“The apartment” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Manteo
Towanda, Illinois
“The apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We rented the apartment because we had 5 people and wanted to avoid the roll out bed. States that the room will accommodate 6, but if you have small children it could be 8 (2 each in the two beds and the two sofa beds). Full kitchen met our needs as did the overall space. We all found the staff to be polite and accommodating. As others have mentioned, there is a bit of a musty smell whenever you first enter the room, but I think it just has to do with being near the water, and it was not noticeable for long. Yes, it is somewhat dated, but priced very well for what you get. If we don't venture to a beach front property next time, we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thanks so much for your kind review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay in the apartment. With it's fully equipped kitchen, living room and all the bedding you mentioned, it allows a family or group all the comforts of home at a reasonable price. Thanks again for your comments and we hope you can come and stay with us the next time you are on the Outer Banks!

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I made a last minute reservation for this hotel through priceline/booking. Upon arrival at the motel, (in a not too nice neighborhood) the nice older desk clerk tried to check me in. After some difficulties with the equipment and about 20 minutes of waiting in a very odd lobby I was told my room was just 3 doors down. I walked in to the room and was immediately warped to 1970's Motel 8. The room and furniture were dark and dingy, the bathroom was tiny and dark, the plaster on the ceiling was falling off and a door with a chain lock at the other end of the room led to the most frightening hotel corrider I've seen in a while. (akin to something where you might encounter Norman Bates)

My husband walked in behind me and said, "No way are we staying here for $158!" I agreed so we walked out, went back to the desk and told the clerk we were sorry but couldn't stay there for that price. She said she could check us out but didnt have the permission to refund the charge. I said I understood and would contact the manager the next morning.

The next morning I called the hotel and spoke to Rajan (the front desk manager, I think). He argued that there was nothing wrong with the room and he wouldn't refund my charges. I explained that I was expecting a hotel equivalent to 2 stars (Comfort Inn or the like as that was what was advertised) and that his hotel had a ceiling that was falling down and was not at all what we were expecting, and we were not happy with the quality of the hotel and how it was falsely portrayed.

He quickly got angry and told me that he was not claiming to be equivalent to a 2 star hotel and the ceiling wasn't falling down and he refused to refund my charges. I attempted to explain to him that good customer service dictates that if a customer doesn't even stay in your rooms and is unhappy immediately following check-in then s/he should refund the charges for services not received. He refused. In fact- HE CHARGED ME TWICE! SAVE YOURSELF THE GRIEF DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Holly Springs, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The female desk clerk was very polite and accommodating when we checked in at approximately 5:00 pm following an afternoon at the beach and driving in the hot weather after the malfunctioning of our car air-conditioning. As you can imagine, we were hot and sweaty and wanted to take a shower and cool down in our room. My wife went to the bathroom and found urine on both sides of the toilet seat! I immediately went downstairs to notify the desk clerk and she immediately apologized and gave us another room. After about an hour my wife went to the bathroom to take a shower, and noticed that there was not a shower curtain. We were both so tired and sweaty that we went ahead and washed off, rather than go through another room change. When we checked out the next morning, I asked to speak to the manager. The male desk clerk said the manager went to the hospital to address a medical issue and gave us her card. He made it clear that he was not the acting or assistant manager. It's interesting that although he said his name was "Raj" and was adamant that he was not the manager, a person named "Raj" responded to comments made on this web page. When I told Raj that I was very displeased with our stay at the Elizabethan he said that I could have asked for the problems to be corrected rather than expressing my displeasure. He got very emotional and animated and said that I couldn't "eat the meal and then not pay for it" but I had to repeatedly tell him that we were not asking for our money back and just wanted to let the management know that they did not even provide the most basic of services. He was not sympathetic to our problems and did not apologize for our discomfort at the Elizabethan and repeatedly said that the problems were ours because we did not immediately notify the front desk of our problems the second time and refused to take responsibility for any of the problems we had during our stay. He assured us that the manager would call us but, to this day, we haven't heard from anyone. We will not stay here the next time we come to Manteo and would not recommend this Inn to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I am sorry for any problems you experienced while you were here, but I feel the need to reply to some of your comments. First of all, we inspected the first room you were in and found a couple of small hard-water stains, but no urine. Unlike many motels who change shower curtains only when they get "dirty", our shower curtains are changed with each guest. Unfortunately the housekeeper who cleaned your room forgot to replace it, for which we sincerely apologize. However, a simple phone call would have brought someone to replace it and you would not have had to do without. This is the point the maintenance man was trying to make. You did not call the front desk to report a problem, therefore you did not give us a chance to correct it. The man you spoke to at the desk does the laundry and helps with the maintenance. His nickname is also Raj, a very common name comparable to John. He was helping out because the Assistant Manager, who manages the front desk (that "polite and accommodating female desk clerk " who checked you in) became ill and went to the hospital. He does not normally work on the front desk. Our Assistant Manager is fine now and is still waiting to hear from you concerning the email she sent you. Again, we apologize for any problems you experienced and hope you will visit us again in the future.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We decided to head tovthe obx a day early and found a room here. We were arriving late, after midnight, and the hotel called us to confirm we were still planning on showing up. They gave us a few instuctions and were very helpful. Check in was a breeze and the room was clean.

• Stayed August 2013
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here even though it was very brief. We hope you will come visit us again.
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I chose this hotel for two reasons: First, it was centrally located to the areas I wanted to visit. Second, it was one of the few places that would accommodate 5 adults per room.

The person who checked us in was very friendly and gave us excellent directions both to our room (we booked an efficiency located in a back building) and to our destinations for the evening.

The room itself was clean and in excellent shape. Other visitors have remarked that the rooms can be dark; this is true, but only if you neglect to turn on the lamps and open the curtains (they're thick!). The wallpaper was in great condition and the kitchenette well supplied.

The only complaint from any of our party was about the shower head. It is a model that requires pushing/pulling to adjust, so several in our party endured rather pulsating water flow. I was the last one to use the shower, and I was the only one who knew how to work that style shower, so I lucked out :)

The price of our stay was $225 for one night. To me, that price seems a bit steep for just one person (or even a couple), but traveling in a group (as I was) with the cost split 3 ways was a great advantage. If you're planning on staying for more than a few days, take advantage of an efficiency: they provide all necessities to shop in town and cook in your room.

Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Elizabethan Inn. The efficiency you stayed in with its pots, pans, dishes and silverware is a great way to save money on meals. It is very kind of you to be concerned about the rates that someone else may pay. Please let me ease your mind. The rates for our hotel, like most hotels and motels, are based on 2 adults per room. The $225 you paid not only included the state and county taxes; it also included charges for the extra adults in your room as well. So, one or two persons in the same room would have paid a lower rate. We are sorry your friends had difficulty with the shower. Showers in hotels, like showers in homes vary a great deal and coming across a type you have not seen before can be frustrating. Please ask them to contact the front desk the next time they run across this situation. Our maintenance man would have been glad to show them how this particular shower head works. Thanks again for staying with us! Please come again soon.
Horse Shoe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Suriksha and Virginia were extremely nice and friendly to me and really made me feel at home. The room was very nice, large, and clean. Two very large and nice Pools, one indoors. It is an ideal location to tour the whole Outer Banks region.
My stay there was one of my best ever at a travel spot!
I highly recommend it.
Jim Bolin
Horse Shoe
North Carolina

Room Tip: Corner room at back of the property Large and private.
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Elizabethan Inn. Suriksha and Virginia thoroughly enjoyed having you and your family here and considered you a part of OUR family. Your visit really made their day! We hope you will come back again soon and hopefully stay longer next time. Thanks again!
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My family and I stayed here one night on July 10. The staff members at this hotel were very friendly! Despite the power going off on the whole island and the majority of Dare County, we enjoyed ourselves. We were here to see the play, which was unfortunately canceled due to the power outage. We booked the apartment, located in the far back section of the complex, as it is separated into three(?) different buildings, if I remember correctly. It was a nice stay, the apartment came with a 2-burner(?) electric stove/oven, coffee pot, refrigerator, microwave and dishes galore (including pots and pans). Two queen size beds, futon, desk and chair. The hotel also had a restaurant attached to the main building, the menu looked great, that's all I can say as the power outage pretty much prevented us from going. The only thing I can say critically about this hotel is that some updating would be great for a totally awesome five star experience. The carpet and the bathroom in the apartment, for example. I'm not saying it was dirty, it just could use some remodeling, give it a face-lift add new carpeting and make new bathroom fixtures high efficiency, don't be afraid to get fancy! The hotel is charming otherwise. Nothing was dirty! Very clean! I left smiling.

Room Tip: Apartments are a quaint cottage type. You might have neighbors next door, I can't attest to any...
Rajan P, Manager at Elizabethan Inn, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your great review! You certainly made us all smile! Power outages here are extremely rare, fortunately, and we are happy you didn't let it spoil your trip. We are glad you enjoyed the efficiency. We are constantly updating and replacing as much as possible and will keep your comments in mind when we are ready to work on the Manor Building.We hope you will come to visit us again soon. Hopefully, you will have a chance to experience everything Manteo and the Elizabethan Inn have to offer. Thanks again!

Been to Elizabethan Inn? Share your experiences!