“A relaxing weekend!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Flat Rock
Manitoba
“A relaxing weekend!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

I arrived to stay with some international friends from Sept 17-22/08. We started in Woodward House #23, the size of the room was enormous & beautiful with much attention to decorating detail. We then moved over to the Lodge for Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights. The room was not as large but more than satisfactory as we were hardly in the rooms due to the nature of a large group of us staying there. The food, well.........I'm still trying to recuperate from the amount and the AMAZING quality of it. We all agreed on how to gain 10 lbs in 5 days. The food was incredible quality & quantity as well. The grounds are well kept (I read a report about them being unkept. When you have a farm/nature quality to it, there will be some less than perfect manicure to it. If you want manicured, stay at the Biltmore up the road). I have had a rough year in my life, the peacefulness & relaxed atmosphere of the place has rejuvenated me, as well as the joy of friends with loads of laughter. The weekend was truly the best medicine I could've used. Thanks!!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The beds could be a little bit softer (but I'm not complaining)
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

I stayed at HLI with a group of friends in mid-September. It was my second trip to the property. I stayed in rooms at The Woodward House and at The Lodge. Both rooms were nice, but I'm partial to the lovely bread-and-breakfast, country-nook feel of The Woodward House. We also stayed in The Woodward House last year.

We ate at Seasons, the on site restaurant, for breakfast each morning. The breakfast buffet was delicious and well stocked. We also had two dinners at Seasons and the food there was exceptional, as was the service of the waitstaff.

The property itself is beautiful. Nicely landscaped, well maintained, and designed to instill a feeling of tranquility. A walk to the lake, complete with kayaks and paddleboats, was lovely and peaceful. There are strategically placed benches, hammocks and swings, so you can take advantage of opportunities to sit and enjoy the view.

Overall I felt rested, refreshed and well fed after my trip to Highland Lake Inn. I plan to make this an annual trip!

fort lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

This highly publicized B & B is definitely not worth the price: the grounds and the rooms are showing wear and tear: I arrived on a Thursday afternoon and realized within a few hours that the room was covered in soot! Even though they knew I was going to be given that room no one had been there to check if it was clean or not. Some of the staff seem tired of the work they do; they are not as helpful as they should be for a $200.night room, nor are they as pleasant as one would expect in such surroundings. The food was OK but not anything superior as it is supposed to be: I had the lamb for dinner one night and the tamal it was served with was inedible. The breakfasts are good but sameness is the problem. All in all the hotel needs to be given a total new facelift and its staff a tour of other B&Bs in that price range so that they can see and hopefully make corrections.

• Liked — Not much!
  • Disliked — The room: it is so rustic, not worth $200. Maybe in the $80 range.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at the Highland Lake Inn with a group of friends and we were all VERY happy to be there. The property is beautiful with lots of possibilities to relax (hammocks, rocking chairs, swings...), just sit there and enjoy, go kayacking on the lake, hang out by the pool etc.

We were first in Woodward House where we had a beautiful room with jaccuzzi (didn't have time to use it though) and went to the Lodge afterwards. The staff was efficient, friendly and helpful. And the food at Season's was just too good. I was glad when I didn't have to eat lunch since whenever we went to breakfast or dinner I simply ate too much. Can fully recommend this Inn as I was completely satiesfied with everything.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

This was my first visit to the Highland Lake Inn, and it definately will not be my last. From the moment I stepped onto the beautiful lush grounds I immediately felt the stress of everyday life melt away. My accomodations were charming, well maintained and very clean. My bed was very comfortable and the linens were fresh and soft. I don't think I've slept this well in months. The housekeeping staff did an immaculate job, as well as being very pleasent to talk with.
Seasons Restaurant was above my expectations. The food is unique, fresh and delicious. Every morning I looked forward to eating something new from the home-cooked southern style breakfast buffet. The dinner menu has so many mouth watering dishes to choose from, I'm still thinking about the fried green tomatoes topped with crabmeat and the berry salad. The menu offers wine pairings for each dish. The wine list has something for everyone, from the novice wine drinker to the connoisseur. The staff was welcoming, friendly and knowlegable. Great service. The bartender(I wish I could remember her name) went above and beyond to make our experience the best.
I was able to take advantage of some of the extra (complimentary) amenities that they offer, from napping in a hammock to a paddle boat ride on the lake, to feeding the goats or just a quite stroll through the herb garden. I also got to enjoy a dip in the pool and a competive game of ping pong in the lodge game room.

Hats off to theLake Highland Inn for doing their part for our enviroment. I noticed just a few things: recycling, composting, bee keepers, organic vegtable and herb garden.....and much more.
I left The Highland Lake Inn with a sense of well-being, peace and tranquility. I look forward to returning.

• Liked — its hard to just pick one best
  • Disliked — n/a
Hendersonville,NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

I was there with a group that had reserved 15 to 20 places. We were not permitted to order off the menu. A special menu was presented to us, with only 6 choices.The waitress acted like that was the last place she wanted to be. We waited over an hour and a half for the food to be served. Meanwhile, way before the food ever came out, the waitress presented everyone with their check. When jokingly asked if we were expected to pay first, she totally ignored everyone and didn't say a word; just had a sour look on her face. The barbeque meat was served without a bun!!!!! 2 tiny hard cornbread muffins came with it. The veggies ordered over chiabata bread were put betwwen 2 thick pieces, but no cheese was melted to hold them in place. They would slip out of the bread when you tried to bite into the sandwich. One person wanted to order a dessert and was told, "OH, now I'll have to redo your bill."" in a disgusted voice. I've never been treated so horribly at a so called "fine" restaurant or anywhere else for that matter.

Stayed July 2008
r_hlinn, VP of Operations at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this review, September 22, 2008
Dear "bradleysmimi",

We wish you had contacted us regarding your experience, so that we would have had an opportunity to talk with you about the luncheon event on this day two months ago. The lady that set up and planned this particular luncheon was very happy with our food and service - so much so that she has another group coming next month.

It is our practice on very busy days with large groups (over 15 people) to offer an abridged menu, one that the planner/host has approved. This allows us to provide all our guests with speed-of-service and Season's quality. The server that handled your party (one of our best) was complimented by the host after the function. The individual menu selections are fully described (including accompaniments and side items) within the content of the menus.

We truly believe that a complaint is a gift, and we work very hard to take each piece of input as helpful advice to make changes in our business that will improve the experience for future guests, but, in this case, after a complete internal review and after speaking with the planner, we're really at a loss as to why you left so unhappy, and why you waited two months to post this without contacting us. We would truly love to hear from you, so that we can have an opportunity to resolve this.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

My biggest dissapointment with this property was that I was only there for a brief 24 hours.

I booked the HLI as a stopping point on my way to Charlotte. I was attracted to the beautiful grounds, their Eco friendly philosophy, the various acommodations available and course, the food.

We booked a large room in The Woodward House that was just perfect for us. It had a huge Kingsize bed as well as a twin bed, a gas fireplace, large bathroom and was decorated so nicely.

The Wi-Fi worked perfectly.

The Woodward house itself has a covered patio with lots of seating, a common area living room, dinning area, kitchen, computer room as welll as a tiny reading room for one with a chaise lounge and windows all around. This place would be great for a family reunion or wedding, it's like a very nice home with a lot of bedrooms!

The entire property is wooded and the grounds are beautiful. As a matter of fact, while we were there, the landscaping in several areas was being worked on, true some of the open areas had dry grass etc, but this area has experienced a drought for many months so you can hardly blame them for a little less green in the middle of the summer......

The lake was so peaceful, I wish we had had time to take out a canoe or a paddleboat! They also have a huge inground pool that we used, cool, clean and grass all around.

The meals at Seasons were outstanding and well presented, even the included Breakfast Buffet was a delight, it would rival just about any breakfast I have had anywhere.

We did not notice any noise or disturbance from other homes nearby and all in all we found the property to be very quiet and peaceful.

The staff that we came in contact with were always helpful and warm and certainly never less than polite.

We look forward to spending a long weekend here the very next time we have an excuse to go to Charlotte.

• Liked — Great Food!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville? Share your experiences!