“This place needs to learn how to run their business” 1 of 5 stars

Elizabethan Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   814 N US Highway 64, P. O. Box 2088, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
A TripAdvisor Member
“This place needs to learn how to run their business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2005

I am planning a wedding in Manteo, NC. And as many of you know it is customary to block off rooms at hotels for your out of town guests. I began planning my wedding in October of 2004 one of the first things I did was have my fianace call Elizabethan Inn and the Comfort Inn South to block off rooms. I know that this area is a very popular wedding and vacation location so I wanted to make sure that all of my guests had a place to stay. So he called and it took almost a week of calling to get anyone to call us back, because apparently only the manager can make these type of reservations. They told us that paperwork would be in the mail, so after about a month of not receiving any paperwork we called back. And guess what they did not even have the reservations in the computer. We were told that they had changed mangement staff. So we made the reservations again and then we still did not receive any paperwork. So we called again we were told that the paperwork would go out by Christmas. Christmas came and went and still no paperwork. I went by there and asked about our reservations and the desk clerk could not find any reservations at all. I was told I would need to speak with the manager, and a note was left for her. My finace called twice the next day and still we could not talk to the manger and she never called us back. So we called and told them that we don't want to do busy with their hotel. The Comfort Inn South (where we had other rooms blocked off) had our paperwork to us in less than a week.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Burlington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

Some of these 5-star reviews had to either be written by the owners, or the authors got this place mixed up with another hotel. We stayed at the Elizabethan Inn in July 2004 and were disappointed. The front desk staff was very unattentive and somewhat rude. We arrived a few moments before 3 pm and were informed the room we had booked was not ready. I was OK with this, but not with still waiting for our room at 4:30. Once ready, the room wasn't anything great, and it was a bit dated (certainly not reflected at all on the website), but it was clean and tolerable. We found the housekeeping staff to be very hospitable and responsive to requests for extra towels. Another big disappointment was the advertised "continental breakfast," that was very poorly maintained throughout the breakfast time. Our requests for replenishment of items were ignored by the so-called attendant and the front desk. To sum, the facility is not that bad, but the front desk staff was one of the worst I have experienced in many years of travel. I cannot recommend this hotel. As it turns out, the performance of The Lost Colony we were to attend was rained out, and we will be returning to Manteo this summer; however, we will not be staying here. We will pay a little extra and stay across the sound in Nags Head.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2004

My husband and I first stayed at the Elizabethan for 3 nights, Columbus Day weekend, 2002. The moment we set foot in the place, we loved it. Our 2nd floor room, across the hall from the huge indoor pool, was spacious, with ample drawer, storage and hanging space. The large bathroom was clean with plenty of towels and a hair dryer. The beds were comfortable, as were the chairs in the room.
We especially appreciated the coffee macine - being able to make fresh brewed coffee when we woke - with real milk - as the room also had a refrigerator.
Every morning we headed to The Elizabethan's on-site restaurant for what we knew would be a delicious, filling breakfast to fortify us for a long day of sightseeing. When we go on vacation, we get out and explore.
We found The Elizabethan convenient to all the attractions on Roanoke Island. Plus its central location in the Outer Banks allowed us to venture north and south, yet still have time to return to our hotel and relax a bit before heading out to dinner.
We found excellent restaurants for lunch and/or dinner a short drive from The Elizabethan.
Last year we returned to The Elizabethan, again in October, for 5 nights. Our 1st floor room was even bigger and it had a bigger bathroom with a jacuzi tub.
This time, between sightseeing, I got to relax a bit on the benches scattered around The Elizabethan's grounds. Bird watch, cloud watch. I got to talk to the friendly staff - get their suggestions for new restaurants to try and sites to explore.
With so much of the Outer Banks yet to see, this October will again find us at The Elizabethan. Maybe we'll take their bicycles out or spend time at the indoor pool. Whatever we do, we expect the Inn will be as comfortable a home-base as its been in the past.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2004

We stayed at the Elizabethan Inn with our two teenage boys and we all loved it. We couldn't have picked a better place to stay for a week.We found this place in the Tourism Guide Book for Dare County.Very reasonable rates for the rooms.This place has two pools.one indoors olympic size and one out doors with a very nice view around it. There is a gym and a hot tub and sauna also. The grounds are very well kept and it's very peaceful when you sit outside your room.The room was great with plenty of room for the four of us to move around and not get in each others way. The room was very clean and had a refrigarator,microwave,and coffee maker with coffee.Plenty of room in the bathroom also.You couldn't find a nicer or cleaner room to stay in.They also have a restaurant that serves a great breakfast buffet.Everyone that worked there that we talked to could not have been nicer or more helpful. The owners and mangement were always ready to help or answer any questions we had. They also have bikes to ride along the trail on the island.They are like three blocks from the warterfront in Manteo(great place),and maybe a five minute drive to the public beaches.This was the most enjoyable and relaxing vacation that our family has taken. Thanks to everyone at the "Elizabethan Inn "for making our stay in the Outer Banks so wonderful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2004

I recently stayed at the Elizabethan Inn over the fourth of July weekend. My family and I had a fantastic time staying there. My children especially enjoyed the huge indoor pool and the very nice outdoor pool. Thier rates were considerablly lower than any other rooms on the oceanfront and they were very convienent to local attractions and the beach. I found the staff and restaurant people to be very accomadating. I would highly reccomend this hotel

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had! My husband, myself and our 6 mo. old baby wanted to go to the Outer Banks Area for our anniversary and thought this place looked decent on the website. WRONG! We made reservations right thru their own site. Upon finding the place, we were thinking it was nestled amongst a woodsy, nature area-as the country charming, english tudor-style site appeared to be. (complete with bikes to ride along the paths, etc.) In reality, it's located on a busy highway, directly across the street from a 1 star motel and crisis pregnancy center. Upon checkin, were "greeted" by rude, unwelcoming front desk associates. Were assigned a room right in the front, next to the lobby door, facing the noisy highway. The room smelled like a 100 yr. old cinderblock basement. It was the worst mildew smell I have ever come across. I couldn't get used to it. The first flush of the toilet was followed by a loud whining sound, then what sounded like a jack hammer. My husband returned to inform me that though their website boasted porta cribs as an amenity, they don't have any. We left ours at home since we thought one was to be provided. I went to the front desk to inform them of the toilet problem and was told they had no repair man so would have to move us to another room! Good! Less noise and smell maybe? After starting to gather our things, here comes the repair man in swim trunks and swim shoes to repair the toilet, which he did. Upon telling him we still may move to another room, HE told us we couldn't because this room we're in is now considered "dirty" and he has "no girls to clean it", so we'll be charged for both rooms if we move. I was annoyed but figured I'd survive, somehow. The smell was still terrible. I felt like I was breathing toxic mold spores. Anyway, back to the front desk to double check if they have ANY portacribs as I was SURE their website said so. No, the guy said they only have one or two and they are checked out. In fact, someone asked for one earlier and he checked with housekeeping and they didn't have any. We were forced to create a makeshift bed on the floor for our baby as sleeping on the bed he'll roll or crawl off of was not an option. 5:56 a.m. brought the sound of a pressure-hinged door slamming over and over. Upon looking out the peep hole, it was that same maintenance man going up and down the inside corridor over and over, in and out. I counted six slams in 15 min. Not to mention the Mack trucks coming through the front door from the highway. I ran out in the hallway in my PJ's to beg for mercy from the door slamming-only to get a denial from him. After a few hours of that, it was time to shower, only to find a wad of someone elses hair stuck on the inside of the shower. Then, to my surprise, housekeeping ladies in the corridor! I nicely approached them near their housekeeping "closet of supplies" to inquire if there might be some porta cribs. SURE! We have plenty in here, and they handed me one. I stormed directly to the front desk and requested my money back for the second night we were scheduled to stay. I should have got my $ back for that night too!! I was nice about it, but I received no apologies, just the silent treatment as the Mgr. checked us out. Even though we were in another state on a booked-up weekend with a baby-HOMELESS that second night, it was still better than spending another night in that place!! Though I was ready to go home and call it a lousy anniversary, my husband wanted to stay somehow. (After a few hours of driving around, we were lucky to find another place that was 100% better-ocean front). I never go anywhere without checking trip advisor (unfortunately, there were no reviews yet for this place), and this time I couldn't wait to get back and tell MY story before someone else booked there.

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!