“Not what it used to be!” 2 of 5 stars

Elizabethan Inn
814 N US Highway 64, P. O. Box 2088, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Manteo
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not what it used to be!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2006

I began staying at this hotel when family members moved to Manteo about five years ago. At that time it had everything I was looking for in a hotel, convenient location, clean, comfortable room and pleasant personnel. Well, after staying this time I honestly can say the only thing it now has going for it is location! I doubt that I'll stay their again unless it has a major face lift. In looking at pictures, you would think this was an upscale place - not true! Not only does the entire place need updating and many repairs but it also should pay a little attention to its housekeeping - our room and bathroom were far from what I would call clean.

• Stayed January 2006

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2005

Went to this hotel based on a cheaper rate than surrounding area ($69 off season in Sept.). After perusing their website, it seemed pretty good, but I would call it the low end of average. Cleaning doesn't seem to be their strong point. Toilet wasn't cleaned properly, wet towels still hanging on the bathroom door, and the indoor pool didn't look like it had been cleaned in a year, you could see footprints in the dark sludge covering the bottom. Obviously, I didn't put anything in the envelope which was left in the room soliciting tip money for the housekeeper. Upon checkout, front desk did discount rate further because of problems.
It is a central location for the Outer Banks, but don't expect a lot.

• Stayed September 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

As has been my experience with independantly owned hotels most are a major disappointment. This one needs some major facelifting.
The room I had should have been priced in the $59-$79 range in my opinion, but the rates were $119 a night!!!! I guess they knew everything else was sold out.
Thr room was overall clean, although I did see a few ants. The bathroom was ok too, but any faucet or chrome fixture was corroded and it was obvious they had not been scrubbed in quite awhile.
The cable TV service was excellent, the most channels I've seen in a hotel anywhere.
The room I had was away from the main street and quiet.
The biggest problem was the steps to the 2nd floor, most of the step boards were loose and are just an accident waiting to happen.
When I first went into the room it was 92 degrees and it took a couple of hours to cool it down.
The front desk people were nice enough, but dressed as punk rockers.
Continental breakfast-not much variety.
Would I stay here again? If the rates were where they should be I probably would, but not for over $110 a night.

Stayed August 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

We resently stayed at the Elizabethan for one night. It could not have been a better stay, even my 23 month old enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly. We really enjoyed the heated indoor pool. They also have a sauna a hot tub and a gym. The rooms are pretty spacious for the price and well maintained. They also have a restaraunt onsite that has a wonderful breakfast buffet. They are convieniently located to all the tourist attractions, including one of the North Carolina aqariums. They made me feel as if I was home. We will definately stay again when we visit the Outerbanks in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2005

I am planning a wedding in Manteo, NC. And as many of you know it is customary to block off rooms at hotels for your out of town guests. I began planning my wedding in October of 2004 one of the first things I did was have my fianace call Elizabethan Inn and the Comfort Inn South to block off rooms. I know that this area is a very popular wedding and vacation location so I wanted to make sure that all of my guests had a place to stay. So he called and it took almost a week of calling to get anyone to call us back, because apparently only the manager can make these type of reservations. They told us that paperwork would be in the mail, so after about a month of not receiving any paperwork we called back. And guess what they did not even have the reservations in the computer. We were told that they had changed mangement staff. So we made the reservations again and then we still did not receive any paperwork. So we called again we were told that the paperwork would go out by Christmas. Christmas came and went and still no paperwork. I went by there and asked about our reservations and the desk clerk could not find any reservations at all. I was told I would need to speak with the manager, and a note was left for her. My finace called twice the next day and still we could not talk to the manger and she never called us back. So we called and told them that we don't want to do busy with their hotel. The Comfort Inn South (where we had other rooms blocked off) had our paperwork to us in less than a week.

Burlington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

Some of these 5-star reviews had to either be written by the owners, or the authors got this place mixed up with another hotel. We stayed at the Elizabethan Inn in July 2004 and were disappointed. The front desk staff was very unattentive and somewhat rude. We arrived a few moments before 3 pm and were informed the room we had booked was not ready. I was OK with this, but not with still waiting for our room at 4:30. Once ready, the room wasn't anything great, and it was a bit dated (certainly not reflected at all on the website), but it was clean and tolerable. We found the housekeeping staff to be very hospitable and responsive to requests for extra towels. Another big disappointment was the advertised "continental breakfast," that was very poorly maintained throughout the breakfast time. Our requests for replenishment of items were ignored by the so-called attendant and the front desk. To sum, the facility is not that bad, but the front desk staff was one of the worst I have experienced in many years of travel. I cannot recommend this hotel. As it turns out, the performance of The Lost Colony we were to attend was rained out, and we will be returning to Manteo this summer; however, we will not be staying here. We will pay a little extra and stay across the sound in Nags Head.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2004

My husband and I first stayed at the Elizabethan for 3 nights, Columbus Day weekend, 2002. The moment we set foot in the place, we loved it. Our 2nd floor room, across the hall from the huge indoor pool, was spacious, with ample drawer, storage and hanging space. The large bathroom was clean with plenty of towels and a hair dryer. The beds were comfortable, as were the chairs in the room.
We especially appreciated the coffee macine - being able to make fresh brewed coffee when we woke - with real milk - as the room also had a refrigerator.
Every morning we headed to The Elizabethan's on-site restaurant for what we knew would be a delicious, filling breakfast to fortify us for a long day of sightseeing. When we go on vacation, we get out and explore.
We found The Elizabethan convenient to all the attractions on Roanoke Island. Plus its central location in the Outer Banks allowed us to venture north and south, yet still have time to return to our hotel and relax a bit before heading out to dinner.
We found excellent restaurants for lunch and/or dinner a short drive from The Elizabethan.
Last year we returned to The Elizabethan, again in October, for 5 nights. Our 1st floor room was even bigger and it had a bigger bathroom with a jacuzi tub.
This time, between sightseeing, I got to relax a bit on the benches scattered around The Elizabethan's grounds. Bird watch, cloud watch. I got to talk to the friendly staff - get their suggestions for new restaurants to try and sites to explore.
With so much of the Outer Banks yet to see, this October will again find us at The Elizabethan. Maybe we'll take their bicycles out or spend time at the indoor pool. Whatever we do, we expect the Inn will be as comfortable a home-base as its been in the past.

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!