“Turtle Hatchery, Prairie Dogs, Greenhouse & more.” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 20 Attractions in Carlsbad
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico
“Turtle Hatchery, Prairie Dogs, Greenhouse & more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We got in at a reduced price with coupons from our lodging. It was a pleasant couple of hours of strolling through the grounds and we learned some things we didn't know. I did feel sorry for some of the animals like the bear and big cats; I wish I knew if they were rescues that couldn't survive in the wild or if they are just captives. My views of zoos in general have changed over the years, but we really enjoyed seeing the prairie dogs and turtle hatcheries. Unlike some attractions that I would visit repeatedly (e.g. Carlsbad Caverns, City of Rocks), one visit will suffice for this one. I hope I can get my photos to upload (seems to be a problem with the website there); the views down into the valley were very nice. In fact, Carlsbad as a town exceeded my expectations. We came here for several days R & R around a wedding I officiated and the more we explored, the more we liked it.

Visited October 2011