“But for the wine, everything was terrific” 4 of 5 stars
Review of I Sodi

I Sodi
105 Christopher Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)
212-414-5774
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
I Sodi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #195 of 11,771 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Bleecker & Hudson Streets
Transit: 1 train to Christopher Street/Sheridan Square.
Schenectady, New York
“But for the wine, everything was terrific”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Visited this fine West Village restaurant which has a great Vibe, real good service, a great bar and the best food. Split the small size black pepper pasta as an appetizer which was rich and delicious with a back of the mouth kick. I then had the braised beef, which is slow cooked in chianti wine and it was as soft as short ribs but without all the fat. The flavor was mellow, almost sweet and delicious. The martinis my group had were all well made, which brings me to the wine issue. They have great wines but the pricing was 100% more than you would expect to pay in a restaurant. A Corvo normally an inexpensive wine from Sicily, was over $70 a bottle. Wines by the glass started at $18 and went up to twice that for a 5 ounce pour. Italian food this good needs a good red wine. I would go there again in a minute because the food is worth it, but be prepared for the wine prices.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Virginia
“If you can't get to Tuscany...............”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Just go here, it is the same. Eat anything, makes no difference.

it's all Perfect!

We were sent by a friend from Florence who now lives in the US. He had been the last time he was in NY.

There were only 2 of us, but we bought one of just about everything once we tasted the first bite of bread, olives and olive oil. Each dish was perfect. The wines were perfect and the pours generous.

We bumped into three people (one from Italy) in the next 2 days who, when we mentioned we had been, went off on streams of thought about how good the place is.

It is understated and refined. It's all about the food. The staff could not have been nicer.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Amazing pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

You may need to sit at the bar on a busy night, but it's worth it for the amazing fresh pasta! The small-portion option was enough pasta for me and left room for sharing an appetizer with a friend. I also saw a few people trying various pastas together....smart choice since I had some food envy of others at the bar. The wine recommendation was also perfect. On my short list of great Italian restaurants in the city.

Visited September 2013
Lynbrook, NY
“Very small, indifferent service, no host, be prepared to wait. Food was good, portions average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

A nice but unspectacular Tuscan Italian cafe. Only about 8 tables, and no host, so be prepared to wait, even if you have a rez. Best bet - 5:45 dinner before a show.
Food was good, portions average. Slightly pricey, limited menu, decent wine list.
Waitress did not accommodate our need to finish coffee and pay tab, in order to make a theater curtain (which we told her).
Be sure to visit McNulty's Coffee and Tea next door. Expensive, but really high quality java beans and tea.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Fantastic rustic authentic italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Very small restaurant (reservations a must). Went in October and had to wait a bit for our table but the staff was very friendly and even brought us a glass of champagne as a thank you. Love the homemade pasta, (the black pepper pasta is amazing), the fresh fish, and the extensive wine list. Desserts are all homemade and delicious as well. Only thing that is tough is how hard it is to get a reservation at this very small restaurant.

Visited October 2013