“Needs Updating” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Carlsbad
texas hillcountry
“Needs Updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We have rather mixed feelings about this hotel. It has it's plusses and minuses. The pluses are the restaurant, size of rooms and location. The restaurant is quite good food, which is where we ate for dinner. It actually is in direct conflict with the rest of the hotel because the restaurant is really nice, but the hotel really isn't all that nice, so it's kinda weird. The breakfast was just okay and is held in another dining room. The rooms are huge but I felt like I stepped into the Brady Bunch set. They were so outdated and shabby. There was even a back door which was weird and, quite frankly, creeped me out. We were given a room right by the pool which we thought was cool...until we heard the enormous roucuss coming from it. And it lasted until late into the evening. Very loud teenagers crammed into the pool and never seemed to leave. We soon regretted getting so close. There was also a really nice laundry facility on the property right by the pool as well. We found it to be close enough to Carlsbad which is why we stayed here. The town this hotel is in is rather shabby as well...very industrial feeling and quite depressing actually. The other plus is that they have a computer in the lobby with a printer attached for guests to use. This was quite helpful to us and there was no charge to print which was a bonus. If you're looking for a hotel whose rooms are very spacious but don't mind outdated and run-down, then you'll like this hotel.

• Liked — Restaurant, business services
  • Disliked — Old and dingy feeling room, noisy
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2007

Hotel staff was very nice. We got into town earlier than check-in time and they were really nice about holding on to our laptops and other electronics while we headed on over to Carlsbad for the late afternoon and evening. We requested a room in the new section. Room was fine and it was clean. The two double beds each had 2 very lumpy pillows (stuffed with old pantyhose?). We requested 2 more pillow but they didn't have any extras available. The breakfast buffet was the most elaborate free breakfast we have found anywhere else on our road trip which at this point has included about 8 other hotels. Big bargain at about $75 for the night.

• Liked — kids liked the pool
  • Disliked — lumpy pillows and not enough of them!
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed at the Stevens Inn three nights in August 2007. This motel is built around a big parking lot and the exteriors are ugly and grimy looking on the outside. The interiors are more attractive, typical Bestwestern with a coffeemaker and recently redecorated. There was a spacious double sink dressing area witha tile floor The towels and toilet paper were rough and more like Motel 6 quality than Bestwestern. The lobby is large and capacious and decorated attractively in a Southwestern style. The free hot cooked buffet breakfast is good and available until 9 a.m. The dining room is decorated out of the 70s but the food is not bad for Carlsbad. My dinner was good though my vegetarian brother was annoyed he got bacon in his soup after he was promised no meat. The service was what bothered us.
We had three rooms for our family visiting Carlsbad Caverns. I called in advance a week before our arrival, after I made our reservation months ago, to make sure we had three rooms together on the ground floor, as some of our group had mobility problems and we had small children. The woman on the phone was very nice and helpful and I was encouraged. Then we arrived to discover we had three rooms together but on the SECOND floor, up a flight of stairs! And the desk clerk did not seem in the least concerned that this was a problem for us. His attitude basically was, sorry, too bad. This is not the type of attitude you generally find among people in this region, usually they are very nice and friendly. I got annoyed because this is a huge sprawling motel of like 90 rooms and I knew they had rooms on teh ground floor. Finally after I had a snit, he managed to find us three rooms together on the first floor. Though my brother didn't want his as it stank of smoke, so he ended up staying on the second floor in another wing, which was sad because we really wanted to be together. The next day, we came back from hiking at 3:30 p.m., tired, to find our rooms had not yet been cleaned. I spoke to the maid and just took clean towels because I was too tired to wait and I wanted to nap. She told me to ask the front desk for an early cleaning the following days. The next day, I stopped at the desk and asked very politely that our rooms be cleaned earlly. The woman started giving me a hassle about it! And told me "they had until 4 p.m. to clean our rooms." Really I was aghast she was so curt, for no apparent reason.I finally snapped, "Well, we just need them cleaned earlly anyway." And they were. Our kids liked the smallish pool which was always jammed with children. I wished there was some shade there, not even a patio umbrella by the pool. Also, no spa. Every day, the ice machines were totally empty by 9:30 a.m. so if you stay here and need ice, get it early! In retrospect, I probably would have stayed at the Motel 6, it would have been half the cost and the service would probably have been as good. Down the street, btw, is the Bamboo Garden Chinese buffet, it was very good and inexpensive. Don't mistake it for the other Chinese buffet. We also liked Rojas Mexican restaurant which was recommended by the front desk clerk, the one who was NICE. The caverns were awesome we loved our visit! Go visit! Next time though I might try the Ocotillo Inn down the street.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This place was awful! Not very clean room reeking of cigarette smoke. Staff didn't know what they were doing. Room keys didn't work, towels in the condition of dish rags. And to top it all off: a big green fly in the salad dressing at the hotel's restaurant salad bar. Never again we will stay at the Best Western anywhere!.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room reeked of cigarette smoke, unclean; remote control, room keys didn't work
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

On our first 'boys roadtrip' with my 10 & 7 year old, after a 9 hour drive we picked up our room key .

When we opened the door to the room the stench was overwhelming ... we were afraid to venture further into the room. Checking the front of the door, I found we were in a smoking room. I called the front desk to change to non-smoking but this was the last room and we were stuck.

In all fairness, I don't think I specified a 'non-smoking' room when I made reservations .....but how can anybody enjoy staying in that stink !

The room was ok but the bathroom and fixtures were nasty. When I picked up the coffee maker it oozed black goo from it's insides .... no doubt years of old coffee leaking inside. The light switch cover in the bathroom was broken and the shower sprayed water over the curtain and flooded the bathroom when we used it.

The 'non-smoking' room I'll take the blame for ....but the poor state of repairs and lack of cleanliness are not something I expect from Best Western.

We booked the room for two days but checked out after one.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Albuquerque, NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I expect better from a "Name Brand" hotel. Our room had not been cleaned, as there were innumerable cobwebs, in fact, two of them almost captured my wife and myself when we tried to turn on the bedside lamps, and there was a dead fly stuck to the wall. The lighting was poor and dim, the bath fixtures came from a motorhome manufacturer's liquidation sale, the outlet by the vanity(which was the only outlet accessible in the entire room) was so loose, it almost came out of the wall, and wasn't even up to code (non-GFI). Now what was the deal with that shower stall? I could barely stand up in it, and I'm only 5'7", plus, it felt like it was going to cave in under me. This dump didn't even have a refrigerator. No premium channels. The telephone rang unpredictably, without indication that we either had or hadn't any message; then again, $3 doesn't go far in telecommunications these days. We asked for 3 extra pillows, so that among all of the saltine sized, inadequate pillows, we might find some comfort. They had none. We used bedsheets to cover the chairs, so as not to stick. The bed would be appropos for The Marquise de Sade. The room had to be 89 degrees upon entry, and the A/C barely had an effect. On arrival, the gal at the front desk was surly, at best, and remained so throughout our stay. The room had some water damage and peeling wallpaper, and they tried to hide it with a fleabag, dumpy couch. Once we arrived home and showered, we finally felt that we had gotten the "Best Western" off of us. If they didn't have a decent restaraunt, I'd have nothing nice to say at all. I shall dedicate my life to guiding people away from Best Western hotels.

• Liked — It is over
  • Disliked — The gall they had in charging $83.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

We just dropped into town looking for a place to stay. My husband said, "Okay, would you like to try this one?" I agreed.

I stepped into the motel lobby and was impressed with its decor. It was spacious and beautifully decorated. The check-in was pleasant, since the desk clerk was very courteous. The rate was good--$79 per night. It featured a hot breakfast with that price.

The room was delightful. We had a king-sized bed in a really huge room. Everything was neat and very clean. The decor was beautiful, in the southwestern style.

My husband told me to remember this place in case we went to Carlsbad again.

• Liked — the room size and decor
  • Disliked — did not find anything we didn't like
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Stevens Inn? Share your experiences!