“My favorite.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 20 things to do in Carlsbad
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Golfers can choose to tee off at the nine-hole par 3 course that runs along the beautiful Pecos River, the regulation 18-hole course situated in the foothills east of the river or the par 72 regulation course, which is not long, but offers a variety of challenges no matter what your skill level.
Carlsbad NM
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“My favorite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I've been playing LCGC for a few years now and I have seen great changes made on this course. The only big problem is slow play. There are a few retirees that think they own the course and will not let you play through. But most will. And the marshals are quite friendly and helpful with moving play along. The entire staff are very friendly.
There are no sand bunkers and really only one water hazard but the desert will eat your golf ball with an errant shot. Plenty of hill (especially #9, 15 and 18). #18 is a particular hole as your tee shot is uphill and your second is a hard left before you even see the green. Probably one if my favorite holes.
All in all, it's a challenging course and well maintained.

San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Dinky and Impossible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The holes are so small I was tempted to just throw the ball at the green. All of the greens are so domed you have to put it in the hole or your approach rolls away. It was incredibly frustrating and not really fun. But on the up side, you will get lots of practice on your chipping.

Mason City NE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lake Carlsbad Golf Course... a great golf deal for the money.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My wife and I chose to spend the winter in Carlsbad in 2011 largely because of the "hunch" that the Lake Carlsbad Golf Course would serve as a major part of our recreational desires. We wanted easy access, an attractive course, friendly staff, a driving range and putting green, and we wanted the best price possible.

What we got was a quality eighteen hole course along with an adjacent nine hole executive course for the same money.... $250 for three months for the two of us. Yes, you read that correctly. Two courses, all the amenities, muni courses along the Pecos River. Two people play for $250... three months. No typos here. So where else are you going to find a deal like that? And Carlsbad is a great little town with some very nice restaurants, the world famous Caverns, and a first class botanical garden and zoo, The Living Desert.

By the way, we're headed back again this winter... Arizona, Texas, and Florida couldn't come close to the deal we are getting in Carlsbad.

Visited January 2011
New Mexico
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beginner's Viewpoint: Nine-Hole is a Good Place to Learn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I began learning to play golf recently. The nine-hole, par three is a good, non-intimidating place to start. I like the views as you play along the river. It's usually not crowded, and it's also surprisingly inexpensive: $5.50 to play through the nine-hole twice. Hard to beat that. The greens could be a little nicer, but considering everything else the course is an asset to the community.