“Awful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   3706 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn - Carlsbad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Carlsbad
Eufaula, Oklahoma
“Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Let me start by saying this is now Econolodge. I made this reservation within a few hours or arriving in Carlsbad, New Mexico due to an unexpected change in vacation plans, so I did not have a chance to read reviews off of any of my preferred sites...now I have learned my lesson. Upon pulling up my families first words were "oh my gosh...this is bad". Should have cancelled right there, but we were all tired and on a tight schedule. There is not a good thing to say about this place...and you would think I would have at least one thing nice to say at the list price of almost 90.00 a night...so on to the bad. Nonsmoking room that stank of smoke, dirty carpet, dirty bathroom, no ice bucket, no soap or shampoo, very old packet of coffee for an ancient coffee maker, broken light, 80's decor, plus the entire hotel was booked with oil workers and their families who like to play in the parking with toys. I have only stayed at one place worst, but at least it was only 40.00 a night.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
EconolodgeCarlsbadNM, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. We apologize if your recent with stay your family was not what you have expected of our hotel. We are looking forward to your comments to aid us in determining the areas /services we have that needs improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Clovis, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

PROS: Friendly and helpful staff, great location, comfortable beds and pillows, fresh (although basic) breakfast, super cold air-conditioner.
CONS: Odd smell in the room, a few ants in the bathroom, room didn't get made up until after 5pm, and fire hose like water pressure in the shower.

As for the pool, it looked sparkling but we didn't get to use it. We stayed Memorial Day and were told all the pools in town were closed for inspection. (Go to the park with the family friendly beach on the river, we found it to be much better than a hotel pool anyway.)

My fiance and I agreed it's a good place for a family on a budget to use as a base camp to sleep and shower in between activities, but if you plan on spending much time at a hotel spend the extra few dollars for something nicer.

Room Tip: I do not believe this hotel has elevators, choose a bottom room if you have mobility issues, heavy l...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
EconolodgeCarlsbadNM, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are thankful for your efforts in sending us your review. Rest assured that we are continually doing our best to enhance our hotel as per the comments you mentioned regarding the smell in the room, ants in the bathroom as well as water pressure in the shower. We are seriously taking these comments to ensure that this will not happen again in the future. We hope that you will have an even better stay on your next visit soon.
Albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

at first the place was ok, the place is currently being "renovated". It was clean and everything looked liked it worked. For the price I paid i was not expecting much however, the next morning 1st the knob in the tub didnt work, had to turn several times for the water to turn on...2nd there was no hot water called front desk 4 times finally got an anwer that the hot water heater broke. One of the basic services of any motel is a hot shower!! 3rd the continental breakfast was GROSS...FLIES EVERWHERE AND ON THE FOOD... The morning staff were rude, uncaring, and stupid! Finally got hot water late in the evening, but cleaning services let in the files into the room.YICK! DONT STAY HERE. Overall Carlsbad is just a rude city, I dont think I will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Please accept our sincerest apologies for your inconvenience during your stay at our hotel. Though there had been renovation during your stay, our aim is to still provide the best service despite the situation. We apologize for the shortcomings during your stay regarding the cleanliness and sanitation of our rooms as well as the breakfast being served. Rest assured that your comments regarding the shower as well as the maintenance of our facilities will be forwarded to our staff for a more likely stay in the future. We hope to give a much better impression should you decide to stay with our hotel again in the future.
Nome Municipality, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was a long-term guest with one pet. The television set kept turning off every minute or so. The microwave was filthy inside. The laundry room was absolutely disgusting, like something out of a third-world slum. And there was a leak on the floor above me that they didn't fix for about a week. When I discovered that one of my neighbors was paying half as much for their pet fee as I was, I complained. The manager basically said, "I don't care. There's nothing I can do. That's what you're paying. Any more questions?" I was shocked at the attitude given that I was a long-term guest who caused no problems. The difference that I was asking for, just to be fair to me, was FIVE DOLLARS per night!

And this is the only hotel I have ever stayed in throughout my entire life (I have travelled to 49 states and 22 countries all over the world) that will not refund money to a guest who pays for a weekly rate and then has to leave before the week is up. This did not happen to ME, but it is their policy. So if you check in and pay for a week in advance in order to get the lower nightly rate, but then have to leave the next day for some reason, DO NOT expect any refund whatsoever, they will stick you with seven nights because they are GREEDY and DON'T CARE. Every other hotel I have ever stayed at will refund the guest for the weekly rate BUT then charge him a higher per-night rate for each night that he did stay. BOTTOM LINE: THESE PEOPLE ARE GREEDY AND DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!

Room Tip: Don't choose any room at this hotel. RUN, don't walk, away from this place.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your effort in sharing with us your recent hotel experience. We apologize for the shortcomings during your stay and not meeting up with your expectations. We will evaluate your comments regarding the weekly rate you paid in advance as we want our guests to enjoy the comfort of our hotel at the same time the great value for the price you paid. Your feedback will greatly help in targeting the areas in our hotel that needs enhancements including advising our staff to be always courteous and helpful to our valued guests. We are looking forward to a chance to delight you more on your future visit soon.
Alamogordo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I should have listened but was swayed by the price.Luckily we did not stay here long.Room was filthy and worst of all toilet wouldn't work.When we told the manager instead of moving us or working on it they gave us a plunger. My husband worked on it for half an hour and got a towel out of it but it still did not work properly.Stay ANYWHERE else.Breakfast was terrible. Juice undrinkable.Counters and floors dirty.Food not replenished.Owners/workers do not understand English.

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Our room looked cleaned but there was a weird smell in the room and outside of the hotel. The whole place can use a big remodeling job. The stair way looked very old. The breakfast was not continental by any means, just toast, cereal, & coffee and the serving area looked old. The only good thing is that wasn't too expensive to stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
mesquite
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was given a room that several things don't work well. Phone did not work, drawers wont open. Light flickering. Room has an iron but no iron board.Breakfast is not that great. The hotel smells nasty. It is very noisy. It is so expensive not worth the money. The pool was closed. The front desk never ever said thank you for coming have a good day. It is not run by Americans.
Please do not go to this hotel. Very old small Television in the room the remote is not even for that t.V. LOOK AT MY PICTURES.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!