“Great place to stay in Manteo” 5 of 5 stars

Elizabethan Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   814 N US Highway 64, P. O. Box 2088, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Manteo
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great place to stay in Manteo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The inn is a very well maintained property, despite its age. Landscaping is very well done. The rooms are spacious and very clean and comfortable. Refrigerators in the room is a nice touch. It has a nice exercise room, and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. The staff is exceptionally helpful and friendly. The attached restaurant has delicious, well-prepared food at a reasonable price. I recommend this motel for anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms has parking right in front of your door.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for you comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were in town for the Outer Banks Bluegrass Festival and stayed at this hotel since it was designated "the hotel" for the festival. I read some of the reviews before we went and I admit that I was a little nervous about staying here. We arrived and the front desk clerk was wonderful. She was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and to the point. We went to our room and while the hotel is older, other things make up for its age. Our room was immaculate. I have stayed in much newer hotels with more modern décor that are filthy and not worth staying in. The carpet in our room appeared to be fairly new, there was a fridge and microwave, cable TV, a desk, large chair and wall mounted A/C. The toilet and tub are in a separate area from the sink/counter area and I like that about older hotels. While one person is in the shower, the other can get ready....saves time.

The hotel is large and spread out. The grounds were extremely clean. They have an Italian restaurant in the hotel and it has excellent reviews. We did not make it down for dinner, but we would love to try it next time.

The thing that I loved most about this hotel was the bed. I am not sure what kind of bed it is, but it may have been the best sleep I have ever had while staying in a hotel....any hotel. Our room was clean everyday when we returned to the hotel and fresh towels and washcloths were always stocked. I recommend this hotel and we would stay here again. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Elizabethan Inn. The Bluegrass Festival was a lot of fun and we are already making plans for next year's festival. All of the beds in our hotel have Serta mattresses or the equivalent. It is important to us that our guests are comfortable. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to try the La Dolce Vita restaurant. It really is wonderful! They are open year round, so come anytime. Please call us when you are ready to book your trip for next year. A number of people have already booked their rooms for 2014 and we expect to fill even faster next year than we did this year. Thanks again for your kind comments. We look forward to having you back with us again.
Cleveland, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

On Sept. 17th My wife and I took a short vacation to the Outer Banks from Georgia for her birthday. We had reservations at Elizabethan Inn for two nights. Our expected arrival time would have been around 7:30 PM but after a stop in Charlotte to visit some Nascar friends we didn't make it until around midnight. I called the inn about our delay and thanks to the staff there was someone at the door when we arrived even though the office had been closed for some time. During our stay the entire staff was exceptionally generous and eager to make time there a pleasure. Even the staff in the adjoining La Dolce Vita restaurant was very polite and the service and food was great. We read some other reviews and for those who made negative comments, let me educate you, yes the building has some years on it but everything has been very well maintained. you can expect a minor stuffy feeling presence in even the best of motels when they have been closed up for time. It's easy, just turn on the AC and before you know it everything is fine. I even made the same comment but my wife reminded me we reserved a smoking room which is hard to find anymore and we thank them for that. Over the Elizabethan Inn is in much better condition and cleaner than some of the higher end major brand motels that we've stayed at.
Thanks
Irv & Linda
Georgia
P.S. the staff even put Happy Birthday Linda on the Marquee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you Irv and Linda for your kind words! It was our pleasure to have you here for such a special occasion! We do our best to keep our hotel clean and well maintained, and we thank you for appreciating our hard work. Yes, our hotel has a little age on it, but many people forget that nothing new stays that way for very long. Our goal is to give our guests a clean, comfortable place to stay; and to make their stay an enjoyable one. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Waynesboro, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Although this is an older establishment, it was clean, comfortable, and well maintained. The beds were comfy, and the décor was nice. It would have been a little better if they had offered a continental breakfast in the morning. The prices were affordable however, and the location is most convienient to all the nearby attractions on Roanoke Island. We would recommend it as an above average place to lodge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our inn. While the Elizabethan Inn is not new, we work hard to keep it clean and well maintained. It is very nice to have our efforts appreciated. We are sorry that we do not offer continental breakfast at this time, but there are a number of places within 2 miles where you can get a good home-cooked breakfast at a reasonable price. Thank you for your kind review. We hope you will come back to stay with us the next time you are in Manteo.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late at approx 2am and had an easy check in. The front desk gentleman was very nice and gave good explanation to where our room was. We got a decent price for the room too. The room appeared to be older, like the whole hotel was, but it was extremely clean.
I am overall satisfied with the Elizabethan Inn and would recommend this for others.

• Stayed September 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Elizabethan Inn. As you discovered, even though our office is not open all night, all it takes is a phone call and someone will come to check you in, no matter what time you arrive. Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. We hope you will come to see us again.
Towanda, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We rented the apartment because we had 5 people and wanted to avoid the roll out bed. States that the room will accommodate 6, but if you have small children it could be 8 (2 each in the two beds and the two sofa beds). Full kitchen met our needs as did the overall space. We all found the staff to be polite and accommodating. As others have mentioned, there is a bit of a musty smell whenever you first enter the room, but I think it just has to do with being near the water, and it was not noticeable for long. Yes, it is somewhat dated, but priced very well for what you get. If we don't venture to a beach front property next time, we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay in the apartment. With it's fully equipped kitchen, living room and all the bedding you mentioned, it allows a family or group all the comforts of home at a reasonable price. Thanks again for your comments and we hope you can come and stay with us the next time you are on the Outer Banks!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I made a last minute reservation for this hotel through priceline/booking. Upon arrival at the motel, (in a not too nice neighborhood) the nice older desk clerk tried to check me in. After some difficulties with the equipment and about 20 minutes of waiting in a very odd lobby I was told my room was just 3 doors down. I walked in to the room and was immediately warped to 1970's Motel 8. The room and furniture were dark and dingy, the bathroom was tiny and dark, the plaster on the ceiling was falling off and a door with a chain lock at the other end of the room led to the most frightening hotel corrider I've seen in a while. (akin to something where you might encounter Norman Bates)

My husband walked in behind me and said, "No way are we staying here for $158!" I agreed so we walked out, went back to the desk and told the clerk we were sorry but couldn't stay there for that price. She said she could check us out but didnt have the permission to refund the charge. I said I understood and would contact the manager the next morning.

The next morning I called the hotel and spoke to Rajan (the front desk manager, I think). He argued that there was nothing wrong with the room and he wouldn't refund my charges. I explained that I was expecting a hotel equivalent to 2 stars (Comfort Inn or the like as that was what was advertised) and that his hotel had a ceiling that was falling down and was not at all what we were expecting, and we were not happy with the quality of the hotel and how it was falsely portrayed.

He quickly got angry and told me that he was not claiming to be equivalent to a 2 star hotel and the ceiling wasn't falling down and he refused to refund my charges. I attempted to explain to him that good customer service dictates that if a customer doesn't even stay in your rooms and is unhappy immediately following check-in then s/he should refund the charges for services not received. He refused. In fact- HE CHARGED ME TWICE! SAVE YOURSELF THE GRIEF DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!