“Good price saver!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dare Haven Motel

Dare Haven Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manteo
Dare Haven Motel
You added Dare Haven Motel to your Saves list
Rt. 64/264, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Good price saver!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Just stayed here a couple of days ago and great price compared to those on Nags Head. It is quaint and yes old but they are updating a room at a time. Many of the rooms already have the outside door replaced and no longer have the window as mentioned in other reviews. Our room was room nine and we did have the window but our blind worked so you could not see in. The furnishing are newer and comfortable. The only issue was our toilet would not flush properly. They attempted to fix but it really jut needs the guys replaced that we recommended to. You are two minutes from downtown quaint Manteo. Downtown is on the water and offers shopping, restaurants and more. Poor Richards has great live music at night. Nags Head is a ten minute ride to Jennette's Pier from the hotel so it is conveniently located without the price. Would we stay again yes!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband and I wanted to stay close to Nags Head while also saving some money. This motel located 15 minutes from Nags Head on Roanoke Island was the cheapest place I could find at around $105/night + taxes and fees (anything cheaper was a good 45 min–hour drive away).

The staff called to make sure I would be checking in before they left the office at 11pm, which I really appreciated. They were helpful in giving me directions to find the motel, since the address did not take me to the right place on my iphone GPS (**Note to the motel staff: It might help to put a comment in the "Getting Here" section of your website that a phone GPS may not lead you to the right place, would be helpful to note landmarks or tell people to call for directions.)

The building is modest in appearance and appears to be a standard budget motel, but I liked that the whole building is in a U-shape with all of the doors facing inwards (like a cul-de-sac), with wraparound porch and rocking chairs/adirondack chairs in front of each room, and good lighting at night. Has more of a campground cabin feeling. The room was simple, but clean and comfortable - had quaint country-style furnishings and really nice wooden blinds and wall trim. Someone has obviously put some care into the appearance. The A/C kicked in right away and worked well.

One con is that the doors to the rooms have a window in them which is only covered by some plastic blinds that can be peeked through even when tightly closed. Our door's blinds actually had a piece missing and I had to cover it with a piece of paper so people couldn't look into our room. Felt exposed and not 100% private, and kept the lights low since anyone out there could peek in if they really wanted to. There were some residents hanging out in front of their rooms (all men) and I felt wary of them, probably wouldn't stay there by myself, as a woman.

There were also flies in the room throughout our stay - seemed to go with the "cabin" theme but was pretty annoying, we killed a lot of them! Would be great to implement fly control. Didn't have any other problems with bugs though.

Bed was pretty comfortable but could use a softer/better quality mattress, something to think about for future improvements. The mini-fridge worked well. TV was a nice flat screen mounted on the wall and the cable worked great. Nice lighting in the room. Bathroom was clean, the towels were different colors (green, purple etc) and budget-quality which was unexpected, but clean and usable.

BOTTOM LINE: Was a pleasant stay considering we were in a great location, close to great shopping/amenities, had a clean and comfortable room. If you are okay with slightly rustic but clean lodgings, dealing with a few flies and the privacy issues mentioned above, and are looking to save money while being practically in Nags Head, this is a good option for you.

If you're looking for something along the lines of a chain hotel (modern furnishings and decor, nicer towels, no windows, 100% privacy) this is not the place for you, might be better to spend a little more on something like the Days Inn or Quality Inn close by.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Overall decent rooms in a good location accessible to the obx attractions. Homey feel.

About 10 to 20 dollars a night overpriced.

Charges for pet fee but then complains if your pet makes any sound. If you have a pet and intend to leave it alone i recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014
BALDWIN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I know a lots about this motel. (1) most of the year Hunters and Fishermen, use this motel and yes it is one of the older motels in Manteo. (2) It is a great location. (3) THE OWNERS work hard to make it a nice place to stay. No it's not the Holiday INN, NOR THE Hampton Inn. but for the price you can't beat it. My only complaint is the bath room small. The bed room area is large. No coffee pot, no microwave. TV yes refrigerator yes. Would I stay there again. Yes I would.

Room Tip: Ask to see room/rooms before checking in. They the staff welcome this. If you are satisfied book it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This motel was just as travelers had described. It was an old one story motel. Towels were old, but clean. Bed was large and comfortable. The air conditioning or heat is a window unit. It was hard to get the room temperature just right. It was either stuffy or freezing cold. There's a mini fridge in the room. No hair dryer and the only thing provided in the bathroom was a bar of soap so bring your own shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. The TV was terrible - there was cable so there were tons of shows but the sound was awful - cheap speakers. But it was in a great location for us to visit all areas of the Outer Banks. There's also a wonderful Italian restaurant directly across the street.
The room was cleaned every day and the towels replaced.
Debbie who was always at the front desk when we were there was very friendly. There were even a couple of friendly cats hanging around outside. There are adirondack chairs on the porch and ash trays if you're a smoker. I'm a huge anti-smoker and our room was non-smoking. I didn't smell any smoke in the room.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mebane, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you need huge rooms, room service, valet parking and a cafe, then this is probably not going to suit you very well. Or if there are more than three of you, or if any of your party is very large...

However, my wife and nine year old daughter and I found it to be quite comfy, and without the musty smell other folks experienced. We were in room 27. It was clean, cheap (65$ per night), had a decent inroom fridge, and a wall unit heater/ac. It was also about 5 minutes easy drive to the NC Aquarium, Festival Park, Ft. Raleigh and the NC Mariner's Museum. Several restuarants within a couple minutes drive, and a Italian eatery right across the road. Desk staff was personable, and we could park right in front of our room. Wooden chairs, benches, and a friendly cat made me feel right at home.

Ok, so the bathroom is small... We didn't plan to spend much time in there anyway... The hot water worked fine, and plenty of it. Overall, I'd say it had character, something most of the newer ones don't. We'd go back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I really wanted to love this motel. Its got a great location, and a stop along the way for us to get to Buxton, OBX. The outside is well landscaped and maintained, the front desk check in easy and the staff very friendly and easy to work with. The room (28) was clean, but a bit dated. The large mini-fridge and microwave were a nice touch. The bathroom was tiny, but the water was hot. It took about 2 hours for the room to cool down, since the AC must be cut off after each visitor leaves. All this was fine. My only issue was the same as other reviewers. An overwhelming musty smell that never went away. I just can't move past it. I smelled it when we got there, when we came back from dinner, and every minute in the room. If this is not an issue for you, all the other things offered (cleanliness, price, location) are worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dare Haven Motel? Share your experiences!