“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square

Save Saved
You added Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   339 W. 39th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #117 of 449 hotels in New York City
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

due to some changes in meeting schedules, I needed to book a room in Mid town on short notice. Most fo the main hotels I like staying at were priced on the insane side, ($400+), so I booked something at the Candlewood figuring it was only for a night and at $199 - who am I to say no.

My expectations were minimal and I was definitely surprised at how nice the facility was. Don't get me wrong, it is not a 4 star facility, but what it offers, it does so very well. Clean, quiet facility with nice people working there. If I had any gripe, it was that it's location, (W 39th), is kind of on the dumpy side - but if you walk East on W39th, you emerge rather quickly in the middle of everything.

If you are looking for a budget conscious place to stay that is nicer than most of this ilk in Manhatten - this is the place....

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor will it will be a little quieter...This is not specific to this hotel - it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
victoria d, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello and thank you for leaving us a review on tripadvisor.com. It is a pleasure to here that we exceeded your expectations. We would also like to thank you for recommending it to others. We hope you decide to join us again in the future. Until then happy travels.

1,154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a great place to stay. Our first impression was excellent as the front desk staff person was very friendly and helpful. Not only that, they had Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies at the desk! The room was a decent size and had a sink, refrigerator and dishwasher. We were only there for a couple of nights, but this would be really good for a long term stay. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom was clean - everything you would want in a room. I would absolutely stay here again and look forward to doing so!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings from the Big Apple! First we would like to thank you for leaving such a nice review about our property on tripadvisor.com. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return in the future. We are also glad to hear you were able to enjoy your fresh baked cookies, that is always a nice way to start over any hotel stay. We hope to see you soon!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I regularly stay in the Candlewood for business when I'm travelling in NYC. I love this hotel. It's in a terrific location, close to major transit lines and is within walking distance of many of the NYC landmarks.

The staff at this hotel are wonderful and are always pleasant when I arrive.
The rooms are great and I love having the suite-style option with a fridge and microwave (and others, i.e. stove, dishwasher, full sink). The laundry is complimentary which is also a great feature. As a Priority Club member, I spun the wheel at check-in and won $3 to spend in their store, which was a lovely feature.

The only downside of this hotel (and one that I consider to be minor) is the slowness of the elevators. The hotel has a lot of floors and the elevators can take a while getting from the top to bottom, especially when there is only one working, as was the case when I was there in mid-September. Beds are comfy, bathrooms are spacious enough for New York.

I really do enjoy my time at this hotel and look to stay here every time I'm in NYC!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for leaving us a review on tripadvisor.com. We are so pleased to hear that you really enjoy your stays with us and have become a frequent guest. Thank you for continuing to be a loyal guest and we look forward to your next arrival! Until then happy travels.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Its clean and the bed is very comfortable. Nice to have the little kitchen facility. Paid a bit more for a view and got the top floor -32nd. Beautiful view of downtown and the Empire State building just to one side. It was great to be up high for the view and also almost no street noise. Quiet and comfortable. Walking distance to Times Square, theaters, restaurants, shopping and subway. A good choice. Nothing fancy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the Big Apple! Thank you for leaving us a review on tripadvisor.com. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay are were able to experience your stay a room with a beautiful view. We hope you decide to return to our property soon.
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Candlewood Suites are a perfect place from which to see NYC. The small suites offer a queen size bed, kitchen table, stove, microwave sink and dishwasher with plates utensils and pots. There is no daily maid service, but you can get fresh towels sent up. We usually like it that way even when staying in posh hotels. This is not a fancy hotel, but clean and functional.. They have a very nice free laundry room with modern front loaders in the basement, along with a small workout room. Very close to Times Square at 9th and 39th, there is a subway station on 42nd. The neighbor hood is safe.We walked a lot and it was fine. There is a bulletin board in the lobby with show and taping (like Letterman), restaurant recommendations etc. Free wifi, although our iPhones had trouble syching up. (not unusual at some hotels)
We prepaid on line for a better rate and that worked out well. Holiday Inn Priority Club points are awarded. Free coffee and tea 24/7 in the lobby and a small coffee pot in the room.
Perfect headquarters for eating breakfast in the room and heading out

Room Tip: The hotel is 32 stories high with only six rooms per floor, our room faced South, You could not see...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MonicaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Greetings from NYC,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, I am glad all of the comfortable amenities we offer were to your liking. Our "Out and About Board" is great and located by the front desk. Many of our guests benefit from our personal recommendations for great restaurants nearby, activities you can do and places to visit. Our location is central and great to visit many local attractions. I do apologize you had some troubles logging in to our WiFi connection. I wished you would've addressed the issue with us sooner to have it taken care of. I do hope to see you soon and don't forget to contact us on your next visit! Thank you for picking our property amongst many to choose from in the NYC area. Have a great day!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've stayed at this location twice now, solely because I was able to book a room at a very good rate (approx $200 both times).

The location is very good. If you're not familiar with NYC, I'd say this hotel is kind of on the southwest fringe of times square. To be clear, you're not going to walk out the front door and into your performance of Wicked in 1 minute, but you're maybe 2 blocks from hitting times sqr. I saw a couple other reviewers suggest this hotel is on a sketchy block -- I'd disagree. There are 2 or 3 other chain hotels right there, and great hotels & bars just over on 9th & 10th. The block isn't loaded with restaurants & bars so it does feel a little desolate, but I don't think this area is any worse than other block in the neighborhood, which is to say -- it's fine.

The hotel itself was probably built within the last 5 years (I'm guessing). It's a no frills spot. No fancy lobby, no hotel bar. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Rooms have a little kitchen which would make this really appealing if you're in town for multiple nights.

My only gripe is that the AC unit in my room was pretty loud.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Good day and thank you for your honest review on TripAdvisor. I have to agree we are not in the middle of Times Square where the New Years eve ball is dropped every year, but we are certainly within walkable distance to this central location. We are on a quieter side which can be a plus at times. I am very glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and sincerely apologize our AC unit was a bit too noisy during your stay with us. If you would like to contact us directly to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate in doing so. Again thank you for your review and we do appreciate all of your feedback. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've never stayed in a Candlewood Suites before, and based on my stay here the past three days, I wouldn't hesitate to book with this hotel chain again. We arrived at 11:30 on Monday and were allowed to check in early, which was great. My boyfriend is a priority member, so we got to spin the freebie wheel and won $5 to spend in the little tuck shop. The front desk staff were very friendly. We went up to the room, everything was clean and tidy. There was a problem with the toilet handle in our bathroom, and it was addressed quickly by the staff. No problems with the elevators, and we have felt safe on this street unlike some other reviewers. The street was very quiet at night from a higher floor, which is a plus for sleeping. The WiFi was a bit dodgey at times, but there's a Starbucks just on the east side of 8th to login and check online maps of the city, restaurant reviews, etc. It's a very close walk to Times Square and subway stops. I look forward to returning and checking out Candlewood Suites in other cities!

• Stayed September 2012
MonicaNarvaez, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Greetings from the Candlewood Suites family,

We greatly appreciate you leaving us such great review on your most recent stay in our property. I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and all of the accommodations we offer. The Priority Club Prize wheel is great and no matter how many times you spin you are always a winner!!! I do apologize you had some troubles with our wifi connection. I hope you would’ve contacted the front desk while you were experiencing the problem. I am glad that this small “bump” did not deteriorate your experience with us and we hope to see you soon in the city that never sleeps NY!

Been to Candlewood Suites New York City Times Square? Share your experiences!