“A Tad Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Belhaven, NC
“A Tad Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

It seemsthat amenities are what everyone seems to be looking for, and yes I agree The Elizabethan had some good amenities. My family and I took advantage of the outdoor/indoor pool only. They were good but I would've thought they'd have a kiddie pool that would accommodate my 2yr. old, he had to be held in both pools. Our room appeared nice and clean, although the refrgerator needed to be wiped down(outside & in) it was dusty. I was pleased that the bathroom was in a room itself but the shower fixtures were molded/rusted and hard to turn. I even had to keep adjusting the water as it would turn from extremely hot to cold. The sink faucet turned on easily but it too was molded and rusty I mean almost to scary to touch. Our room window and been cracked but it was patched up with tape and one of the locks on the door was broken. Overall if you want amenities this is your place because everything they advertise they appeared to have, but if most people pay $425.00 like we did then I would expect to see some newer refrigerators and bathroom fixtures. If you are vacationing with kids seems like you would want more than just
amenities but things in the room that you don't mind touching. Decent hotel that needs to invest in some upgrading.

• Liked — good amenities selection
  • Disliked — lack of attention on some of the items in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
annapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

I think most of the time when people write these reviews, it is because they are disatisfied. They get a fire in thier belly when they are angry that something didnt go thier way. Rarely, when people are happy do they take the time to give credit where credit is due. I have expirienced many stays on the Outer Banks, in both corporate and franchised hotels. All of the rooms are in the same range for quality. The ammenities at this particular hotel are great, and the customer service far surpassed some of the places I have stayed. When we checked in, out room did not have a microwave, the staff had one to us within 15-20 minutes. The location was convienient to all the popular sights in Manteo, and 10 minutes from the beach. The rate was comparable to other hotels like it, and was reasonable considering the amenities. My children loved the huge indoor pool, and my wife and I were able to take advantage of the fitness room and sauna. Overall we enjoyed our stay, I try and make a point of letting people know when I have been pleased with my accomodations, just as often as when I have not been pleased.

• Liked — the amenites,and location
  • Disliked — there was no breakfast included
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cooldadmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

When we booked our stay at the Outter Banks of North Carolina, this was the only hotel we found with rooms available for the night according to our search of ALL of the hotel booking sites.. now we know why it was relatively empty..
GROSS..

1. As soon as we opened the door, the musty, nasty odor hit us..it was very bad..
2. The bath/shower fixtures were rusted over and peeling..too gross to send my kids into there to take a shower..
3. DIRTY..the TOILET was NOT clean.. so gross, I know I keep using this word..but my gosh.. I can use it enough for this hotel.
4. We tried to find somewhere else to stay for the night however everything else was booked.. I am SO embarrassed to have made my family sleep here.
5. Beds are incredibly hard, almost cardboard like..the cheapest mattresses they could have possibly put in this hotel.
6. This room was so nasty, I did not allow the kids to pull down their covers on their beds, I made the sleep fully clothed on top of the bedspread
7. NOT SAFE.. we felt SOOO unsafe there. The chain lock on the inside of the door had been broken it was obvious this room had been broken into before..or something similar..the door looked like it had been kicked in at sometime in the past.

Summary, for a hotel that charged us over $130 to stay here, (yes I am writing from my laptop and we are still here..) I am truely embarrassed to have brought my wife and kids here. If you want to sleep with the roaches and nasty smell and dirty room this is the place for you, if not I STRONGLY suggest finding somewhere else to stay... I am seriously trying to save anyone who reads this review the anguish we felt by this experience. Gross hotel.

• Liked — Pack N Play crib available for the baby
  • Disliked — DIRTY, NASTY, GROSS ROOM.. worn down property...unsafe feeling..
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Raleigh NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We got a good rate using our AAA discount ($99.00) for an Efficiency room (two queen beds, a small pull out couch, and a Kitchenette.) Since it was April this is still "off season".

The location is good for Roanoke Island.

For these above reasons, the room worked out for us.

However, just for fair warning ...

The hotel (and the room we stayed in) needs maintenance. Our room felt damp.

The Kitchenette was not stocked with sufficient pots, pans, plates, silverware etc.

The indoor pool/exercise facility is large BUT the hotel also sells memberships to the general public as an exercise facility.
Consequently, we found the hours of operation to be limited. On the weekend it opened at 9:00am and closed by 9:00pm (Saturday) and 5:00pm! (Sunday). During the week it opens early BUT we went for an 8:00am swim and found a water aerobics class being taught ... so we had to wait until it was finished. It is just not as easy to deal with as a normal hotel pool facility.

Stayed April 2008
elizabethaninn, managing member at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2009
Yes since the hotel originally opened in the mid 80 they have had a full fitness center and they have local memberships, aerobics, water aerobics, personal trainer etc. This is the reason why the pool is so big. This is a business. If the guest does not like because we sell local memberships then we have no control over this matter. We here at the hotel are in to do business and also to cater to our guests with amenities.

I my self when to make the sleeper sofa bed in the guests rooms and also she wanted some restaurant information. I also myself personally asked if everything was ok and if there was anything she wanted or we could do for her. She sounded very pleased, why didn't she say that there was stuff in the room not stocked up.

The only reason why the guest gave us a bad review was because she could not go to swim when she wanted. We have all ours hours and class times listed on the door.
charlottesville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

My children and I went for the weekend stay, we wanted to go to the Aquarium. This place was a motel which was never mentioned to me when I made reservations. I do not stay at motels. When I found this out, I asked to be moved to one of the inside rooms, the lady asked me have we been in the room. I answered yes we put our things inside. She then said that she was booked up for all of the inside rooms. I said yeah I figured you would say that.
I then took my kids to the pool, We were stared at the entire time. After being there for 30 minutes the lady examined my son's swimming trunks and said to me that they were not swimming trunks, and we had to leave. He had ripped the lining out so to her they were no longer swimming trunks. We left without arguing. We went into the room, the heat had to either be high heat or low heat, no thermostat, so all night I had to getup and turn the heat off, so that we would be run out the room. The room was moldy, old and not fresh at all. The counter in the vanity area had been wiped with a wet rag that left behind streaks, the toilet when the people in the room beside us flushed sounded like someone was in our restroom so we had to keep the door shut. THe walls are so thin we could hear the loud guests beside us all night until 1:00 am. I had to turn the TV on to muffle their loud laughs and loud children. I did not get a receipt and the housekeeper had her daughter asking us what room we were leaving out of so that they could clean. I will not recommend this motel to anyone nor will I ever stay there again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — motel outside entrances
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

This place is unbelievable. First of all the price of the room was over charged $119.00 a night off season. The room had paint fumes so strong we had to sleep with the windows open all night and it was 50 degrees. (in fear of harming my kids) the people staying in the room below us started banging something on the ceiling(broom,mop,stick) because the walls are paper thin. Then they called us at 11:45pm while we were laying to go tho sleep to complain. I stated we would gladly move to another room but the front office was closed. (11pm) We decided we were not going to stay there and be harrassed so we checked out at 9:30ish am. The manager said no problem and we left. Four days later there was an additional charge of $75.00 on our credit card. I called 5 times over a 6 day period to get the manager to call me back and he states we broke a picture. We broke nothing. This is how this hotel makes money during the off season. Do not ever stay here unless you like throwing your money away!

Stayed March 2008
Mebane, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

We took an off season trip to Manteo, and decided to stay here. We were not in the main building, but in the manor house. First thing is that I think they finished painting it that morning and the room reeked of paint fumes. Tried to move but the whole place was undergoing painting. Also the quality of the painting was terrible
The rooms furnishings are OK nothing fancy, but ok. The shower would not drain. there is little in the way of amenities. No hair drier/microwave, and the towels were of K-mart quality. I was not expecting a top Hilton quality, but I was expecting a least a Hampton Inn quality, which it was not of this caliber.
The redeeming items were it is located near manteo, but on a busy street. It has a great indoor pool/sauna/hot tub and weight room. Just don't get the room under the weight room as another guest informed me. The staff was also polite,
Overall not a great stay, but some of this could be down to painting. This place does have a lot of unrealized potential, but will require significant investment to realize this. Finally the web site for the place is extremly creative, and bears only the slightest resemblance to the actual hotel

• Liked — location and pool
  • Disliked — amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
elizabethaninn, manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2009
Why would one expect us to be a hampton inn. we are a independent hotel and if we were the hampton then our rates would be like the hampton. The hampton on the outer banks is charging $250 - $300 on a regular season and we are charging $100 -150.

We have iron, ironing boards, hair dryer, microwaves, refridgerators in all our rooms so what is the guest talking about.

Yes we did have all our rooms painted with kills and oil base paint to completely remove the problem of mold. We also had a sign in the lobby and notified the guests at the time of check reagading the paint. Why didn't the guest come right away instead of staying in the room over night and then complaining the next day. If a guest stays in the rooms and does not complain and it means they were satisfied. If they come and tell us right away then we can give them refunds or move them to another room and try to solve the problem. We cannot do anything at the time of chek out.

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!