“Cozy, but Nice.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel East Houston

Save Saved
You added Hotel East Houston to your Saves list
Hotel East Houston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   151 East Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002 (East Village)   |
Ranked #286 of 454 Hotels in New York City
“Cozy, but Nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We just returned from three days in NYC to attend my nephews wedding and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It certainly wasn't highly rated (either 21/2 or 3 stars) but the location was most important to us. It was about 20 minutes from LaGuardia and it is close to both Little Italy and Chinatown (two areas we wanted to explore by just walking over from the hotel). We were greeted at the front desk by Alan who was extremely helpful in every way (restaurant recommendations and calling for cars). One night we wanted to celebrate on the roof terrace and Alan sent up the wine glasses. We also met the general manager who was also quite gracious. We discovered Katz Deli was only two blocks from the hotel and we tried it more than once! The room is small but well done. The bathroom was clean with a very nice shower. Overall, good place for the price!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
timgmt, General Manager at Hotel East Houston, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear funat65,

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I agree, Allen is very helpful indeed. I’m glad to hear you found our location and walking proximity to Little Italy and Chinatown convenient. Situated at the edge of Lower East Side and East Village, we are also within walking distance to SOHO, Nolita and Greenwich Village. So choosing us for your home base in NYC was a very savvy choice in terms of location. Thank you for mentioning our Terrace and wine glass service as well as our small but well-kept rooms.

I hope you had a lovely time celebrating your nephew’s wedding and I thank you for letting us be your home base during the festivities.

Tim Cho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

One gets accustomed to spending more than $200 per night in New York, but in Midtown that will buy you twice as much space as this small hotel offers in its minuscule rooms. When I checked in to my Queen room I thought there had been a mistake - the 8x12 foot sleeping area (less than two feet on either side of the bed) was much smaller than the norm, but the front desk (extremely polite and helpful staff, by the way) assured me I in fact had a mid-sized room. I can't imagine an adult managing a room any smaller but the option exists.

Room size aside, the East Houston is small and clean though it is a stretch to call it a "Boutique Hotel." The location is perhaps more properly Bowery than SoHo, but it is very convenient: adjacent to a subway line, a block from an enormous Whole Foods and easy walking distance to both SoHo and NoLita. (The Whole Foods has a world class, and separately housed, beer department, by the way). There are a couple of good restaurants nearby and many good dining options within a longer walk or short cab ride. The staff is very helpful but it's not a spot I would go back to - it's too much like a Japanese-style pod hotel, and there are better options nearby that offer more space for about the same price.

Room Tip: See if there is a special - ask for a King room and don't go for anything less than a Queen room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
bawlmer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The staff was fantastic, and very kind. Very clean hotel. Not a Five Star, but great for the price. The location is really good too, with access to the F subway line a block away.Close to bars, places to eat,and many attractions. The rooms are small, that was the only down side, just a bed and a bathroom.There is a glass wall that seperates the too, but it was ok for the wife and I. Great view from the rooftop deck also.This was a great place to spend a weekend, or a overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

First of all, for pretty much $200 night, I'd expect a mini coffee machine in my room. No coffee, no ice (!) - have to go to the basement for coffee, and only the hours they provide it (if you're up before 7:30 or want it after 5, forget it) and every time you want ice, have to call and have it delivered (and tip). Internet service in the room was sketchy, at best, and in the basement (euphemistically called the "common area" (dank, dark, depressing, unlike their lovely lobby) the internet is nonexistent. Ordinarily I wouldn't care about no internet in the basement, but since my (nearly $200/night) room was so small it didn't even have a side table to slide a chair under (no chair, obviously, no side table, no closet), all of my work with my computer needed to be one on the (full sized,not queen) bed. I needed a desk! So the basement it was, but no internet service about 75% of the time. Staff was super nice and compassionate, but unable to do anything about it. Also, REALLY thin walls. Street noises are expected and normal in NYC. Not an issue. But every time a guest used the elevator or closed their room door, it was a not-so-nice alarm clock in my closet-sized room (that didn't have a closet). What a rip off. Also, my room (don't know about the whole hotel) needed serious updating. Walls were filthy with scuff marks, chips in paint, and an entire piece of floor molding was just missing. As log as it's clean, which it was, I don't really care all that much about that, but again, for the price...I know NYC is expensive and you don't get what you do elsewhere for the same money - I used to live there and travel there often so I get it. But this place was ridiculous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was really looking forward to my stay at Hotel East Houston but was disappointed. The location is great and the roof top fantastic (when it is not closed for private functions). The room did not live up to the photos on the website. Yes it is all you need and it is NYC but I was still disappointed. One good thing I will say is when the window was closed it did a great job at blocking out the street noise. The staff were ok but not very friendly. I can't say I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My colleague and I had a big presentation in the city and needed a nice affordable spot to stay overnight. Recommended by Swedish friends, the rooms are small but very clean, the bathroom is a great colorful contrast and the terrace is fantastic. Great location near Whole Foods, with great walking all around. Will stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The rooms (standard queen in our case) are pleasant and all you need (except little room to hang clothes perhaps). The design is unobtrusive, modern, dark wood and cream. Liked the Italian designer lamps in the room! The bathroom was fine, great shower and reliable hot water with good pressure. Not always to be had in NYC. All furnishings were in great shape and nothing seemed worn or faded. The coffee/tea bar (and public fridge and microwave) in the basement are maybe nice for some people, I found it a bit spooky and there's such great coffee to be had everywhere these days in New York...
Although East Houston St. is a major road (with roadworks exactly in front of the hotel at the moment), the windows keep out the noise quite well and the aircon is modern and quiet.
Highlight: The roof terrace! Beautifully furnished, wooden deck and furniture, several seating areas, glass panes to minimize wind and maximise safety and view. You can (must) bring your own food and drink, and there's no wifi connection up there but that's okay.
Location: Just before Chinatown, so fun and short distances to many quirky neighbourhoods. Within two blocks, you have a huge variety of cafes, bars, restaurants. Breakfast can be at the amazing Wholefoods supermarket and cafe or at a mediocre diner a block down the other direction, or at the weekends in a number of sweet little cafes. Subway: There is a station just outside the hotel, but it is "only" the F-line. More lines (4 and 6) are about 4 blocks down, so a ten minute walk.
Information for international visitors: great place to be, good value for money, relatively big rooms for NY, reliable water supply, lots of quirky shops and cafes nearby. And the roof terrace which our local friends were very envious of :-)

Room Tip: Higher up for a nicer view? The side street rooms might be quieter but the windows insulate well. We...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel East Houston? Share your experiences!