“Best Guided Experience I've Had In Ages” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Attractions in Torrey
More attraction details
Owner description: Redrock Adventure Guides specializes in hikes, backpacking, canyoneering, photo tours and base camps in and around Capitol Reef National Park. Our focus is leading individuals and small groups into real wilderness - beautiful, lonely, and pristine - while accommodating any trip to your specific desires, whether it be casual strolls, athletic adventures, natural history education, or instructional clinics. We love sharing real wilderness, not 'leading clients'.
Walnut Creek, CA
8 attraction reviews
“Best Guided Experience I've Had In Ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

FIRST, Read the whole review. It's long, and that's because I'm a HUGE fan of Steve Howe and Redrock Adventure Guides!

I regularly do guided trips outdoors, and Steve Howe may be the best guide I've ever had. Steve's knowledge of the Southwest and its natural and cultural history is unparalleled. He's an incredibly experienced guide. And he's a ton of fun and has some amazing stories to share.

I had a few days in October and read about Redrock in Outside Magazine. I called Steve and found he was extremely helpful in suggesting some trips that worked for my schedule. We settled on the Beeline Traverse, an amazing cross-country trip through Capitol Reef National Park. He did a great job with logistics, and I felt totally prepared going into the multi-day trip.

Once we hit the trail, Steve was totally on. I learned so much about the surrounding geology and human history, it was absolutely amazing. And what he's done piecing together the Beeline Traverse, for someone who does a lot of hiking and camping, is truly remarkable. Guiding us cross-country, sometimes over technical terrain, I had complete confidence in his ability to guide us through.

Even dinner at camp was excellent - chicken-bean-green chile burritos - delicious!

My only regret was that the trip was 2 days (by my choice). I feel like I saw a part of the world I would never have seen were it not for Steve. I mean, this trip was almost 2 months ago, and I keeping thinking WOW, what an amazing trip! Thanks so much Steve, you're the best!

Visited October 2012

Ohio
4 attraction reviews
“Great Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had a super time with Steve canyoneering/rappelling Cassidy Arch Canyon at Capitol Reef National Park! Few people have done what we got to do with Steve guiding the way; how many can say they have rappelled down Cassidy Arch! We felt comfortable with Steve and he ensured our safety on the rappels. Steve made a point to see that we had an enjoyable day. It was great to do this adventure as we got to see a secluded part of Capitol Reef that you couldn't get to any other way. We have enjoyed hiking south central Utah but have found that canyoneering opens up a whole new dimension to outdoor adventure! Canyoneering/rappelling will take you places that just hiking can't reach. We highly recommend Steve and Redrock Adventure Guides! You will not be disappointed!

Visited October 2012
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
“Amazing Capitol Reef, up close”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This was one of the most memorable trips we have ever had. Steve knows this park like no other, and put together an awesome itinerary built around what we wanted. We couldn't ask for a better adventure. Postcard views everywhere! bring a sense of adventure and curiosity. And don't forget the camera. We were out for 3 days and got to places that only a handful of people have ever walked. We had a great time. I hope to get back to give canyoneering a try.

Visited September 2012