“Excellent:salad bar;appetizer;soups;chicken-fried steak” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dane County, Wisconsin
“Excellent:salad bar;appetizer;soups;chicken-fried steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Fresh berries, fresh sweet peppers, roasted jalapenos just a few of the real standouts on salad bar. Fried green chile strips are bite-sized New Mexico treat -- their spicy nature and light-as-a-feather batter made them flavorful without the dipping sauce. Beefy chili on the soup+salad bar was well-spiced. Could have been a meal in itself with add ons like cheese available. Chicken-fried steak was crispy outside, moist inside and thick. Mashed potatoes tasted fresh (not from flakes) and baked potato was giant size. Rib eye steak wasn't the best cut, but we would order everything else again. Apple crisp dessert was included, it was OK. Service fast, staff kept checking to see if we needed anything.

Decor is Western: farm & ranch tools, hunting trophies and guns on the walls. Lighting is bright. Weekends only AND popular, call for reservations or be prepared for long wait. Heard them take phoned to-go orders (but guess you'll miss the salad bar then). GPS got us pretty close. Unless you are a Carlsbad local, you will need directions -- in the dark, you can follow signs for the church property that are lit (restaurant signs are sometimes on same signposts, below the church ones).

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Carlsbad NM
“Birthday surprise ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My family took me there for my birthday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Decent salad bar and three kinds of soup. I got the chili. Best I've had in a long time. Prime rib, fried chicken and fish were excellent. Loved the chili so much, a fellow (who looked so familiar to me) gave me two cups to take home as a birthday present. Cannot wait to go back. Want to try the menu items since this visit was for the buffet. Get yourself out there. It's worth the trip.

“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This was a very very good choice for us today we had brunch and they serve Prime rib,fried chicken, catfish, shrimp, potatoes, homestyle onion rings,dessert and fresh bread as well as a great salad bar. We will most definitely be back.

Carlsbad, New Mexico, Usa
“Diamond in the Desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This place is very nice, the owner and staff are great, I have yet to experience bad or slow service! You always start off with a basket of rolls and corn bread and trust me you'll love the taste! My family and I are weekly visitors. I consider myself a pretty good judge of food and this place is among the best in town. The salad bar is by far the best in the area, always fresh and stocked! I usually order the fish, and the kids have a chicken fried steak or a burger. They run a daily special which includes desert and the salad bar at a very reasonable price! I could go on and on with positives! I hope the community and our tourist give this place the support it deserves! All in all it's a very nice place!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carlsbad
“Fantastic place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed every little thing in this restaurant. Very country style home feel to it. They played Bonanza on the projecter during dinner. The food was delicious and the salad bar was a great change. Not the same ol stuff u see in an everyday restaurant. Very busy and worth your trip out there. Large portions for a good price and the value was on point. Soup and salad bar was included w all their dinner entrees so that was a plus. My whole family loved it. We look forward to the return.

• Visited January 2014