“Can I give a 4.5?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Manteo B&B and Inns
Bushkill, PA
“Can I give a 4.5?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed the last week of June 2013, room 9 at the end of the second floor. Great room, friendly staff with friendly dogs to greet you when you check in. Room was clean, it has a nice covered deck on both floors if you want to sit outside and replax. We were visiting the Outer Banks and the Alligator River NWR so it was a nice midway spot. Manteo and Roanoke Island are very nice and worth exploring as well. Please note there are two floors but no elevator, it is on a busy highway but I never heard traffic noise from the room. Office hours are limited so make sure you get there in plenty of time for check in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First of all, I do have to say that there are two B&B's with similar names in Manteo. One is Scarborough House Inn (where I thought I'd made my reservation...oops) and one is simply Scarborough Inn. The first is in an adorable house near the waterfront, and I assume they serve breakfast. The second is an inn on hwy 64...no breakfast. We did have two vending machine pastries left on the fridge, but at the time (before reading all some of these reviews) I thought they were simply left by the previous guests.

With that being said, this was not a TERRIBLE place to stay. It was only $100 a night and within a mile of downtown. The innkeeper seemed nice enough. The room, however was in need of some upkeep, but seemed reasonably clean. The only thing that I really couldn't deal with was the scent...and I can't really place what smell the smell was. Mildew maybe? I kept thinking my nose would get adjusted (because let's face it....many hotel rooms have a distinct scent but usually it isn't unpleasant), but I woke several times throughout the night smelling it.

Luckily, we only stayed the one night and moved on to Nags Head.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and found the room to be clean and in a great location. The only thing that bothered us was the loud ac unit in our room. It was pretty loud, even on the low setting and had a mildew smell. It did have very cold air though. Everything else about the room was fine and the price was much better than other places. Wi-fi worked great and staff seemed very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had high expectations for our stay here based on the positive reviews we read on this site, but we should have paid closer attention to the poor reviews as they are far more accurate. The room we stayed in was definitely starting to show its age especially in terms of the carpeting and the decor. The mattress was one of the worst we've ever slept in, and all the lumps and bumps left us feeling sore and tired in the morning. The bath towels are more aptly described as rags, but the real kicker though was the cockroach we saw in the bathroom. It was just one bug that quickly scurried in a crack under the toilet, and even though we didn't see it again, we were both more than a little freaked out. Be also advised that the light continental breakfast advertised on the website is a packet of muffins/danishes that's left in your room along with a coffee maker. The best thing going for this inn is its location, but when you're paying an average of $100/night the quality needs to be at a much higher standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Timberlake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We arrived and went to a clean room. Loved the antique furnishings and the beds were very comfortable. Loved the bath towels and bath cloths. It was nice to have a microwave and frig in the room as well The innkeeper was very nice. Will definitely stay there again and will tell friends about this place

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Edenton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Recently stayed here about a month ago, and though it's not your typical "mega hotel on the beach" it was very charming, especially if you enjoy antiques. It sort of felt like staying at Grandmas Place (in a good way). Crochet linens, furnished nicely with antiques, well worth the money (which was quite reasonable, for a last minute trip to visit the beach). Wrap around porch provides conversation with other guests, but also private enough.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Outer Banks for a long Memorial Day weekend. However, we had planned it about a month before leaving. I was doing research online and knew that Nags Head and the area would be pretty expensive. Then I found Scarborough Inn. It received good reviews on this website and was only $100/night, which was the best price I could find (without resorting to cheap motels). I must say that it was a very enjoyable experience. The room we stayed in (room 2, downstairs in the main building) had comfortable beds, a flat screen TV with cable, a dresser with drawers, a microwave, fridge, and bathroom. It has a very home-y feel to it. And Rebecca, the owner and sole employee of the establishment, was very nice and the room was always tided up by the time we returned in the afternoon. If you are looking for a quiet, nice place to stay in the Outer Banks that's away from the busy roads of Nags Head but only a few minutes away, then I highly suggest looking into this place! Next time I head out that way I will definitely be booking a room at Scarborough Inn!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Scarborough Inn? Share your experiences!