“Acceptable if you are prepared” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Caverns Motel of Carlsbad

Caverns Motel of Carlsbad
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlsbad
You added Caverns Motel of Carlsbad to your Saves list
844 S. Canal Street, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Driftwood Motel)   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Carlsbad
North Carolina
“Acceptable if you are prepared”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This motel is in the same class as Motel 6. Traveling alone, I sometimes choose this option for price. But, I always wear flip-flops, sleep only with sheets (which were clean) or in my own sleeping bag. Ask to see the room before signing up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family while our home was being finished and what a mistake that was. Not only was it dirty (carpet, walls, tub etc.), but the maid service did not come everyday or every otherday for that matter. I would have to chase her down to get towels or whatever I needed or have to goto the office everyday to get toiletpaper. This is rediculous for people who pay as much as you do for the rooms and ontime if not early, to have to chase down things. Then to top it off, I was making a sandwhich and low and behold a freakin roach crawled out! Not cool! I baught cleaning things and sprays just to feel a little more at ease...I even went and got my own sheets and covers out of the storage to use, because the ones they gave you were stained with Idont know what and just plain nasty. Workers are very rude, also!

Room Tip: ask to see the room before commiting to it!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

NM
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A DIRTY MOTEL!! The bathroom was filthy! Mildew all over the bah tub. Old tub that soaked in dirt. Holes in the walls. Needed vacuuming, carpets dirty! Floors dirty, walls dirty! Some rooms don't even have dead bolts. I did not feel safe.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Durango, Colorado, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I booked my room with my son, age 10, to go visit the Carlsbad Caverns and to be able to swim and relax before driving back to Durango Colorado. Based on my reservation, the Motel 6 had a pool...and at 96 degrees that day, a pool was much needed, especially for a 10 year old boy. Once we checked into a smelly room that lacked working electrical outlets, ripped bedding and chair, one towel for all of us..., I noticed a sign that is only viewable from the side furthest away from the check-in area that states "Pool closed for the season." I called the front desk and they said that yes, the pool was in fact closed. I told them I made my reservations based on the fact that there was a pool there and nowhere did/does it say that the pool is closed when booking online. After dealing with some very unhelpful managers, I decided to just drive back to Colorado. I went to return my key and let the management know that I did not intend on staying there, and no attempt was made to return even part of the $60 I paid for the room. This not only puts a bad taste in my mouth for the Motel 6 I delt with, but for the motel chain as a whole, and I will go out of my way to explain my experience to would-be guests to book their accommodations elsewhere and save themselves considerable hassle and bad management. Do Not stay at Motel 6 in Carlsbad, New Mexico.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at Motel 6 in Carlsbad, NM.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We stayed here for three days for a softball tournament. Most of the team stayed here as well, so all in all, we had about ten rooms. As you drive up and go check in, the front desk area is not very nice and the people working there are kind of rude. For our room we asked for a non-smoking room and I really think they just stuck a sign on the door and sprayed some cleaning supplies around to make us think it was a non-smoking. The instant you walk in the door you are hit with an awful “orange-glow” smell that gives you an instant headache. From there it only gets worse. There were stains all over the walls and strange things stuck to the walls. The toilet in our room did not work. The shower floor was so black I had to wear flip-flops to even get in. The “closet” had a rack that kept falling off the wall. As for the other rooms, some smelt just as bad as mine, but a couple did not. Many had holes in the walls and bathroom doors that did not work. All the rooms do have a microwave and mini-fridge though.

If you do stay here, I recommend buying Febreeze and Clorox wipes beforehand. Also bring your own chairs to sit on. Also, spend as much time as possible AWAY from the hotel, the less you are there, the better.

• Stayed June 2009
Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

The room was OK on first glance.. its a bit old and could do with some TLC.. there was a bunch of toilet paper hanging down from the ceiling hatch - looks like they were trying to fix the gaps but then didnt bother? Bed was comfy enough.. but would suggest to bring ear plugs.. (we were staying at the first room near the road) as there are lots of big trucks going by which were very noisy and sometimes it was so noisy the room actually shook a little! Not sure if I would choose to come here again but it wasnt bad.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

844 South Canal Street
Carlsbad, NM
505-887-6522

$45.00/night + $5.00/night pet fee; cats accepted.

No coffee maker, on-site laundry or ice machine. Cable TV. Room contained a refrigerator and microwave. Free wi-fi available.

Mr. and Mrs. Patel who own and run the motel were friendly and helpful. The hotel is an older hotel and consequently the rooms are small. The carpeting was shag from the 1970s, and while there were permanent stains, the carpet and the rest of the room was clean. The fixtures in the bathroom proper were fairly new and the bathroom was very clean. The hotel is a 15-20 minute drive from the caverns, and a few minutes from most amenities. The local Wal-Mart opens at 7:30 am, and is open to about 9 pm. There are two very good restaurants next to the hotel, but keep in mind both restaurants close by 9 pm. In fact, if you want to get a meal later than 9 pm, your options in town are fast food or Pizza Hut. We were happy with the room and would stay there again.

• Liked — Pleasant and accommodating staff/owners
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Caverns Motel of Carlsbad? Share your experiences!