“Excellent Breakfast food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Angelique

Cafe Angelique
68 Bleecker St, New York City, NY 10012-2410 (Manhattan)
212-475-3500
Neighborhood: Manhattan
New Haven, Connecticut
“Excellent Breakfast food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

The belgium waffles were amazing. It was totally like eating dessert for breakfast. It seemed to be a place where a lot of the locals go for gourmet coffee and a quick on-the-go high quality pastry breakfast. I am not a coffee drinker so I cannot comment personally. Super cute cafe charm where we sat. They have these beautiful rod iron heart shaped chairs that are romantic european chic. Service was excellent, inviting, and very helpful with recommendations of menu favorites. I also believe that they have a food cart somewhere near NYU business campus. I think on Broadway near Mercer. We saw it walking around :)

Visited May 2012

83% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“If you are a tourist or have an accent - don't go there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Those guys really made me furious when it came to the bill. The waiter added a generous 18% "gratuity" to the invoice for the three of us - without asking.
When I asked if this is a sort of special treatment for tourists, he seemed really uncomfortable and claimed this is "way of helping people out" - because this way they would not have to calculate the tip. He said that they did that with every customer - not only tourists.
When we left the restaurant I checked one bill on another table - guess what - it did not have the gratuity on it.
While I do understand that some tourists might not understand how tipping works in the US (because in many other countries tipping waiters is voluntary - because waiters get paid a decent wage and do not depend on tips) - I do not accept to be treated in any other way than locals. There are many restaurants who find better ways to deal with this, i.e. by adding a little description on the bill or menu.
Btw the food was okay but overpriced - comparing to other places we have been to in that area.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toms River, New Jersey
“Delicious sandwiches, $9”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

After walking the High Line Park and strolling some more, we stopped for lunch at Cafe Angelique.
Our sandwiches were delicious, with many bread choices, and a variety of meats, vegetables, and spreads to awaken the taste buds.

Generous sandwiches and only $9.

Free Wi-Fi

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mexico City, Mexico
“Best breakfast I had in New York!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My family and I were walking through the West Village looking for a place some friends recommended us to have breakfast in which tourned out to be clossed! So we kept on walking trying to find another restaurant... and we found Cafe Angelique, on the corner of Bleecker Street and Grove Street.

Its a small french cafe, with great relaxed atmosphere, great friendly service and trust me... the BEST breakfast we had in New York... Even if you are staying far from the West Village, its worth to make the trip just to have breakfast there.

I ordered the french toast, my brother had the belgian waffle (both in the picture), my mother had a quiche and my father had an omelette... we were all very happy with our dishes.

Don't miss it!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect break during Village shopping and/or sightseeing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Pleasant, intimate Village cafe with nice atmosphere. If you like whipped cream go for it because they make it themselves and it is very fresh and tasty, possibly the best I had in the United States. The menu sports all sorts of dishes but I would not eat a proper meal. This place is perfect for snacks, we had the mini pancakes and they were delicious.

Visited December 2011