“Meh.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

This restaurant came highly recommended by both online reviews and the host at the inn where we were staying. Overall, I was not impressed. The food was very uninspired considering the high prices, and the service wasn't very good, either. The restaurant was very NOISY. Our waiter had to ask us to repeat what we had said multiple times, and then would still get our orders wrong. For example, I asked for boiled potatoes instead of mashed--and I got mashed. Then, after taking a few bites of the mashed potatoes, I discovered there was a hunk of gorgonzola cheese in it. And since I can't have a lot of dairy in my diet, I couldn't even finish eating them. That definitely should have been labeled in the menu, and it wasn't. Also, we noticed that all the guests at the tables around us were receiving bread, so I asked if we could have some bread, too. It never came. I asked again, it still didn't come. Finally when our waiter had not been back to our table for some time, I asked the hostess if she could bring it out to us instead. The dinner was to celebrate my birthday, but the night turned out pretty "meh" altogether.

• Visited May 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

California
“Tranquil, like the Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is a lovely, quiet restaurant with an engaging view over the water and boats. The service was good as was the food. We would definitely come back.

• Visited June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Inventive Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Four of us spent Easter weekend in Manteo and had dinner at 1587. We found the menu very inventive and unique. Sitting right on the water overlooking the Festival Park ship was quite charming indeed!

• Visited April 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Winston-Salem, NC
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

This is my second trip tp the restaurant since they brought in new management and a new chef. I must say I was very disappointed on this trip. The menu has lost imagination and the quality of the food is just not what it was. It is a beautiful location and the service remains excellent, but the food is just not the same. We overheard our waiter complaining to the hostess that he could not get any help from the kitchen. The head chef was nowhere to be seen during most of my time there. The only kitchen staff seemed to be couple of young boys who were just joking around and having a good time. The fish I ordered was over-cooked and dry and the vegetables were under-cooked. At these prices this kind of problem is just not acceptable. I had trouble finding anything on the menu that even sounded interesting enough to order. I have been coming here over 15 years and this was the first time I have been disappointed. I hope they get their act together because I love the setting but unless they do there are just too many exceptional fine dining restaurants on the Outer Banks to waste my money and time on this kind of mediocre experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Box Elder, South Dakota
“Excellent, but they need to learn what GLUTEN FREE means”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We had a wonderful meal here. However, we explained what gluten free meant to the waiter and he asked the chef about my husband's food and said it was OK. The next day, my husband had a head to toe rash that he gets when he eats gluten. It could only have happened here. Sad, because it was great in every other way, but that is a BIG mistake where we are concerned!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
tranquilhouse, Owner at 1587 Restaurant, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
Thanks for your review. We have always prided ourselves on being able to take care of any special requests. So much so that sometimes it is difficult in our cuisine to do everything that is asked. Gluten Free has become requested much more in recent years. The main problem that we at 1587 have encountered is that there seems to be many different types, levels, allergies, etc. of gluten free folks out there. Everyone seems to have a different personal understanding of gluten free when they special order and we try to accommodate them all. We will continue to try and understand how we can fulfill gluten free requests safely. Thanks again for your review.