“UNCLEAN ROOMS BEWARE.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caverns Motel of Carlsbad

Caverns Motel of Carlsbad
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlsbad
Caverns Motel of Carlsbad
Save Saved
You added Caverns Motel of Carlsbad to your Saves list
844 S. Canal Street, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Driftwood Motel)   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Carlsbad
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“UNCLEAN ROOMS BEWARE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The cleaning standard for the housekeeping staff at this Motel 6 is very poor. It seemed like the same family was living in the room close to the office. I tried two different rooms both of them had the same problem. Dirt on the floor and the linin was not clean. The hotel staff did not seem to care because there was a line of oil field workers waiting to rent rooms.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

1) internet did not work
2) very disagreeable front desk personnel
3) dirty

Our mistake was that we chose this motel over several other motels in the area to save $10. We're not picky when it comes to choosing a cheap motel--we would preferably like hot water, a clean bed, and, in this day and age, internet. After a long day in the car, we look forward to being able to check and send emails for work, look up things for our itinerary the following day, and relax and maybe watch something online. Our internet did not work during our entire stay (it did not work on any of our three devices--a PC, a Mac, and an Android), so we could not accomplish our more important tasks. The man at the front desk was very unhelpful and unsympathetic, saying that it was our problem, not the motel's (though our devices work everywhere else we stay). We asked for a refund and got part of our money back after threatening to write bad reviews, which I am still writing because the guy at the front desk was a rude jerk, and our money did not get us what we were promised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This motel is in the same class as Motel 6. Traveling alone, I sometimes choose this option for price. But, I always wear flip-flops, sleep only with sheets (which were clean) or in my own sleeping bag. Ask to see the room before signing up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family while our home was being finished and what a mistake that was. Not only was it dirty (carpet, walls, tub etc.), but the maid service did not come everyday or every otherday for that matter. I would have to chase her down to get towels or whatever I needed or have to goto the office everyday to get toiletpaper. This is rediculous for people who pay as much as you do for the rooms and ontime if not early, to have to chase down things. Then to top it off, I was making a sandwhich and low and behold a freakin roach crawled out! Not cool! I baught cleaning things and sprays just to feel a little more at ease...I even went and got my own sheets and covers out of the storage to use, because the ones they gave you were stained with Idont know what and just plain nasty. Workers are very rude, also!

Room Tip: ask to see the room before commiting to it!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A DIRTY MOTEL!! The bathroom was filthy! Mildew all over the bah tub. Old tub that soaked in dirt. Holes in the walls. Needed vacuuming, carpets dirty! Floors dirty, walls dirty! Some rooms don't even have dead bolts. I did not feel safe.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I booked my room with my son, age 10, to go visit the Carlsbad Caverns and to be able to swim and relax before driving back to Durango Colorado. Based on my reservation, the Motel 6 had a pool...and at 96 degrees that day, a pool was much needed, especially for a 10 year old boy. Once we checked into a smelly room that lacked working electrical outlets, ripped bedding and chair, one towel for all of us..., I noticed a sign that is only viewable from the side furthest away from the check-in area that states "Pool closed for the season." I called the front desk and they said that yes, the pool was in fact closed. I told them I made my reservations based on the fact that there was a pool there and nowhere did/does it say that the pool is closed when booking online. After dealing with some very unhelpful managers, I decided to just drive back to Colorado. I went to return my key and let the management know that I did not intend on staying there, and no attempt was made to return even part of the $60 I paid for the room. This not only puts a bad taste in my mouth for the Motel 6 I delt with, but for the motel chain as a whole, and I will go out of my way to explain my experience to would-be guests to book their accommodations elsewhere and save themselves considerable hassle and bad management. Do Not stay at Motel 6 in Carlsbad, New Mexico.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at Motel 6 in Carlsbad, NM.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed here for three days for a softball tournament. Most of the team stayed here as well, so all in all, we had about ten rooms. As you drive up and go check in, the front desk area is not very nice and the people working there are kind of rude. For our room we asked for a non-smoking room and I really think they just stuck a sign on the door and sprayed some cleaning supplies around to make us think it was a non-smoking. The instant you walk in the door you are hit with an awful “orange-glow” smell that gives you an instant headache. From there it only gets worse. There were stains all over the walls and strange things stuck to the walls. The toilet in our room did not work. The shower floor was so black I had to wear flip-flops to even get in. The “closet” had a rack that kept falling off the wall. As for the other rooms, some smelt just as bad as mine, but a couple did not. Many had holes in the walls and bathroom doors that did not work. All the rooms do have a microwave and mini-fridge though.

If you do stay here, I recommend buying Febreeze and Clorox wipes beforehand. Also bring your own chairs to sit on. Also, spend as much time as possible AWAY from the hotel, the less you are there, the better.

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Caverns Motel of Carlsbad? Share your experiences!