“Expensive Rubbish” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   3706 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn - Carlsbad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Carlsbad
Somerset Village, Bermuda
“Expensive Rubbish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

As long term Choice Privileges hotels users we were dismayed at this one......Carlsbad seems to think it has the right to charge extortionate rates compared to sister hotels in other locations around the country.....guess that is solely to do with the oil related businesses in the area & maybe the caverns but to pay over $100 incl tax for this rundown place (although Holiday Inn Express was over $200) seems completely out of keeping with what is supplied. We parked in a row of vehicles closest to & directly in front of reception because we could not pull up to our room which was on the inside row. Was awoken at 3am with a vehicle alarm....looked out it was where our car was parked...dressed & went out.....the SUV two cars away from ours had been broken into.....not a sole reacted from hotel reception area!....enquired in the am as the evidence...ie the bottle & a an impact glove packaging plus the shattered glass were still on the ground.....the receptionist was non-plussed like it probably happened before... no big deal
....breakfast was abysmal.....coffee had run out....there was nothing left at 8.30am....."lady will be back soon"....she wasnt....we left.....Choice P you should review this one guys!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EconolodgeCarlsbadNM, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
To share such an unlikely hotel experience is really saddening for us. Our goal is to provide the best service to each of our valued guests. We apologize that it was not what you had expected from us. As a valued guest of our hotel, we want you to have the best customer experience and greatly enjoy your money’s worth. Your concern regarding the breakfast availability as well as the security of your vehicle will be forwarded to the staff to ensure that these will not happen again in the future. We hope for a chance to serve you better should you decide to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Room didn't feel clean, bathroom towels etc. seemed disheveled, breakfast was the worst I've seen. I had an issue regarding a left item, called immediately was assure they would take care of it, followed up several times, when I arrived back it was clear that they had just been giving me lip service and hadn't actually done anything regarding my situation!

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We are sorry to hear about your inconvenience, and deeply appreciate your honest comments. It is good to know that you have spoken up so that we may serve you better. Your comments about the rooms, towels as well as breakfast will be addressed accordingly by our efficient staff for a more different hotel experience. We will be working even more passionately to make your stays more enjoyable in the future.
Lakewood, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a stinky, musty, old run down motel that should be torn down instead of unfairly using a National Chain Name to deceive unsuspecting Guests. The bed is uncomfortable, the carpet is stained and torn up, the dive sports bar attracts some unusual characters and the Employees couldn't care less. At the free Breakfast it was filthy, the waffle maker had so much burnt leftovers in it that it wasn't even safe to use. A person had left and most of the uneaten breakfast was still sitting there. All this was going on with the only two hotel employees sitting in the eating area talking extremely loud and stuffing their faces like it was their last meal. One of the ladies then got up and straighten up the food area including handling the cereal scoops not by the handles but the scoop itself, no sanitary gloves, no trip to wash her hands and right after she cleaned her own table. The other lady went to the Front Counter where I complained about the unsanitary conditions and the conduct of her Co-worker. She could not have cared less and then it hit me they might have been Mother and Daughter. I asked to speak to her Manager because she obviously wasn't going to even try to help and she told me the Manager was new and wasn't there. I did get her to give me a Business Card and I will let him know what happened. I think this is a waste of time based on the overall condition of the property and attitude of the employees. Choice Hotels should do their homework and not allow a dump like this carry their name. Terrible experience!

Room Tip: Avoid this place!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
EconolodgeCarlsbadNM, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We sincerely appreciate your time and effort in writing us a review. What happened was really saddening. We would like to extend our apologies for the attitude shown by our staff as we will forward them your comments. We have never expected this will happen during your stay. It has been our consistent staff reminder that our valued guests should be treated with courtesy and proper attitude. Rest assured that comments regarding the cleanliness and sanitation of the breakfast area will be properly attended. We hope to win back your good impression of our hotel and see the changes we made in your future stay.
Albuquerque
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I needed a room to attend a family funeral. Karen W. is right - rooms are over-priced in Carlsbad and it was difficult to find a room. When I opened the door to the room, there was a strong musty smell. When I turned on the A/C, it was worse so I turned on the fan and left the room to attend the service. Later that evening, the room didn't smell as bad. The next morning, there was only white bread for toast and cereal. Also bagels and cream cheese. Wheat or whole grain bread would have been welcomed. No fruit except syrupy fruit cocktail. I was planning to stay two nights, but decided to head home rather than shell out another $100 for one person.

Room Tip: There is no elevator to the second level so if you have heavy bags or are not strong to carry your l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We would like to express our apologies for an inconvenient stay on your recent visit at our hotel. Cleanliness and sanitation is always our top priority and receive a feedback regarding that is really saddening for us. We always aim to meet up with our valued guests’ expectations and would even want to exceed that. Allow us to make changes and share with you our improved facilities and services on your next stay.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This property has changed names and is now Econolodge. If you are looking for a place to stay in Carlsbad plan way ahead and make reservations early. Most hotels are booked due to the oil and potash industry boom. Don't let the hotel lobby fool you the rooms are filthy. The light fixture over the sink was loaded with dead bugs, the sheets had some type of stains all over them, the bedspread was "buggy" I was bitten every time I sat on top of the it, the arms of the chairs and telephone were sticky... unfortunately I could go on forever. The hotel is filled with oil and fertilizer workers who are booked there 18 months. They gather outside the rooms at night and BBQ on the sidewalks, drink beer and party all night. Not bad guys but they are very loud and you can't even walk down the sidewalks. To top everything off the pool is closed in the middle of the summer in 108 degree weather. Even if it was open there are no lounge chairs or places to sit around the pool so it appears that they have no intention of working to get the pool open this season.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here try to get a courtyard room. The exterior rooms overlook the trailer park.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you effort to give us an honest review. We are deeply sorry for an uncomfortable stay during your last visit. A review from a valued guest is very important in our aim to delight and satisfy you with our room accommodations and services. Your comments and suggestions will help us in evaluating the areas the needs more improvement. We hope you’ll see these changes by choosing to stay with on your next visit to Carlsbad.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Disgusting stench in the room. Dead flies all over and live ones too. Pool closed in July. Chair had a disgusting stain of some sort I had to put a towel down to even sit there. I had to come to Carlsbad for work. All the other hotels were sold out. I had no choice but to stay. Its awful and I wouldn't stay here again even if they gave me a free room.

• Stayed July 2012
Our passion for service delivery is motivated by feedback and suggestions from our valued customers. We will be taking necessary actions regarding housekeeping and maintenance as to give out a more comfortable stay. Our hope is that you’ll see these changes by choosing to stay with again in the future.
Eufaula, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Let me start by saying this is now Econolodge. I made this reservation within a few hours or arriving in Carlsbad, New Mexico due to an unexpected change in vacation plans, so I did not have a chance to read reviews off of any of my preferred sites...now I have learned my lesson. Upon pulling up my families first words were "oh my gosh...this is bad". Should have cancelled right there, but we were all tired and on a tight schedule. There is not a good thing to say about this place...and you would think I would have at least one thing nice to say at the list price of almost 90.00 a night...so on to the bad. Nonsmoking room that stank of smoke, dirty carpet, dirty bathroom, no ice bucket, no soap or shampoo, very old packet of coffee for an ancient coffee maker, broken light, 80's decor, plus the entire hotel was booked with oil workers and their families who like to play in the parking with toys. I have only stayed at one place worst, but at least it was only 40.00 a night.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We apologize if your recent with stay your family was not what you have expected of our hotel. We are looking forward to your comments to aid us in determining the areas /services we have that needs improvement.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!