“A place in desperate need of proper management.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Duke of Dare Motor Lodge

Duke of Dare Motor Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manteo
Duke of Dare Motor Lodge
Save Saved
You added Duke of Dare Motor Lodge to your Saves list
100 South Virginia Dare Road, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Dublin, Ireland
“A place in desperate need of proper management.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had my doubts when I arrived as the place looked run down and neglected. If this is how the business is presented then I had a bad feeling but I had no choice as the other 3 places i tried had no vacancy or wanted stratosphere prices for 1 night.

The reception is awful and confirmed my suspicions. It is dirty, untidy and shabby.

I drove around the back to my room through a badly maintained parking lot and grounds. the pool was closed and not maintained.

Wow....what a sight. Many of the rooms were boarded up with rough sheets of ply/timber. This looked liked a derelict slum and is such an appalling impression for guests. can the owner not see what I see? What the heck is wrong with managers who walk past these issues??

My room was barely adequate but old and tired. No breakfast at all in the morning.

Some unsavoury guys hanging out in a couple of pick ups did not help the atmosphere much.

No...I will never ever go back and would never recommend it. What a pity as it has such huge potential in such a good area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed in "the duke" on a recent business trip. Premises were OK and didn't smell bad, which is an issue in many hotels. Woke up in the morning to see a bug floating in the toilet. On (much) closer inspection it appeared to be a bedbug. There was another on the wall. I say they appeared to be bedbugs - I googled everything I could find about look-alike bed bugs, etc., and nothing looked like this bug except the real mccoy. Short of a degreed entomologist saying otherwise, that was a bedbug. Having said that, no bites were noted, although it appears common for some people not to react.
The management was shown the bug and they were very concerned and offered to do whatever they could to help us out. Actually seemed very nice and very concerned, but my confidence level that they will take the steps to rid themselves of these hard-to-kill, awful creatures is not high. Avoid the duke, and be on the lookout for these critters everywhere. They are on the march......

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Oxford, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked this room for one night on the spur of the moment while traveling out of town to help a family member move. We arrived to check in at about 9 p.m. on a Friday during peak summer tourist season to find the neon "No Vacancy" sign lit. While my husband was checking in, I peered into the dimly lit, drab lobby to see a tattooed, over-weight, scantily-clad female staff member with bouffant hair waiting on him. Two women, were stopping by the desk as well holding open alcoholic beverages and staggering a little. At that moment I thought that this could be interesting, but in a way that even though you were dead tired, you never really could shut your eyes tight for the night. When we proceded to drive around to the back of the facility to park near our assigned room, we noticed a congregation of 4-5 young adults lounging and smoking in front of a couple of the units a few steps down from ours. I didn't look close in the darkness, but couldn't help but hear them talking over bass-thumping music coming from the trunk of one of the vehicles backed into a spot in front of them. Tired and eternally optimistic, I asked myself, could a comfortable good night's rest still await us inside? When we opened the door to the black of night we were greeted by the odor of stale cigarette smoke and mildew. The walls and carpet appeared to be soiled and stained. I inspected the bed and bathroom which appeared clean then we both noticed a small cricket - not one of the black loud ones, but the soft grey ones that are best buddies with cockroaches and silverfish. It was on the wall near the vanity sink where in about 30 seconds we intended to change into our night clothes and prepare for bed. After a brief tired frustrated exchange, we decided to ask for our money back and drive in the direction of home to find something else even though we were exhausted. The tattooed lady at the desk kindly gave us the refund and we left with no place to go. If you are interested, check out my review of the Hampton Inn, Williamston, NC to find out how evening turned out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Norther VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This place was grubby beyond belief. I booked a room for one night since the place we wanted to stay did not have a vacancy for the first night of our vacation. Could not walk barefoot on the carpeted floors, they were sticky, the water had to run through the tap for a while because the first attempt at filling the tub resulted in yellow bath water. yuck. My husband, daughter and I slept in one bed together and brought in our own blankets. I have been to alot of dives in my time, but for families let me tell you Avoid this place at all costs. Not worth it. Not to mention the family/people above us walking around all night running back and forth across the room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Waldorf, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

My wife and I decided to extend our OBX vacation for a few days. We could not find anything available at the last minute due to the Memorial Day reservations. We thought we were lucky when we found an availability at the Duke of Dare. All I can say is the stay reminded me of the movie "Vacancy". All through the night we heard nothing but door slamming, screams and at one point we thought we heard gun shots. The cops showed up around 4am and things didn't get quit until 6am. Needless to say we left before 7am.

This has been our worst and most frightening motel stay ever.

I advise you view the movie Vacancy if you Dare to take this risk.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport News, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed here during a trip to OBX, I had figured it would be a good place to stay since it was cheap. The place has not been changed since it opened, you can't get internet access there at all. The beds weren't comfortable, the only blanket they give you is old and very thin, the carpets were dirty and threadbare and ripped in places. They don't leave any shampoo in your room as most hotels do. There was a creepy guy there on the first floor that would have his room door open at night, he would just sit on his bed and stare at people as they walked by and there were beer cans all over his room. The pool was the only thing that looked nice about this place, although I would not have felt comfortable going in it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room, place has not changed since it was opened
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thomasville, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

When I called to make reservations, I asked the lady who answered the phone if she could send me information on the Motel and she explained to me that the motel had not been changed since the 70's and that they didn't even have a computer. I booked the reservations hoping that maybe it was a small place and still had the charm of being quaint, not so commercialized and to busy to have "personal" service. When we got there it was apparent that no one had cleaned the room, if they did, they did a very poor job of it. We found a plastic cigarette carton wrapper on the floor from the guest before us or the cleaning crew, and the floor had not been vaccumed at all because there was still sand on the bathroom floor and in the tub. The toilet had a paper band around the seat that said "sanitized for your safety", when I opened the toilet, there was feces and a cigarette butt floating in the toilet, at least they could flush the toilet when they put the paper band around the seat. Trying to stay positive and thinking maybe the guests before us had left early and the staff had not had enough time to clean properly. It was late and we decided to make the best of it and try to get ready for bed. We would take a shower and walk from the bathroom area to the bed, by the time we reached the bed, the bottoms of our feet would be black from the dirt on the floor. The next day the cleaning lady came by as we were leaving and asked if we needed anything and I said yes we needed clean towels. After that we left thinking; she will clean while were gone. Keeping in the back of my mind that I was told when I booked the room that if we didn't stay we would still be charged for the room and she already had my credit card # from where I booked the room. When we got back she had left the towels and didn't bother to clean anything, leave new cups for the bathroom or take the trash. This next day was our last we enjoyed our day and came back to the room to find the beds made and new towels but the sand still covered the floor and the wrappers were still there. When we checked out I walked in to returned the key trying to be as nice as possible. The lady working the desk said "Thank You" and I waited for a minute so I could pay her for the room. She looked at me and said, "Well I'm not going to give it to you!". I said "what!" Then she said "Oh some people pay when they check in and your paying when you check out." I said yes, and gave her my card so she could run it. I began to tell her about the problems with our room and she said, Well it was our fault because if we were not happy we should have left. I explained to her that I was told on the phone at the time of booking that we would be charged for the room if we did not stay; that we had to give a 72 hour notice if we weren't going to use the room. At this point we were not making any head way. I explained that everywhere else I had stayed would vaccum and sweep everyday and didn't put it off on the guest to tell them what had to be done and that if you run a motel just like any other business it was important too check with your staff and once in a while check on your business and make sure everyone has what they need in order for them to have a pleasent stay and come back. She said they trusted there staff and if I didn't like my stay not to come back and to leave, all this while one of the cleaning staff was setting in the lobby laughing the whole time I was complaining. We left and will not ever visit them again. As for the Island and the outer banks, it was great and would love to go back sometime. The trip was great except for the Motel and the very, very inadequate staff and management there. I hope that from my complaint and unhappy stay there that they will improve on the way they do business. You would think that for $95.00 per night they could at least clean the rooms properly.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nasty Rooms, Lack of concern by the managment.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Duke of Dare Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!