“Expensive and it stinks!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   3706 National Parks Highway, Carlsbad, NM 88220 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn - Carlsbad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Carlsbad
mesquite
“Expensive and it stinks!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was given a room that several things don't work well. Phone did not work, drawers wont open. Light flickering. Room has an iron but no iron board.Breakfast is not that great. The hotel smells nasty. It is very noisy. It is so expensive not worth the money. The pool was closed. The front desk never ever said thank you for coming have a good day. It is not run by Americans.
Please do not go to this hotel. Very old small Television in the room the remote is not even for that t.V. LOOK AT MY PICTURES.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
OMAHA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

After booking a night I read the reviews and BOY was I regretting my non-refundable payment through another website. So I was very pleasantly suprised at what I found upon check in! The Front Desk young lady, Divya, was very pleasant, even when I locked myself out of my room and then when I had a slight problem logging onto their Wi Fi connectionl; which were both resolved with no problems. The room was VERY clean and nicely appointed, same as any other 2-3 star hotel I've stayed at during the last 2 months of my Road Trip across 13 states, at about half the price. All the facilties were clean and working and the grounds were clean. Yes, the pool was still empty as reported in other reviews, but was expected since it was cold enough to snow, which it did! I had thought I would move to another higher priced hotel/motel in town, since I had decided to stay another day to do the Carlsbad Cavern's Guided Tour the next day, after doing the Self Guided Tour today, but if they can put me up another night, I will stay here another night. The only downside was cold air seeping through door frame, however the heater worked so well this was a moot point.

Room Tip: Mention other bad internet reviews, then ask for a room you would be able to brag about in your own...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Albuquerque
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

No one needs to improve their lodging in Carlsbad, NM, because they are guaranteed full hotels from the oil and gas business. Keeping that in mind, this place is expected for the area. The pool was closed for unknown reasons in the hottest part of the year. The refrigerator doesn't work, most of them don't in this place (I asked others staying there), so don't expect to keep stuff in it. Complaining does help though, after bugging the manager every morning around 5am for my water and Gatorade from the desk and restaurant fridge, a new fridge appeared in my room after a few days worth of denial from the management that my fridge was even broken ("Did you check the plug?" he asked knowing most his fridges didn't work). The AC did work, and so did the TV...so that was nice! The room had a dirty feel about it even though they did clean every day, the towels were thin. Being a female, I was stared down by oil field workers smoking outside every time I left the room. The friendly young guy with the guitar working the front desk, and the free breakfast were the only high points of being here. My next stay in Carlsbad I went to the Best Western, and a good hotel like that one really improved my mood for being stuck in this area where the America's Best Value Inn just depressed me. Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
South Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

If you are thinking about staying here, rethink your plan, unless filth, mold, trash, and dog poop are your favorite things. It would be better to stay in your car at a rest stop. Toilet seat was broken, water to tank ran all night...ocassionaly would not fill tank. Mold everywhere in the tile grout in the shower. Faucet in sink sprayed water everywhere. Luggage rack broken..pipe fell off and hit me in the arm and foot. Arm chair was gross black with God knows what from previous visitors. Carpet was gross...didn't dare walk in room without shoes. Garbage piled up in walkways by room...parking lot nasty...trash everywhere........along with lots of dog poop. Minimal food choices for breakfast.....ceeal and waffles were stale...no milk for cereal. Pool was not in operation. Does this sound like a place worth paying for?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I have read that this is Carlsbad so get over it! Well I am sorry, I dont know where you live but I will never get used to brain matter soaked into my matteress and blood stained curtains. I will never stay anywhere near here again. I shall shutter each time I even hear the name "Americas Best Value Inn"! YIKES!!!!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Great Bend, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

The non smoking room I paid $82 reiked of stale cigarettes. Outside, the grounds were covered with cigarrettes and garbage. It was filthy. The clerk was very vague about where to park, so we were confused...but figured it out. Upon entry, there were several rolls of carpet blocking the passage for travelers carrying luggage. While this was inconvienient, it did show promise for the facility. I, however, will never staty there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I notice a LOT of really upset reviews of this hotel. Get real, its Carlsbad, Even the most luxurious place in town is kind of dumpy. I have stayed at the motel 6 and the Stevens Inn in Carlsbad. They are both more expensive. The rooms at the Stevens in are a little nicer, but a lot more expensive. (I'm not going to mention the rooms at the motel 6). If you want a place to sparkle with brand new everything, flat screen TV, chrome shower accents, and a mint on your pillow, then don't go to Carlsbad. If you want clean rooms, comfortable bed, a great bar (116 different tequilas!) free (limited) breakfast, and cheap (great!) dinner, all for under $80 a night, go to Americas Best Value Inn.

(and if you get a room with furniture as bad as the ones in the photos, ask for a different room! I asked the cleaning lady to show me a few different rooms in the morning after I ate, and they were all very clean.)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!