“a great time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
A TripAdvisor Member
“a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2004

I recently stayed at the Elizabethan Inn over the fourth of July weekend. My family and I had a fantastic time staying there. My children especially enjoyed the huge indoor pool and the very nice outdoor pool. Thier rates were considerablly lower than any other rooms on the oceanfront and they were very convienent to local attractions and the beach. I found the staff and restaurant people to be very accomadating. I would highly reccomend this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had! My husband, myself and our 6 mo. old baby wanted to go to the Outer Banks Area for our anniversary and thought this place looked decent on the website. WRONG! We made reservations right thru their own site. Upon finding the place, we were thinking it was nestled amongst a woodsy, nature area-as the country charming, english tudor-style site appeared to be. (complete with bikes to ride along the paths, etc.) In reality, it's located on a busy highway, directly across the street from a 1 star motel and crisis pregnancy center. Upon checkin, were "greeted" by rude, unwelcoming front desk associates. Were assigned a room right in the front, next to the lobby door, facing the noisy highway. The room smelled like a 100 yr. old cinderblock basement. It was the worst mildew smell I have ever come across. I couldn't get used to it. The first flush of the toilet was followed by a loud whining sound, then what sounded like a jack hammer. My husband returned to inform me that though their website boasted porta cribs as an amenity, they don't have any. We left ours at home since we thought one was to be provided. I went to the front desk to inform them of the toilet problem and was told they had no repair man so would have to move us to another room! Good! Less noise and smell maybe? After starting to gather our things, here comes the repair man in swim trunks and swim shoes to repair the toilet, which he did. Upon telling him we still may move to another room, HE told us we couldn't because this room we're in is now considered "dirty" and he has "no girls to clean it", so we'll be charged for both rooms if we move. I was annoyed but figured I'd survive, somehow. The smell was still terrible. I felt like I was breathing toxic mold spores. Anyway, back to the front desk to double check if they have ANY portacribs as I was SURE their website said so. No, the guy said they only have one or two and they are checked out. In fact, someone asked for one earlier and he checked with housekeeping and they didn't have any. We were forced to create a makeshift bed on the floor for our baby as sleeping on the bed he'll roll or crawl off of was not an option. 5:56 a.m. brought the sound of a pressure-hinged door slamming over and over. Upon looking out the peep hole, it was that same maintenance man going up and down the inside corridor over and over, in and out. I counted six slams in 15 min. Not to mention the Mack trucks coming through the front door from the highway. I ran out in the hallway in my PJ's to beg for mercy from the door slamming-only to get a denial from him. After a few hours of that, it was time to shower, only to find a wad of someone elses hair stuck on the inside of the shower. Then, to my surprise, housekeeping ladies in the corridor! I nicely approached them near their housekeeping "closet of supplies" to inquire if there might be some porta cribs. SURE! We have plenty in here, and they handed me one. I stormed directly to the front desk and requested my money back for the second night we were scheduled to stay. I should have got my $ back for that night too!! I was nice about it, but I received no apologies, just the silent treatment as the Mgr. checked us out. Even though we were in another state on a booked-up weekend with a baby-HOMELESS that second night, it was still better than spending another night in that place!! Though I was ready to go home and call it a lousy anniversary, my husband wanted to stay somehow. (After a few hours of driving around, we were lucky to find another place that was 100% better-ocean front). I never go anywhere without checking trip advisor (unfortunately, there were no reviews yet for this place), and this time I couldn't wait to get back and tell MY story before someone else booked there.

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Elizabethan Inn

Address: 814 N US Highway 64, P. O. Box 2088, Manteo, NC 27954
Location: United States > North Carolina > North Carolina Coast > Outer Banks > Manteo
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Elizabethan Inn 2.5*
Discover the friendly atmosphere and relaxing pool facilities that make the Elizabethan Inn your perfect island destination on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Whether you are planning a family adventure, group retreat or business trip — our comfort, convenience and affordable prices are sure to please. Centrally located in the heart of Roanoke Island, Elizabethan Inn is a year round resort with shaded grounds and country manor charm. Providing for the needs of visitors since 1954, the Inn offers a friendly atmosphere, year round indoor pool/gym facilities, and an excellent Authentic Italian Cuisine restaurant all on premises. For recreation and relaxation guests can enjoy an indoor heated pool, whirlpool, sauna, seasonal outdoor pool, and exercise room. Amenities include free wireless internet service, cable TV with HBO, and microwaves/refrigerators/coffee machines in all rooms. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Elizabethan Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Elizabethan Hotel Manteo

If you own or manage Elizabethan Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.