook, but certainly used the fridge and microwave for leftovers etc. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was quite nice with great towels. Only thing I would add is an extra shelf or rack for toiletries etc. The location was great - just a short walk to time square, close to subway and bus stops. I always felt safe as there was a flurry of activity at any time I was out. The staff was great and always courteous. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I agree with the positive reviews. The room was spotless (always my main concern). My next concern is the bed which was very comfortable with clean crisp bedding. It was small, yet comfortable. It was so nice to have the kitchen facilities even though we really didn't need them. Everything looked like new and was well kept. We stayed one night. They let us check in early and the valet took our car to the parking garage for us. When we walked back to our hotel after the theater we were not the least bit afraid. What a total BARGIN for 99+20 for parking thru Travelzoo.com where I find all our hotels!!!!! We have stayed in smaller rooms, not as new in NYC and paid at least 75-100 more on a special deal. I would totally recommend this hotel and we look forward to our next stay in March that we booked already!!!! If you take a right when you come out of the Candlewood and walk to the next block and make a right there is a great deli where you can get fresh sandwiches, pastries, coffee, etc that we walked to around midnight with no problems. Its a bit darker than some areas but we were comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
BRONX, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Yes the room was small and I could hear everything going on in the hallway, but it was great. In NY you have to expect anything and everything. I actually live in The Bronx and take time to have what I call "city weekends". So I found this room for $99 and I was estatic. It was cute and had a kitchenette and free WiFi. I can see how an out of towner may be a little concerned by the area. But the street is busy with traffic and bustles with people coming and going from the 3 hotels and the club on the corner. a short pleasant walk to Times Sq and all that it has to offer. Plenty of cheap eats on 8th and 9th Aves. Of course if you are looking for service and decor of a Ritz Carlton or a Westin then you have to pay that kind of money. If you want a clean cozy room with easy access to shopping, shows, restaurants, and the bright lights of Broadway then this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square? Share your experiences!