“Not Bad” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Not Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were on vacation in Carlsbad for a few days. We always want to try local places. Carlsbad seems to shut down in a Sunday afternoon. We found Danys with a bunch of cars in the lot, so we gave it a try. I felt like having a hamburger, and I was told by the server it was great. It was a prepackaged patty which was, so so. Fries were warm, but not hot.
It was really busy, so we decided to give it another try. The next night was ok. Not as busy, hosted just pointed out a place to sit. I had the pulled pork, it was definitely better than the burger.
Service is not the fastest. They don't check on you much other. It is an average place to go

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Extremely poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The service was poor to say the least. When we walked in there were 2 other couples in front of us who had not yet been greeted and all 6 of us stood there for a good 5 minutes before anyone greeted us. At this point one of the couples ahead of us decided to walk out. The hostess pointed at a table in the dining room & told the other couple to sit there, but did not walk them to the table or interact with them in any way. We stood there for several more minutes while she continued to play with her cell phone, despite the fact that there were several tables that needed to be cleaned so that customers could be seated. We decided to leave and try another restaurant with hopefully better service.

Carlsbad, New Mexico
“Average but open on Mother's Day.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went out to dinner on Mother's Day and were disappointed to find almost everything closed. We saw a crowd of cars at Danny's so we tried that. The food was good (I have the turkey and it was yummy). Servings were large (we all took something home). Servers were polite and did a good job of juggling the full house. The potatoes were cold, and the gravy too. My son enjoyed the BBQ sandwiches. Overall it was average. Perhaps I was expecting too much since we don't go out often and it was Mother's Day. We'll probably get take out next time and only get the meat.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver CO
“Tepid mashed potatoes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Danny's appears to be hugely popular with the locals. The place was pretty busy even though it was after 1 pm on a Saturday. The service was friendly but pragmatic, the way you'd treat a friend you don't need to impress. We were reseated at another table to accommodate a larger group that arrived a few minutes after us. No big deal.

Based on Danny's high ranking here, I was expecting something special, but I didn't get it. My mashed potatoes and gravy, while otherwise decent, were lukewarm when they were served. It was as though my plate had been assembled then left to wait while a table-mate's order finished cooking. There were two BBQ sauces: one was pretty good, and the other had way too much mustard for my taste.

I've had plenty of disastrous dining experiences over the years, and this was nothing like those. But aside from the welcoming service, I can't tell you any reason to choose Danny's over some chain restaurant down the street. It's definitely local, and popular, but my experience here was ordinary at best.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Average BBQ Despite Reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went to this restaurant on the strength of the current set of reviews here on the site ( 4 stars or better). Although our server and the up front staff were nice, the food itself was fairly bland. All of our meals seemed a little cool when served and my chopped brisket seemed like it had been prepared some time before (possibly sitting in the fridge), slightly re-heated, and then served. Overall, not really an above average place, redeemed by nice wait staff.

Visited May 2013