“We Loved it and will stay again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Island Guesthouse & Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
The Island Guesthouse & Cottages
You added The Island Guesthouse & Cottages to your Saves list
706 US Highway 64, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Manteo B&B and Inns
south carolina
“We Loved it and will stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

The room was very clean. The only drawback... The bathroom is small and there is no hair dryer. The closet is small and there is no place to put your suitcase unless you use the closet or the twin bed that was in the room. The staff was very nice and the rates were less expensive than some of the other hotels that we had tried to get a room at. We were very happy and satisfied with our stay and it is very close to downtown area, shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

We stayed at the Endless Summer cottage - it was really well decorated - if you're a surfer you will definitely appreciate the decor - surfboards galore! There's a walk in shower with a huge rainshower head downstairs and another bathroom upstairs with a jacuzzi soaking tub - two bedrooms upstairs with flatscreen tvs - and another huge flatscreen downstairs. Another bonus is a huge washer/dryer, very nice! Shirley was very nice and helpful in accomodating a few changes for us and always called me back when I called her. Nags head is about 10-15 minutes away across the bridge. The waterfront in Manteo isn't far either - walking distance.....clean place that allows dogs for a fee.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I hate writing bad reviews, but when it's deserved I feel compelled to speak up.

To their credit, the Island Guesthouse & Motel is clean and quaint. Unfortunately that is the only nice thing I can say about this motel.

I am staying here for a wedding, but when I first called to claim one of the blocked rooms, they had no idea what wedding I meant, even when I gave the dates. The bride and groom had already visited the place twice to confirm the block and price. After a few phone calls around the owner confirmed and my reservation was finally made correctly. I was even told which room number I'd have.

A week later I got a call from the motel asking me for contact information for the bride and groom, since they couldn't find it. Wow. That phone call to the groom was one I hated having to make.

It is now the wedding weekend. I arrived and when I mentioned I was there for the wedding, I was greeted with surprise, and then told "Oh, there were gifts for the wedding guests, but I didn't know anyone else was coming for the wedding and I already gave them all away." Wow again.

In my room was a gift bag for one of the bridal attendants, not me. Her name was even on it, and if you'll remember they gave me my room number weeks ago. Yet another baffling mixup.

The motel side is EMPTY except for one other couple. The walls are paper thin, and you can hear everything between rooms. Yes, everything. Why were we placed in adjacent rooms when there are at least ten others empty?

This place is poorly run, no doubt. So much room for improvement! With all the other beautiful places here, I don't see why anyone would choose this, especially in the low season where there are vacancies everywhere. Next time, I will choose anything else. In fact, if they had not insisted I pay in full up front, I would already have left.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
columbus, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

The Endless Summer cottage is excellent in every way! It is a new build so all of the fixtures are brand new; it had beautful wood trim and tastefully decorated in surfing decor. The kitchen was fully stocked and plenty of towels, soap, TP, etc. in the bathrooms. It is located on a residential lot with two other new cottages; they share the yard and large tree house; there was a patio for sitting outside. It is close to the Manteo waterfront shops, etc. and you could walk it if you wanted. If you want a beach front location or need a pool for kids, this is not for you. We arrived around 7pm, and the lady at the motel check-in desk was not friendly; she seemed perturbed that we arrived so late, but I did call ahead and let her know were were on our way. The owner of the cottage had left a guest book with his name and cell # in case you needed to contact him; I appreciated this. The cottage is very relaxing and we would return in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Wyoming, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We stayed in the 3-bed efficiency, in the motel part in back. This place is totally old-school - right down to the hand written registry. The bedrooms and bathroom were super small. But is was clean enough and met our family's needs with a nice sized refrigerator/freezer, microwave, enough sleeping space for six and cable TV. We enjoyed the shared patio space between the buildings for an hour or so each evening, but found it odd that the owner/manager, who lives on-site never appeared or introduced herself. The lock on the exterior door entrance was minimal - just a push button - and there was some noisy foot traffic through the property in the middle of the night that was a little disarming. But, the price was awesome ($99/night) and considering we were out and about during the day and we really only needed it for sleeping, The Island Guesthouse/Motel was just fine. Not fancy, mind you. But perfectly adequate.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

After searching, searching and searching for a roomy place to stay in the Outer Banks area that wasn't a large house rental, I came upon this property and the three cottages. We stayed in the Little Lifeboat house, and it was really nice. Two levels, with a bedroom and roomy bathroom upstairs (nice whirlpool tub for two) and a small kitchen and living area plus bathroom downstairs. The place had all the amenities to make our stay comfy. We could cook in the kitchen (might need to be stocked with some new pots/pans), barbecue on the little grill outside (charcoal and lighter fluid supplied!) and even do laundry. It was great for a short stay but would be nice for even longer stays. The location was great on the quiet island of Roanoke and close to the historic waterfront area downtown. My boyfriend and I took walks in the evenings to the waterfront area and really enjoyed the cute residential areas to walk through. There is a 'Food-A-Rama' right down the street so you can stock the kitchen (be sure to pack your coffee with you as there is a coffeepot, but no coffee -- not something you want to discover first thing in the morning for those coffee addicts!). All in all, it was a great place -- quiet, comfortable and peaceful. We really enjoyed the built in sound system, watching DVDs (there is a Red Box rental service in the Food-A-Rama) and relaxing over the memorial day weekend. We would definitely stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We stayed at the Endless Summer cottage and were pleasantly surprised. For a small cottage it had all of the amenities: granite countertops, stainless appliances, flat screen TV's in living room and both bedrooms, tiled bathrooms. Crafted well with attention to detail - loved the "surfer" theme that was present throughout. Close to downtown Manteo shops and restaurants. Definitely would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Island Guesthouse & Cottages? Share your experiences!