“Good little spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel East Houston

Save Saved
You added Hotel East Houston to your Saves list
Hotel East Houston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Ranked #263 of 451 hotels in New York City
NT Australia
“Good little spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I am not sure what others expect but as old backpackers and plush hotel users - people have to make up their own minds for us this hotel was the perfect way to end our journey in NY and our third and final hotel for the trip. We had just come from the Novotel Times Square and at half the price 151 offered a great final stop we wish we had arrived a few days earlier and saved our pockets! Our room looked over the side street so at night there was some noise from the bar but close the window and...no noise. The room was spacious and the bathroom clean and adequate, especially compared with some of the more pricey hotels in Central NY. Staff were friendly and really helpful. Subway to Brooklyn, Central NY (10 mins and you are there),close little spots to eat or stroll (20 mins to Little Italy, Chinatown,Mott St, Broadway) for other great spots and
wonderful shopping. Katz deli ( where Harry met Sally) is to the right and do go for wander that way for little galleries and some suburban life in the Big Apple. Free wifi and wonderful roof top deck - not offered in much more expensive hotels. We went to the Whole food mart next door OMG cheeses and beers! On the roof top what a treat! One thing- the coffee and the room it is served in - get some plants, nice smelling candles or something to make it a little more homely - easy to do cheaply in NY and we would have been there each morning just to say hi and start the day. Full on breakfast not required as there is too much outside but a nice space to start the day is always going to do wonders. Overall hotel is great.

Room Tip: Stop whinging - really if you can find a better hotel for the price I'd like to see it. NY is ex...

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Do not trust the photos, my standard room and the corridors were full of dirty spots and black marks, damaged old burst furniture. Cheap and fine dirty carpet, noisy elevator that rings at every use and next to 4 rooms, nothing is sound proof. One TV channel had no sound. No breakfast served. There was a Gedeon Bible in the tiny wardrobe. I was charged $250 per night what a misery. Heavy and super noisy street work that makes the East side of Houston Street very noisy and unwelcoming. This hotel would not have 2 stars in Europe. It is what we call in France a seller of sleep and not a Hotel welcoming its guests. See added photos….

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
timgmt, General Manager at Hotel East Houston, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear European T,

Thank you for your honest comments. I’m sorry to hear your stay with us was less than enjoyable. We are in our seventh year in operation and some things are beginning to show their age. We are in the process of retouching and repainting our walls, furniture, fixtures and are also in the process of finding a solution for removing the stubborn stains that remained in this room even after shampoo cleaning in the Fall.

However, we do not have any upholstered furniture in the room you stayed in, never mind any such furniture with burst seams in this room. Our elevator does ring when it reaches the called floor, but I don’t believe that this is unique to our hotel. We have even gone as far as muffling the bell to reduce the noise level of the rings so I can’t imagine it being that much of a nuisance especially considering the location of your room away from the elevator. We haven’t advertised continental breakfast since early 2012 when we canceled the service and extended our coffee & tea hours. During Christmas Week, however, we did bring back pastries and danishes for our guests, but I’m sorry you weren’t with us during this period. As for the construction on Houston St., we have no control over as it is an ongoing City project. Actually we get remarks from guests that our double paned windows do a good job at keeping a lot of the noise out.

Thanks again for commenting on your stay with us. If there’s any chance you’ll return to us, I’d be happy to show you the progress we’re making in maintaining our rooms and help arrange a more pleasant experience for you.

Tim Cho
Hotel East Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We just returned from three days in NYC to attend my nephews wedding and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It certainly wasn't highly rated (either 21/2 or 3 stars) but the location was most important to us. It was about 20 minutes from LaGuardia and it is close to both Little Italy and Chinatown (two areas we wanted to explore by just walking over from the hotel). We were greeted at the front desk by Alan who was extremely helpful in every way (restaurant recommendations and calling for cars). One night we wanted to celebrate on the roof terrace and Alan sent up the wine glasses. We also met the general manager who was also quite gracious. We discovered Katz Deli was only two blocks from the hotel and we tried it more than once! The room is small but well done. The bathroom was clean with a very nice shower. Overall, good place for the price!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear funat65,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I agree, Allen is very helpful indeed. I’m glad to hear you found our location and walking proximity to Little Italy and Chinatown convenient. Situated at the edge of Lower East Side and East Village, we are also within walking distance to SOHO, Nolita and Greenwich Village. So choosing us for your home base in NYC was a very savvy choice in terms of location. Thank you for mentioning our Terrace and wine glass service as well as our small but well-kept rooms.

I hope you had a lovely time celebrating your nephew’s wedding and I thank you for letting us be your home base during the festivities.

Tim Cho
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

One gets accustomed to spending more than $200 per night in New York, but in Midtown that will buy you twice as much space as this small hotel offers in its minuscule rooms. When I checked in to my Queen room I thought there had been a mistake - the 8x12 foot sleeping area (less than two feet on either side of the bed) was much smaller than the norm, but the front desk (extremely polite and helpful staff, by the way) assured me I in fact had a mid-sized room. I can't imagine an adult managing a room any smaller but the option exists.

Room size aside, the East Houston is small and clean though it is a stretch to call it a "Boutique Hotel." The location is perhaps more properly Bowery than SoHo, but it is very convenient: adjacent to a subway line, a block from an enormous Whole Foods and easy walking distance to both SoHo and NoLita. (The Whole Foods has a world class, and separately housed, beer department, by the way). There are a couple of good restaurants nearby and many good dining options within a longer walk or short cab ride. The staff is very helpful but it's not a spot I would go back to - it's too much like a Japanese-style pod hotel, and there are better options nearby that offer more space for about the same price.

Room Tip: See if there is a special - ask for a King room and don't go for anything less than a Queen room
bawlmer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff was fantastic, and very kind. Very clean hotel. Not a Five Star, but great for the price. The location is really good too, with access to the F subway line a block away.Close to bars, places to eat,and many attractions. The rooms are small, that was the only down side, just a bed and a bathroom.There is a glass wall that seperates the too, but it was ok for the wife and I. Great view from the rooftop deck also.This was a great place to spend a weekend, or a overnight stay.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

First of all, for pretty much $200 night, I'd expect a mini coffee machine in my room. No coffee, no ice (!) - have to go to the basement for coffee, and only the hours they provide it (if you're up before 7:30 or want it after 5, forget it) and every time you want ice, have to call and have it delivered (and tip). Internet service in the room was sketchy, at best, and in the basement (euphemistically called the "common area" (dank, dark, depressing, unlike their lovely lobby) the internet is nonexistent. Ordinarily I wouldn't care about no internet in the basement, but since my (nearly $200/night) room was so small it didn't even have a side table to slide a chair under (no chair, obviously, no side table, no closet), all of my work with my computer needed to be one on the (full sized,not queen) bed. I needed a desk! So the basement it was, but no internet service about 75% of the time. Staff was super nice and compassionate, but unable to do anything about it. Also, REALLY thin walls. Street noises are expected and normal in NYC. Not an issue. But every time a guest used the elevator or closed their room door, it was a not-so-nice alarm clock in my closet-sized room (that didn't have a closet). What a rip off. Also, my room (don't know about the whole hotel) needed serious updating. Walls were filthy with scuff marks, chips in paint, and an entire piece of floor molding was just missing. As log as it's clean, which it was, I don't really care all that much about that, but again, for the price...I know NYC is expensive and you don't get what you do elsewhere for the same money - I used to live there and travel there often so I get it. But this place was ridiculous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at Hotel East Houston but was disappointed. The location is great and the roof top fantastic (when it is not closed for private functions). The room did not live up to the photos on the website. Yes it is all you need and it is NYC but I was still disappointed. One good thing I will say is when the window was closed it did a great job at blocking out the street noise. The staff were ok but not very friendly. I can't say I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel East Houston? Share your experiences!