“A Mistake Staying Here..” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   86 Lily Pad Lane, Flat Rock, NC 28731-9507   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Flat Rock
Certificate of Excellence 2014
miami
“A Mistake Staying Here..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stayed here based on the reviews we read here. It was a mistake. We stayed in a cottage "Sourwood". When we booked it I specifically asked about its proximity to other cottages as we wanted to have some privacy. We were told that there were other cottages around that could be seen but were not right next to ours. There map showed the same. What they don't tell you is that there are other cottages that are not part of their resort that sit right on top of you. We had no privacy at all!! We could hear the people next to us as if they were in our cottage with us. We thought we were staying at a private "inn and resort". We had no clue we were staying in a place that had other properties being rented out. I would not have stayed here had I been told about this as it added security issues to our stay. We also were told we would have wireless internet access. From the day we arrived there were problems. Every time I called the front desk to inquire about the problem..I was given a different answer "they were working on it".."It was working must have been just our cottage", "Just the cottages are having problems", "Someone was on their way out it fix" "It is working fine". My husband took his laptop to the office to try and use it there and it didn't work there either. I explained we needed access as my husband had some very private business matters to handle. They told us to go to the public bar in Season's and work from there. I explained he could not do that and that we would have to leave if we could not have internet access. I asked if we could move somewhere else that was not having problems and I was told they did not have anywhere else to move us. I was told I could leave but we would be charged for the entire stay. I requested to speak to the Manager. I left her a voice mail on Monday and I left Friday without ever receiving a phone call back. The beautiful grounds that were spoken about in other reviews were run down. ..Goats were escaping from the pen. You could barely see the chicken coup as it grass was overgrown. The "organic garden" was also a mess. I was later told by someone in the restaurant that the garden keeper had left. No garden tour ws offered during our stay. The lake grounds were pretty but full of duck poop and I was informed the lake was not clean enough to swim in. When we booked I also inquired about 4th of July festivities and was told they were having them there. During our stay I inquired about them again and was told they were not doing anything. The staff seemed to be as ill informed as the guest on onsite events as well as local attractions. They also had a could care less attitude. On a positive note, the cottage was clean and nicely decorated and Season's Restaurant had good food. However, my family I would have been better off renting a cabin on our own as this was no warm, fun, Inn. We ended up leaving early..without a refund or apology from the management. Since being home I have sent the management 2 emails regarding our dissatifaction but have not heard back from them. Maybe their internet is down.

• Liked — the cottage was clean and nice
  • Disliked — lack of privacy and staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
r_hlinn, VP of Operations at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this review, August 1, 2008
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Highland Lake Inn, in one of our Garden Hamlet Cottages. We take very seriously our commitment to delighting each and every guest. When we do not succeed, we do everything possible to rectify problems and keep them from happening in the future. We are saddened that your stay was less than delightful and apologize up front for any problems we might have better prevented for you. We do feel it necessary to respond to your Trip Advisor report to clarify a few points.

Security should never be a concern for any guest; and, at Highland Lake Inn we are very dedicated to keeping all areas quiet and secure. The entire Garden Hamlet area is regularly patrolled by our Highland Lake Inn security staff. After hearing about your concerns, we would have gladly moved you to another place, but we were 100% occupied across all locations throughout our 26 acre property.

The internet problems that we experienced the particular week of your stay were challenging for us and unfortunately, for our guests. During a recent storm, lightning had struck and taken out one of the main routers. In addition, our local provider was experiencing problems associated with that same storm and was up and down in their service. Between our own tech support people and the provider, there was conflicting information regarding the resolution status. Both teams were on property every day that week working on the issues. Reception was spotty, working well in some areas but not in others. It did take four days to isolate the connections that were affected, determine the reason and level of failure, and then to replace and reset the affected equipment. It is now up and running smoothly as it should. We have also addressed with our staff that, in the event of any ongoing issue, they should be very careful to provide accurate information regarding the status of the problem when questioned by guests.

Regarding the grounds, we strive to maintain a balance of having a country, farm "feel", vs. maintaining manicured grounds across the property. In areas immediately surrounding all our lodging and restaurant facilities, we strive to keep those grounds well maintained (more manicured) - while keeping the "outer" areas maintained in a more natural state, (permitting the grass to grow a little longer in pastures and fields). The water quality in our lake is extremely high and very clear - our guests regularly swim in it. And those darn goats... despite our nice, high fence, they like to get out and "explore" sometimes, but we quickly round them up! :-) We're very proud of our organic garden, and the tour provides us with the opportunity to showcase our sustainable farming methods (composting, mulching, having ground cover vs. "clean" rows, beneficial plants for beneficial insects, etc). We host the garden tour, cooking class and lunch every other week during the summer growing season - we're sorry that the week you were here was the "off" week for the tour.

Again, we apologize that your experience was not as it should have been. Please know that the events that occurred are outside the norm for our establishment. Your comments have allowed us the opportunity to ensure that future guests do not have a similar disappointing experience, and for that we thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chape Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

My wife and I live in Chapel Hill, NC and wanted to get married somewhere near Asheville. We found Highland Lake Inn online and after visiting it, knew we had found the perfect place for us. Not only is the Highland Lake Inn a beautiful place, there's a lake, pool, volleyball net, horseshoes, an organic garden, etc., but the lodging is fantastic, the restaurant, Season's, is one of the best restaurants I've been to in the state of North Carolina, and their staff is top-notch. They have a commitment to environmental sustainability and are always working on improving their site. Needless to say, all of our guests had an amazing time and we are already planning to have our 1-year anniversary there! I highly recommend it for a romantic get-a-way for two, a family vacation, or a place to get married. It was the absolute perfect place for us, our friends and our family. And it holds a lot of people too, we had around 130 guests!

• Liked — The natural beauty of the site and the amazing food.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Fremont, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this "Country Retreat" in the Mountains for two wondeful nights. The property was very clean and well maintained. The owners grew the organic vegetables which were served at the **** resturant "Seasons. Our evening dinner was outstanding. The complimentary breakfast buffet provided each morning was also excellent.
With so much to do if you chose, canoeing in beautiful highland lake, fishing, swimming, hiking, horseshoes or relaxing in one of the many hammocks found throughout the property you surly can not be dissapointed. Spa treatments are also available.
But best of all enjoying the rocking chairs on the porch outside our room for coffee in the morning or a glass of wine at night was the best. We relaxed and left the world behind.
We highly recommend this get away for families or couples like us who want to leave your busy lives behind, be pampered a bit and re-connect with each other while enjoying this beautiful mountain region.
Marty & Barb
Fremont, Ohio

• Liked — property and variety of things to do... or not do
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

After a bad storm we were left without power and called Highland Lake Inn to see if they had a room. They did and were able to accommodate us on a moment's notice. We arrived and were shown to one of the Cabin units. The Cabin was decorated in a very comfortable and relaxing country style with a king bed, a twin bed, two comfortable chairs, a fireplace, a refrigerator and bathroom. The wainscoting on the walls, the quilts on the bed and the warm colors on the wall helped to make us feel right at home. The room came equipped with a coffee pot with lots of supplies as well as tons of towels in the bathroom. One of the best parts of staying at Highland Lake Inn is the complimentary buffet breakfast. It featured cheese grits, breakfast meats, potatoes, pancakes and more. This is a great southern country breakfast and not to be missed.

I will definitely plan a longer stay at this fantastic resort.

• Stayed May 2008
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

What a tranquil, beautiful place to stay. We stayed in the Woodruff House in a lovely room. If you want to stay on a deluxe property that is committed to environmental and sustainable principles, this is the place for you. There is so much to do on site, but the charming towns of Hendersonville and Flat Rock are minutes away. Asheville is just a short drive too. This place has something for everyone and would make a great venue for a wedding or a family reunion.
The restaurant, Seasons, is fabulous and the service is impeccable.
We'll be back!

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable, and the room was quite large.
  • Disliked — The bathroom was smallish, and dark. I could have used more light to apply makeup.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I've stayed here for multiple days on four occasions - all business. I've stayed in the houses, the A-frames, and the hotel rooms twice. The food is good - actually the food is excellent. The accomodations are rather basic - not bad - but very basic. The grounds are nice but you will want to bring something to do. If you like a quiet place with good food this is for you.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
kn12
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

My family and I have stayed at the Highland Lake Inn for several years and I spent a recent weekend there with my daughter. The room was very nice and we enjoyed the pasture with the goats and took carrots with us from home in anticipation of feeding them. We had an issue with the lighting on our walkway being out and it was taken care of on a Friday evening instead of us having to wait until the next morning. We were very comfortable in our room. I was reading the note on the refrigerator and imagine my surprise when I read that not only for $180/night would we have to take out our trash, etc. but that we were expected to strip the beds of the dirty linens and then have the linens and towels in a convenient spot for the housekeepers. At the bottom of the sign it said that if the place wasn't readied sufficiently that we could be charged up to $100 for housekeeping. I have stayed in lots of hotels, lot of area bed and breakfasts and have NEVER had to strip a bed. Never. I did as I was told, but after that I felt unwelcome and would most likely not go the the Highland Lake Inn again unless I would not be required to clean up my room and was not threatened with a $100 charge if my work wasn't satisfactory. This was a little retreat weekend for us and the fact that we had to spend time cleaning up was ridiculous and downright tacky on the part of the inn owners. I'm not quite sure what the tip envelope was for and I felt like giving myself a tip since there was absolutely no housekeeping for the weekend unless we wanted to pay $35 for it per day. I've written a note to the inn owners before and never received a response so I'm not sure if my concerns will even be acknowledged and find that very frustrating. I would tell them to answer every letter, good or bad, to have good communication with their guests and to let them know that they value them. It seems with their lack of response to my concerns at a previous stay that they don't really care how their guests feel. I would not recommend the HL Inn to anyone I know because of the high cost and the low service associated with that cost.

• Liked — The area is very nice
  • Disliked — Inn owners not accommodating
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
r_hlinn, VP - Operations at Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville, responded to this review, December 17, 2007
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at Highland Lake Inn, in one of our cottages. You have brought up an issue that we obviously need to clarify more clearly during check-in, and we have made an internal procedure change to address this.

Our property offers many distinctive and diverse lodging options: cabin rooms, a historic lodge, our Woodward House and Primrose Suite - all of which receive outstanding daily housekeeping services. We also offer another lodging option: two-four bedroom cottages (vacation homes) with full kitchens - which are typically rented out for full (7-day) weeks. These weekly cottage rentals are subject to standard resort industry practice of "tidying up" before check-out, and are a part of the rental agreement.

In this particular case, the cottage rental was for a weekend only, and these pre-checkout requirements do not apply. We are redoubling our efforts to ensure this miscommunication does not recur with any of our future guests, and we apologize that we did not clearly communicate this distinction at check-in.

Regarding a lack of response to a previous issue, we have fully searched our records and have not found a letter. We take all guest comments very seriously, and take the time to respond to every complaint, so that we can improve upon our facilities and services.

Been to Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville? Share your experiences!