“Awful, absolutely awful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caverns Motel of Carlsbad

Caverns Motel of Carlsbad
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlsbad
844 S. Canal Street, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Driftwood Motel)   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Carlsbad
New Mexico
“Awful, absolutely awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed here for three days for a softball tournament. Most of the team stayed here as well, so all in all, we had about ten rooms. As you drive up and go check in, the front desk area is not very nice and the people working there are kind of rude. For our room we asked for a non-smoking room and I really think they just stuck a sign on the door and sprayed some cleaning supplies around to make us think it was a non-smoking. The instant you walk in the door you are hit with an awful “orange-glow” smell that gives you an instant headache. From there it only gets worse. There were stains all over the walls and strange things stuck to the walls. The toilet in our room did not work. The shower floor was so black I had to wear flip-flops to even get in. The “closet” had a rack that kept falling off the wall. As for the other rooms, some smelt just as bad as mine, but a couple did not. Many had holes in the walls and bathroom doors that did not work. All the rooms do have a microwave and mini-fridge though.

If you do stay here, I recommend buying Febreeze and Clorox wipes beforehand. Also bring your own chairs to sit on. Also, spend as much time as possible AWAY from the hotel, the less you are there, the better.

• Stayed June 2009

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

The room was OK on first glance.. its a bit old and could do with some TLC.. there was a bunch of toilet paper hanging down from the ceiling hatch - looks like they were trying to fix the gaps but then didnt bother? Bed was comfy enough.. but would suggest to bring ear plugs.. (we were staying at the first room near the road) as there are lots of big trucks going by which were very noisy and sometimes it was so noisy the room actually shook a little! Not sure if I would choose to come here again but it wasnt bad.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

844 South Canal Street
Carlsbad, NM
505-887-6522

$45.00/night + $5.00/night pet fee; cats accepted.

No coffee maker, on-site laundry or ice machine. Cable TV. Room contained a refrigerator and microwave. Free wi-fi available.

Mr. and Mrs. Patel who own and run the motel were friendly and helpful. The hotel is an older hotel and consequently the rooms are small. The carpeting was shag from the 1970s, and while there were permanent stains, the carpet and the rest of the room was clean. The fixtures in the bathroom proper were fairly new and the bathroom was very clean. The hotel is a 15-20 minute drive from the caverns, and a few minutes from most amenities. The local Wal-Mart opens at 7:30 am, and is open to about 9 pm. There are two very good restaurants next to the hotel, but keep in mind both restaurants close by 9 pm. In fact, if you want to get a meal later than 9 pm, your options in town are fast food or Pizza Hut. We were happy with the room and would stay there again.

• Liked — Pleasant and accommodating staff/owners
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Carlsbad has many motels and hotels, but no really good options (we have tried several). However, I would caution people to avoid this noisy, dirty, run-down hotel at all cost unless everything else in town is full! The managment must have changed since some of the earlier reviews were written!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Olga, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I selected this hotel based on an earlier review on tripadvisor ( summertrip07's July 31 2007 review) where the friendly owner, Charles, was mentioned. Apparently the motel has been sold since then and is now owned by an East Indian family.

I called for reservations, got an answering machine which promised to call me back, mentioned I'd seen their website and waited for them to call me back. Didn't happen so I called them back and got lucky. During the conversation they asked me if I was the one who had left a message but did not offer the internet discount. I made the reservation anyway since I did not want to pay twice as much to stay at the Holiday Inn Express which is the only other hotel in Carlsbad with decent ratings.

We checked in 4/9/08 for one night. Room was OK. Bed was nice and firm. Pillows were flat tho which seems the norm for this part of the world. Sheets clean. Microwave and refridgerator were present, clean and functional. Carpet was thicker than I've seen in most motels but ours was stained in front of the sink with what looked like blood. I quickly wiped a dried booger off the wall near the sink before my wife could see it but otherwise room seemed clean.

Motel is right on the main drag so don't expect to sleep with the windows open. AC worked and its noise drowned out the traffic so that we slept OK.

When I went to the office the next morning to check out they weren't particularly friendly and didn't ask how the room was or if it needed any work. Just told me to leave the key on the desk.

They need to work on their cleaning and on their manners and start returning phone calls or this place will go downhill fast. Updating the web page to remove the American Owned and Internet discount would also be a good idea but I suppose it's possible they don't have the password to do it.

• Liked — Price and bed
  • Disliked — Surly front desk and stain on carpet. Booger on wall.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

Luckily, I found summertime07 review misplaced in CA, and had it moved. I agree totally with every word, so will not add much.

This motel is an excellent bargain, and I'm really glad I chose it.

The motel folks were super-helpful. I had a smaller, single bed room, which didn't have a coffee-maker. They immediately put one in, along with whole 320z container of Folger's coffee and filters. They later loaned me a bottle opener for my stay.

One thing I especially liked about the motel is it's within walking distance of quite a few restaurants, and a big supermarket (just a five minute walk away). The beautiful park along the Pecos River is just a ten minute walk, and shouldn't be missed.

This motel is an great deal. I stayed at the El Paso Holiday Inn the night before, and didn't feel I lost anything. I was just as comfortable, and saved a lot of money.

• Liked — Great quality and good location at a very low price.
  • Disliked — nothing - I was very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

We just returned from a trip to Carslbad, NM, July 24-28 and stayed at the Driftwood Motel(844 S. Canal Street, ) and it was wonderful. The motel has about 40 rooms, is one story(so your car is right outside for hauling stuff) and Charles, the owner, runs the place. We had a room with 2 queen beds and they were comfortable, and the room was clean when we got there and housekeeping kept it that way. With a microwave, small refrigerator and plenty of electric plugs, it was easy to use our electric skillet and make pleasant meals after exploring the Caverns. It was also quiet so we had our privacy and slept well. There was cable to watch in the evenings, a grocery store, and several restaurants within walking distance so it was very convenient too.
I found the Driftwood after researching the chain motels and found differing reviews, so went to the Carlsbad Chamber website, looked under members and went thru the whole list and found several local places. The Driftwood had a link with pictures of the motel, rooms, etc and info about rates, etc. It wasn't fancy but had all the information we needed. I called and spoke to Charles, and he answered my questions with humor, and took my reservation over the phone(with a discount for looking at the web page) and he didn't need a deposit. I knew it was a risk to go to something unknown (I couldn't find any reviews) but went ahead and took a chance--and it turned into a wonderful family vacation.
Overall, I'd recommend the Driftwood for small families, or couples. The Driftwood is a very good room at a great price, but does not have a pool, jacuzzi, etc. If you're going to be hiking the Caverns or exploring Carlsbad though, this is a great place to stay.

Been to Caverns Motel of Carlsbad? Share your experiences!