“Great weekend away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Manteo B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great location, delicious breakfast, great service. The house is very loud (you can hear the neighbor walking to the bathroom in the morning), but very good price and beautiful rooms! Great fireplace on back porch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our stay at the Cameron House Inn was our first experience at a bed and breakfast and we were so thrilled to have such a wonderful time. Our reservation was for Valentine's Day weekend 2014 and we traveled 2 hours to get to our destination. I emailed the innkeeper ahead of time to make sure she was aware that we would arrive outside of the normal check-in times. She was almost immediate in her response and reminded us that we would have a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us on arrival - she even asked if we preferred a dry or sweet varietal.
When we arrived, Jennifer greeted us promptly and gave us a tour of the home, even taking the time to describe its history and unique architectural features.
Some of the best parts of our stay:
* Our room was attended to each day - the bed was made, fresh towels and soaps provided, etc - everything you would expect in a traditional hotel.
* Baked goods everywhere! And I mean, delicious. Cherry bars, Reese's cookies, you name it. There was something delicious to sample at all times.
* A fully stocked mini fridge - waters, sodas, juices, etc. This came in handy as we would venture out for the day.
* Hot breakfast! Prior to our stay, I had seen some reviews where guests complained about the lack of a hot breakfast. It seems that the innkeepers have responded to the feedback and really stepped up their game - we enjoyed a wide variety of food both days.
* The ambiance - plain and simple. This place is so cozy and inviting I didn't want to leave. Although we spent quite a bit of time being tourists, we really enjoyed coming "home" and relaxing in front of the fireplace, reading, playing Scrabble, enjoying a glass of wine.
I could go on and on but you get the gist. We loved this place so much, we will return again and again!
Thank you to Jennifer and Bernadette for their hospitality. We'll see you again soon!

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the rooms on their website - they have photos of each one. That really helped u...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Wake forest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We found the Cameron House in to be a nice house and good location. If you plan to stay here you need to be aware that this B&B is not typical in the way it operates. One of owners lives next door but we never saw her during our visit. When we arrived we were unable to contact anyone, after waiting around we discovered the home to be unlocked and we ended up finding our room on our own. Keys of unoccupied rooms are left in the doors.

If you do not mind a kind of do it yourself B&B this may work for you. If you want more of a hands on experience you will be disappointed. People who came in the mornings to prepare a few hot items for breakfast were friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
McOwen1, Owner at Cameron House Inn, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We appreciate your feedback. At Cameron House Inn personal service is highly valued. We personally greet each guest at check in to get them settled in, answer questions and help in any other ways we can. Our innkeepers cook a hot breakfast every morning. The rooms are refreshed each day during your stay and we bake cookies and other goodies for guests. Since opening 14 years ago we've successfully used a service for guests to notify and speak with us when they arrive by pushing a button at the front door. As soon as guests arrive either the owners who live next door or the innkeeper who lives in another adjacent house speaks with them and comes over immediately.

We do our best to provide personal service while at the same time giving guests space to enjoy their time together. Staff is always on duty and available by pushing a button in the room or by direct phone line.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

At least that's how I feel.
My work brings me to Manteo every month and I have
stayed elsewhere. After staying at the Cameron House I
have never looked back.
Quite, peaceful, and walking distance to just about anything.
Beth and the staff are great and very accommodating and provide
a wonderful breakfast in the morning.
If you are staying in Manteo give them a call.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
FLorida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have been frequent guests at the Cameron House Inn and have thoroughly enjoyed our stays. The B&B is a relaxed and hassle free experience. No one is hovering over you, yet they are available to assist if you need anything during your stay. The house is quiet, warm and homey, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The atmosphere is like you are visiting dear friends. Breakfast is always a delight with excellent variety! The extra touch of having a cozy fireplace out back to enjoy during a cool evening, and bikes available to explore the island have added enjoyment and relaxation to our stays. Walking distance to downtown Manteo makes the Inn very convenient. The Cameron House Inn is our "go to" place whenever we are visiting the area!

Room Tip: Kingfisher room is very spacious and has a king size bed. Featherstone room has a wonderful gas bur...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wilmington, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our stay at the Inn was pleasant and relaxing. The rooms were clean and the linens were outstanding.
The breakfast was okay, not outstanding but palatable.
My problem arose upon checkout. I was told that I had been overcharged for a room that we initially inquired about for our traveling companions and that we would see a credit on my credit card. When we finally returned home, I checked the cc and instead of a credit, I had been charged the fee that I had been told I was going to receive a credit on. I called and called and on the 3rd call, I got Beth, the owner. She stated that it had been taken care of and I should receive a credit within the next few days. Well, we left town again and upon my return, I did have a credit but it is not in the amount of the initial charge or the amount that I was told had been an overcharge on my account. All I can say is, make sure you check your bills prior to checking out. Don't do as I did and just assume everything would be taken care of because some times it is not. I am not saying that this was intentional as we all make errors but just be careful wherever you stay. I will definitely be checking my bills from now on.

Room Tip: Check your bills prior to leaving...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had the room with the fireplace (Featherstone). It was very well furnished, immaculately cleaned, and had the most comfortable bed. We came down for the week of our wedding by Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It was so relaxing, were I spent most evenings on the porch swing. I was welcomed in by a gracious host. Our wedding day was calling for rain, and they allowed us to have it on the beautiful covered back porch by the fireplace. Fortunately, the skies cleared right before and it was not needed. We loved the fresh baked cookies that they had out every evening, and the wonderful breakfast. We were visited several times by a spirit of a little boy, once in our room, and once in the dining room in the middle of the night. Perhaps this was Cameron? This house was the perfect place for us the unwind before the wedding, and I would stay here again in a heartbeat. If the inn is ever for sale, please contact us, as we may be interested in buying it. Thank you for the wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The Featherstone has a wonderful bed, and nice full size bathtub. Wonderfully comfortable!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cameron House Inn? Share your experiences!