“Super friendly, worth the money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlsbad KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlsbad
Carlsbad KOA
You added Carlsbad KOA to your Saves list
2 Manthei Rd, Carlsbad, NM 88220   |
“Super friendly, worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Have been to a few KOA's on my trips, as well as other campgrounds, and have to say that this one is in my top 10. We arrived around 7:15pm and they were as friendly as if they had just opened, rather than being in the last hour before closing. We got a tent site with electric, which was a bit more expensive than I usually pay for such. Upon seeing the site, I immediately understood why--it is extremely nice and well done. They have a "tent village", which is composed of 6 sites in a circle, divided by wooden fences into wedge shapes. There is a light for the site (a big plus), site is flat and grassy, has a grill, also a picnic table on a cement slab, plus a countertop area with a cupboard underneath. Very, very nice. We heard coyotes and lots of birds, but otherwise a very quiet place once it was bedtime. Tip: sites TV2, 3 and 4 are the best of the 6. Also, make sure you do not leave ANYTHING on the table overnight--lucky for us, we left just an empty box and the sleeve for our tent poles there and they were undisturbed in the morning, despite hearing some animal just outside the tent pawing around it and making odd noises right as we were going to sleep! Will recommend to anyone visiting the area!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012 via mobile

We came with friends in an RV and then rented a Kozy Kabin. RV spots are large and well-spaced. Park has tons of activities for kids - volleyball, basketball, tether ball, pool (seasonal).

Staff was incredibly helpful with local info, traffic around Carlsbad, food recommendations.

Kozy Kabin is a little overpriced for what you get considering you have to supply everything except toilet paper. Beds have heavy duty plastic on them which makes them very noisy- no idea how to improve that.

• Stayed March 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I. Joked about how friendly these people were. When I walked in at 8am in the morning to get coffee they had just opened and there were 3 men in yellow shirts waiting to help me make my gormet coffee. When I asked about an interesting photo of the kampground I saw... 5 minutes later I was getting a lesson about a natural phenomenon involving needlegrass that happened there a few years back. The staff loves their guests and it shows. The grounds are impeccable. Extremely dog friendly. My only complaint was that it was 90 degrees and the pool wasn't open and the hot tub hours were 3 to 9pm and that is really irritating to me bc you pay the same price and its listed as an amenity on the website. Those kind of things you don't find out until you've booked the place, you know? We chose this place bc we really wanted to take a dip and cool off after a long ride. Oh well... it was a great stay otherwise and i'd surely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in January as part of a pre-organised tour.

We arrived in the evening so couldn't see much of the campground except for the brilliant view of the stars you get as this place is away from other light sources. We stayed in the kabins (see the pics) - some sleep up to 6, ours slept up to 4 (double bed and single bed in the one room). Even in the depths of winter, the kabins will keep you warm - my roommate didn't switch the heater off before going to bed, so by 2am it was so warm we had to turn it off! The kabin was clean and there were was a small desk and shelf to put your stuff on, plus enough room for cases & rucksacks. The beds weren't bad and due to the location, you don't have to worry about noise (unless it comes from your neighbours).

The bathroom block put hostels and some hotels to shame - it was spotless and the facilities looked brand new. Being out of season and only staying one night, we didn't use the other amenities the campsite has but the pool looked nice - you'll also probably see rabbits running around if you're lucky in the morning (see the photo!).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I decided to stay here from Thursday-Sunday, August 4-7, 2011, for my visit to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. Ended up being a great choice for me.

This KOA is located about 15 or 20 minutes north of Carlsbad and about an hour from the Caverns (which are on the south side of Carlsbad). While this was a bit farther from the National Park than staying in Carlsbad itself, I liked being away from everything and would stay here again. Excellent, helpful and friendly staff both on check in and throughout.

Because I was visiting in the heat of August (days were regularly 105 degrees), I booked a Studio Lodge Kamping Kabin. Air conditioned. My own bathroom. Mini-fridge to keep my water cool. Free wi-fi. A TV (which I never watched). I rented linens/towels from KOA (only $15 total for the entire stay), so I didn't have to pack those having flown to ABQ for this visit.

And I didn't have to cook either. They offer an excellent BBQ option. I had Scott's Combo (brisket, pork, sausage; choice of potato salad, french fries or twice-baked potato; beans, bread, pickle, onion for $15.95) both this night and again on Saturday night. They'll even deliver to your site! Bonus! Very, very good. On Saturday night I added in the Key Lime Pie which turned out to only be average. I could have skipped it.

They also have a nice, clean pool (which I used) and an outdoor hot tub for adults (which I did not for obvious reasons).

Glad I stayed here. It was worth it.

Keith

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Templeton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This place is run by the nicest people you'll ever meet. This was my second stay here, I was here back in April 2010, as well. The facilities are clean, well-maintained, well-monitored, and convenient. Everything from the laundry room to the bathroom to the little store...it was all perfect. The pool is scrubbed clean daily (you'll see them at it each morning) and I believe it's a salt water pool which I love. The hot tub is for adults only, which is nice and relaxing, especially after a long (LONG) day of trekking 800 feet underground in the caverns. We've stayed here as tent campers (grassy, spacious sites) and this last time in the "kamping kabins." Really great stay both times. The kabins are roomy & air conditioned, which is all you can ask for in New Mexico in August. There are wild rabbits EVERYWHERE on the property--so CUTE! The place is just a piece of heaven. I really, really recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
giffweav
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Great out of way place. Little bit of a drive to the caverns but we didn't mind and the scenery is much nicer than staying in town. Used the two room Kamping Kabin. Clean and comfy. Kids loved all the rabbits that were around the area. Pool, basketball, ping pong, etc. kept the kids entertained and the breakfast and dinner were great so that we didn't have to leave the grounds. Very friendly folks and they Kamp dog Abby was loved by all. And being out of the main town gave us a quiet night looking at the stars. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Carlsbad KOA? Share your experiences!