“You get what you pay for?” 2 of 5 stars

Great Western Inn & Suites
3804 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad, NM 88220   |
Ranked #13 of 15 hotels in Carlsbad
Albany, New York
“You get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Somebody wrote that "you do get what you pay for", and this could be true if you'd pay 40-50$. Like all places near National Parks, this one overcharges too.

1)First of all, it was not clean and it smelled not great. We found ants and mold in the bathroom, and cotton swabs placed (by the previous guest?) IN the wall, where holes were. I should have taken pictures..but it was disgusting. No hair dryer. Old but working microwave. The refrigerator came handy.
2)Pool is big, but it is open only in the afternoon. We went once, and it needs some maintenance in my opinion. There is some rusty stuff indeed.
3)They tried to charge us $10 more than the reservation for no reason. My husband got mad and in the end they did not.

Overall, we slept. It was not noisy.

Next time we would pay a little more, though, and go somewhere else. Especially for the cleanliness, since we have a little one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

About 1 am the parking lot filled up with people and they got noisy lots of drug activity obvious. So i decide to go to the office and rang bell for about 10 minutes,finally the guy came to the window. This is when i told him i paid 90 dollars to sleep but cant sleep then proceeded to my room where the last time i remember looking at the clock it was 345am. my son also got sick after swimming in pool it had iron beams dripping rust into the water that we didn't notice till later. AS A RESULT MY SON BROKE OUT WITH A NASTY RASH. I also tried to talk with mngmt. upon returning the key but the lady became bias and started talking in a different language i couldn't understand very unreasonable that i eventually i just left.she refused to let me speak to owner.absolutly No customer service skills. I rate this being the worst hotel I ever experienced . I. The tv was prehistoric and could not get a clear picture. the bathroom was filled with brown mold all over the ceiling and toilet. the matresses had no fitted sheet therefore every time you would roll over the flat sheet would bunch up and expose matress. I could go on and on but this should give you an idea and a heads up in making a choice. P.S. THE OFFICE, ROOMS AND POOL AREA HAD A VERY BAD SMELL.

i plan on taking them to small claims court due to the injury my son recieved while swimming in their contanimated pool i feel cheated and ripped off. $90 WORTH IS NOT WHAT I GOT. THEY COULDNT PAY ME TO STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family and I were unsure of this place when booking. From the outside it looks like it's going to be not great, but we were out of options as all other hotels were booked solid. Upon room inspection we saw that although the rooms were in dire need of an upgrade, they were still clean, which is for me the most important.

Nothing special or fancy. A place to lay your head. Rates were good, which is always a plus. You do get what you pay for, but if I was in a jam, I wouldn't be opposed to staying here again.

Room Tip: Tip of the day: Inspect your room before staying; I can imagine that not all rooms could be as clean...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights. The rooms were very clean and the furniture was nice - Southwestern wooden furniture. I especially liked the custom refrigerater and microwave stand that mached all of the other trim. The cleaning and towel exchange was fast and very good. There is laundry facilities and the indoor heated pool and jacuzzi was a plus. The continental breakfast was adequate - remember it is a "continental breakfast", not Ihop. The staff was friendly. The owners are informative, but I recommend talking to the Mrs. she is very informative. Mr. is a man of few words.

Give them a try... it's great for the price.

Room Tip: I recommend #227 that is upstairs and a smoking king.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

1. Rude, sarcastic staff when I asked for directions to the hotel.
2. Staff lied about having extra pillows. I saw the extras through their window as I was walking out.
3. I had trouble getting them to give me the manager's ph#.
4. Their hair dryer broke down on me.
5. The furniture is really old and worn out.
6. When I finally got a hold of the manager, he did nothing to compensate me for all the trouble I'd gone through.
7. I will give them this much credit though: Their facility and rooms are clean.
In conclusion however, STAY AWAY!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

We decided to find another hotel after seeing room. The floor was dusty and dirty. It was a non-smoking room, but there were large burn holes in the bedding. Also there were hairs of previous guests on the sheets. The microwave was an interesting archeological find, must be one of the first ever made. The manager (owner) was cooperative when I told him I wouldn't be staying

• Stayed December 2011
Bologna
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The hotel is enough clean, but "cheap". The breakfast is included, but it's really poor. I dind't try the Pool. The Air conditiong it's awful:noisy all the night. The value for money is avarage, but probably it's the cheapest choice at Carlsbad. Good for budget-saving people

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Great Western Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!