“Not What I Expected AT ALL, but maybe if you don't have a small pet, ok...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Elizabethan Inn

Save Saved
You added Elizabethan Inn to your Saves list
Elizabethan Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   814 N US Highway 64, P. O. Box 2088, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Bethesda, Maryland
“Not What I Expected AT ALL, but maybe if you don't have a small pet, ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

After looking on the internet for hotels in the Manteo area, I settled on the Elizabethan Inn. Online, the pictures look nice and it was close to the attractions where I would be. There were 3 of us and a small dog weighing less than 6 pounds. I told them upfront and they booked us into a "pet room". And they charge you for every little thing. There was a sign out in front of the hotel saying that they had specials for $49.95 per night. I guess I didn't qualify for the special because we had a tiny dog and our room was $78.38 after all was said and done. I was FURIOUS!! I even asked for the $49.95 rate and was told that since I had 3 people and 1 dog in my party, the rate was not available to me. It was still the same 2 beds- not 3, so I don't understand. The hotel was NOT crowded at all, so I was really upset and if I had not been driving all day, I would never have stayed there and will never stay there again. The room was not a rennovated room. It smelled of mold. I went and spoke to the staff and they said that the only had 3 pet rooms so that was where I had to stay. This room was all the way in the back of the property and I just felt dumped there. I even asked them what I needed to do to get a better room and they said that I could get one, but the party with the dog could not. It was just an unpleasant experience. Maybe the other parts of the hotel were nice, but where I was- all the way in the back- was a dump and it definately put a damper on my trip to Manteo. I will know better for the next time and will not stay there again whether I have a pet with me or not.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
elizabethaninn, manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Yes we do charge extra for pets.Any hotel/motel who allows pets will charge extra for pets. The special rate 49.99 was for one bed queen size for one person and no pets. Also the pet friendly rooms are designated rooms for guests who have pets and are located in another building and not in the main building where we have interior corridor rooms. 99% of our guests do not want to stay in a room that has had a pet in it. The only reason we have pet friendly rooms is to cater to those guests who chose to travel with their pet. The lady wanted a cheaper rate and also wanted a room in the main building where pets are not allowed and also did not want to pay for the pet. She was given an option to rent a room in the main building for herself, but her friends with the pet would have to stay in the pet friendly room. She said she did not want to pay for a room for herself. We can only do so much to accommodate everyone.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

The new owners have done WONDERS with this motel. New paint, nice homey touches show they CARE about the motel. I was AMAZED at how clean it was! In the past, I have been dissapointed, but decided to give it another try with the new owners. I'm really glad I did!

Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Santa Maria, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

My family and I returned to this hotel exactlly a year later...last time we meet the new owner and this year we saw all the improvements they have made...this place was neglected for so long and the new owners seem to really be trying to slowly bring back its charm. Lovely front desk staff. Kids loved the indoor pool. Coming back next year and I know there will be more improvements to check out. I did read all of the reviews and some people have really stretched the truth. The owners are of Indian decent and maybe that is why people are printing such negative reviews.

• Liked — Staff,Service,Within our Budget, Clean, Indoor Pool, Safe area
  • Disliked — Would have been nice to have the restraunt available for use. (Currently remodeling)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belhaven, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

It seemsthat amenities are what everyone seems to be looking for, and yes I agree The Elizabethan had some good amenities. My family and I took advantage of the outdoor/indoor pool only. They were good but I would've thought they'd have a kiddie pool that would accommodate my 2yr. old, he had to be held in both pools. Our room appeared nice and clean, although the refrgerator needed to be wiped down(outside & in) it was dusty. I was pleased that the bathroom was in a room itself but the shower fixtures were molded/rusted and hard to turn. I even had to keep adjusting the water as it would turn from extremely hot to cold. The sink faucet turned on easily but it too was molded and rusty I mean almost to scary to touch. Our room window and been cracked but it was patched up with tape and one of the locks on the door was broken. Overall if you want amenities this is your place because everything they advertise they appeared to have, but if most people pay $425.00 like we did then I would expect to see some newer refrigerators and bathroom fixtures. If you are vacationing with kids seems like you would want more than just
amenities but things in the room that you don't mind touching. Decent hotel that needs to invest in some upgrading.

• Liked — good amenities selection
  • Disliked — lack of attention on some of the items in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I think most of the time when people write these reviews, it is because they are disatisfied. They get a fire in thier belly when they are angry that something didnt go thier way. Rarely, when people are happy do they take the time to give credit where credit is due. I have expirienced many stays on the Outer Banks, in both corporate and franchised hotels. All of the rooms are in the same range for quality. The ammenities at this particular hotel are great, and the customer service far surpassed some of the places I have stayed. When we checked in, out room did not have a microwave, the staff had one to us within 15-20 minutes. The location was convienient to all the popular sights in Manteo, and 10 minutes from the beach. The rate was comparable to other hotels like it, and was reasonable considering the amenities. My children loved the huge indoor pool, and my wife and I were able to take advantage of the fitness room and sauna. Overall we enjoyed our stay, I try and make a point of letting people know when I have been pleased with my accomodations, just as often as when I have not been pleased.

• Liked — the amenites,and location
  • Disliked — there was no breakfast included
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cooldadmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

When we booked our stay at the Outter Banks of North Carolina, this was the only hotel we found with rooms available for the night according to our search of ALL of the hotel booking sites.. now we know why it was relatively empty..
GROSS..

1. As soon as we opened the door, the musty, nasty odor hit us..it was very bad..
2. The bath/shower fixtures were rusted over and peeling..too gross to send my kids into there to take a shower..
3. DIRTY..the TOILET was NOT clean.. so gross, I know I keep using this word..but my gosh.. I can use it enough for this hotel.
4. We tried to find somewhere else to stay for the night however everything else was booked.. I am SO embarrassed to have made my family sleep here.
5. Beds are incredibly hard, almost cardboard like..the cheapest mattresses they could have possibly put in this hotel.
6. This room was so nasty, I did not allow the kids to pull down their covers on their beds, I made the sleep fully clothed on top of the bedspread
7. NOT SAFE.. we felt SOOO unsafe there. The chain lock on the inside of the door had been broken it was obvious this room had been broken into before..or something similar..the door looked like it had been kicked in at sometime in the past.

Summary, for a hotel that charged us over $130 to stay here, (yes I am writing from my laptop and we are still here..) I am truely embarrassed to have brought my wife and kids here. If you want to sleep with the roaches and nasty smell and dirty room this is the place for you, if not I STRONGLY suggest finding somewhere else to stay... I am seriously trying to save anyone who reads this review the anguish we felt by this experience. Gross hotel.

• Liked — Pack N Play crib available for the baby
  • Disliked — DIRTY, NASTY, GROSS ROOM.. worn down property...unsafe feeling..
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We got a good rate using our AAA discount ($99.00) for an Efficiency room (two queen beds, a small pull out couch, and a Kitchenette.) Since it was April this is still "off season".

The location is good for Roanoke Island.

For these above reasons, the room worked out for us.

However, just for fair warning ...

The hotel (and the room we stayed in) needs maintenance. Our room felt damp.

The Kitchenette was not stocked with sufficient pots, pans, plates, silverware etc.

The indoor pool/exercise facility is large BUT the hotel also sells memberships to the general public as an exercise facility.
Consequently, we found the hours of operation to be limited. On the weekend it opened at 9:00am and closed by 9:00pm (Saturday) and 5:00pm! (Sunday). During the week it opens early BUT we went for an 8:00am swim and found a water aerobics class being taught ... so we had to wait until it was finished. It is just not as easy to deal with as a normal hotel pool facility.

Stayed April 2008
elizabethaninn, managing member at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2009
Yes since the hotel originally opened in the mid 80 they have had a full fitness center and they have local memberships, aerobics, water aerobics, personal trainer etc. This is the reason why the pool is so big. This is a business. If the guest does not like because we sell local memberships then we have no control over this matter. We here at the hotel are in to do business and also to cater to our guests with amenities.

I my self when to make the sleeper sofa bed in the guests rooms and also she wanted some restaurant information. I also myself personally asked if everything was ok and if there was anything she wanted or we could do for her. She sounded very pleased, why didn't she say that there was stuff in the room not stocked up.

The only reason why the guest gave us a bad review was because she could not go to swim when she wanted. We have all ours hours and class times listed on the door.

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!