“Just super” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Torrey
Dayton, Ohio
“Just super”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

End of a long day and folks at the convenience store down the road recommended. Emily was at the front desk and was just very accommodating. Pool was great after a long ride but the true surprise was the restaurant. I do believe the ribs were the best I've ever eaten. Very generous portion, good service and a wonderful end to a great day. Highly recommend the Broken Spur anytime you are in this area.

• Stayed July 2013
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
We appreciate your review and are so glad you enjoyed the ribs. We are also are glad that the front desk help was accommodating. We hope to make our motel a place where people feel at home and enjoy their stay with us. Thank you!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a friend while visiting the national park there. I travel 90 days every year for pleasure and I travel another 100 days a year for work. I consider myself an expert in hotels and travel in general as a result. We did what we normally do, we book the number one hotel on trip advisor in the area. Something must be seriously wrong with the way trip advisor works because this hotel is not at all what I have come to expect from the number one spot. So I hope someone from trip advisor actually reads this review!!

Our hotel room was not even up to average standards. It had a bed, an old tv and a bathroom and that is basically it. You have to request a fridge if I recall correctly. The shower was hot and it did work just fine at least. The first bad sign to us was the moment we set foot in the room, it had the old, buggy smell to it and very uncomfortable squishy beds. We ate at the steak restaurant they have there, steak always sounds good to me but it was not good. It was poorly prepared but we were starving so we choked them down. The service at the restaurant was slow but they were nice enough. The pool was cold but I found that refreshing at the time for a short swim. That night we slept terribly, awoken several times to the squealing a/c and loud Harleys outside the door. I personally slept so poorly on that damned bed that I had a back ache in the morning, NOT GOOD for a day of rock climbing and canyoneering. Perhaps it was my foul mood from a sleepless night but I certainly was not staying there another night. We got a local recommendation to another couple hotels and found one nearby that was very good comparably.

The rest of the trip was great minus my aching back. Capital Reef is by far the best national park in Utah but I can still recall my awful night in this hotel and that bothers me, it detracted from my vacation experience which is the opposite of what a hotel should provide. I don't even normally bother to write reviews but we are baffled and upset that this hotel was rated so highly on here. I feel like I was swindled. My friend and I were talking about that awful night today as we sit out the heat in our amazing hotel in Florida killing time. We decided we had to write our reviews for the sake of the other travelers that may fall prey to the same experience. Our boredom and curiosity led us to do a little more research into how this hotel could have been rated number one. We discovered they only have 30 or 40 reviews on here, and they are mostly all over the top glowingly excellent reviews. All we can figure is that they may simply write their own reviews. So the question is raised, does trip advisor not have a way to legitimize their content? That being said, I will never stay at an independent hotel again that has less than a few hundred reviews on here. They seem to be more accurate in their ratings. And I hope the Broken Spur takes note. It is possible that we just got the crappy room with the awful beds but that seems like a stretch. Our recommendation for improvement from our room and your restaurant: Buy new beds, fire your cook, speed up restaurant service, clean your bathrooms, fix the noisy a/c unit and take measures to eliminate the old mothball smell. It doesn't take much to go from lousy to good. On a more positive note, the views are great, the location is good, and I am sure that management means well. Because of that I couldn't bring myself to give a terrible one star rating as things could always be worse, however, this is a one star hotel in my opinion. It is very hard for us to believe that the other reviewed guests had an experience that was so much better than ours to warrant such a high rating unless they are all used to sleeping in the dirt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
We at the Broken Spur are confused about this review. We have brand new flat screen tv's in all of our rooms and all of the rooms have been freshly painted. Some of the rooms have new carpet. So the smell of new carpet or fresh paint would be understandable. Considering we bought this motel last August, we don't have a lot of reviews yet. We have nothing to hide or be ashamed of here. We have worked hard to make the Broken Spur a great place to stay. We welcome anyone to come stay with us, eat at our steakhouse and then make their own judgement. We promise you won't be disappointed.

It's a for sure thing we won't fire our cook, since he is a chef with 15 years experience at Cafe Diablo. We think we'll keep him.
Yucaipa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were going to stay at the Best Western or even, Howard Johnson's (GULP!!) seeing how they're hotel chains. I am so glad we didn't.
The Broken Spur Inn/Motel was just what we were looking for. A clean, comfortable, spacious room with an amazing indoor pool all to ourselves. The shower had water pressure that I haven't felt in a hotel in a long time! The grounds were nicely maintained and the view was magnificent! Not only is it a place to sleep, but it also has a steak restaurant, beauty salon, conference room, and gift shop!!!
I do not normally ask people to stay at any of the hotels I am reviewing. However, I want this business to be successful. The owners are an amazing family willing to bend over backwards any way they can to make your stay the best! Hope to someday return.

Room Tip: We decided away from the main office in back for more privacy.
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you! We are glad you stayed with us also. We love to hear from our guests about their stay. We hope you felt welcomed and we are glad you enjoyed the pool. Thanks for wishing us well in our new business. Our goal is to make our guest feel at home and have an enjoyable stay. Please come visit us again.
Thank you!
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Highly Recommend!! It is a nice family owned operation. A few minor glitches were attended to promptly and satisfactorily. Best lodging in the area. Good restaurant. Outstanding TV system. GJ Hannon - Mclean, Virginia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We really enjoyed having you stay with us. We are glad we were able to work through all those glitches and for your patience. We also appreciate your constructive suggestions. We hope you enjoyed your stay. Please drive safely in that nice car!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I tried a different Hotel this trip and was blown away by the quality of the rooms and the great food in the restaurant. This is top drawer food service and is an excellent place to stay if you are in the area. You are just a few miles from Capital Reef National Park and the front desk people are a wealth of information about the entire area. You will not go wrong. This is one of the few hotels in Torry that has a nice clean pool available for all guest. It just doesn't get better then this for the price.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We try hard to make sure our rooms are clean and our food in the restaurant is good quality. We are glad you enjoyed the pool. It is the good people who stay with us that make our job rewarding and enjoyable. We hope you can stay with us again.
Fullerton, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked a room here because all of the other hotels in the Torrey area were full. We are so glad we did. The Broken Spur is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. The staff is friendly and the restaurant very good. Plus, they gave us 10% off our breakfast bill when we brought our room key with us. The room rates are reasonable and the so are the restaurant prices. We ca't say enough nice things about this place. We will definitely book a room here again and recommend this hotel to all of our friends and family who may be traveling through the area.

Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
We are so glad you were able to book a room with us at the Broken Spur. We have only been open since August 2012 after being closed for almost a year and so we are trying to let people know we are open again. We enjoy meeting new people everyday and our goal is to make your stay a great one. Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Not a lot of choices to stay in Torrey UT, close to the park, but Broken Spur is definitely the best choice! Fairly new building; extremely clean and comfortable. The owners/hosts and staff are very friendly and do everything they can to make you feel at home. The pool and jacuzzi are indoor, with toilet & changing rooms, and open till 10pm so you can recuperate from a day in the park. Their restaurant is as good as it gets in Torrey. Great breakfasts, very good steaks, amazing burger. A little pricey on the menu, but everywhere in Torrey is a bit overpriced. We ate at a few places, and Broken Spur is the best overall. The park is only 10 minutes down the road. Internet is free, and very good. And your cel phones work here, as well. We would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it. If your car GPS cannot find the address (ours could not), just punch in the intersection of U-24 and U-12.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge and microwave when you make your reservation. Not available in all rooms (we learne...
Francine H, Owner at Broken Spur Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your review as we love to hear from our guests. And yes it is a good to request a microwave and fridge if you need one as all of our rooms do not have them. Our goal is to make people feel welcome and enjoy their stay. We certainly hope you will be able to come and stay with us again. Thank you so much!

Been to Broken Spur Inn? Share your experiences!