“Great place with breakfast all day long” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Nags Head, North Carolina
“Great place with breakfast all day long”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Living in Nags Head, we frequent this place at least once a week. This isn't for anyone looking for romantic ambiance or fine wines. It's a small, family run, down to earth place that locals go. While it's a favorite for locals, you won't feel out of place it you aren't. The prices can't be beat, the waitresses are friendly, attentive and even take time to see how things are going. They have daily specials running from ham and cabbage to seafood platters to gator tail. They get most of their food locally, especially the seafood. The salad bar doesn't come out of a bag, the veggies and eggs are fresh. I have never had a bad salad there, in fact I've never had anything I didn't like. You can get a baked potato any time of the day and if you want bacon on it - you get real, fried bacon - not bacon bits. Their ribeyes are wonderful and there is always plenty of food. All food is cooked to order. If you want fried chicken - you're gonna have to wait about 15 minutes but it will be hot and juicy. They serve breakfast all day and the coffee is always fresh. The omelets are wonderful and eggs are always cooked to order. I am in love with the ribeye sandwhich, which isn't on the menu but a lunch special on occassion - no matter, I can get it any time I want. Their corn fritters are to die for! Either TL or his son Bryan (Brian) are almost always there and working either in the kitchen or on the floor. Yes - it gets really busy at breakfast and lunch but why is that a bad thing? If you want or need something - all you have to do is stop any of the waitresses and they will get it for you quick and in a hurry. Around 3ish in the afternoon, the front 2 tables fill with fishing and retired local that come in for coffee and gossip! In all the time we have been going to TL's, I have only had one bad experience and it was noticed by TL immediately and taken care of right then. You will never leave there unsatisfied - I almost always have leftovers and don't forget to try their desserts. My favorite is a turtle cheesecake but they have sweet potato pie, lemon, coconut, chocolate, chocolate silk and pecan. Some times there is an awesome home made coconut or pineapple cake. Better be quick - cuz they will go FAST!

Bottom line, this isn't a fancy place at all but clean and friendly. It's an old fast food building that was made into a restaurant. The bathrooms are small, but always clean. Specials are posted on chalk boards. Lunch specials start around 5.95 and dinner from 6.95 and up. The two of us always leave full with dessert to go and it normally spend from 15 to 25$. Not bad at all for eating on the beach! When you leave, they'll be happy to send you off with a to go cup filled with your beverage.

You can't beat the prices, you can't beat the food and you can't beat the service. Just plan your timing to avoid the breakfast and lunch rush and you won't have to wait at all. I have no personal investment in this place - it's just my favorite place to eat on the OBX, the locals love it!

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manteo, North Carolina
“Get the feel of the LOCAL CHARM and good value,good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I realize this place does not appeal to the more SNOOTY crowd as one of the reviewers confirmed.But if you like to go to a family owned,down to earth REAL people diner,this is for you!Once you are a regular you are treated with great respect.The waitresses are very conscious to helping find better deals in ways to order that will help you spend less money.WHO,besides rich snooty snobs who in which money is no OBJECT can complain about saving a dollar or two?Most of TL's menu is a good value,especially compared to the big fancy restaurants on the beach.So,if you want the ROYAL treatment,I recommend you go to Owens Restaurant or Kelly's up the beach,but if down home food and local color,good food at a good price is what you're looking for,then TL's in manteo is for you!And YES,you "MAY SEAT YOURSELF"!

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good diner food, friendly service, good prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

Waitress was extremely attentive and friendly. I only ordered two eggs and toast, but the total was around 3.50. It came out very fast and just as I ordered.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenville
“HORRIBLE FOOD AND EVEN WORSE STAFF”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My fiance' and I including our two small children were on vacation on the OBX and were staying in Nags Head NC at a beach condo. We had a family friend that lived in the area recommend TLS. So we decided to try it out. We got there about 8 am on a tuesday morning. First of all when we walked in the door no one greeted us and we stood there for atleast fifteen to twenty minutes, as other people were walking in and just puttin it upon thereselves to sit where ever they pleased, untill finally we asked one of the waitresses if we could be seated and she briefly told us to just sit where ever we wanted to sit and then walked away. So like everyone else we found a table and sat down, and
it took atleast 20 minutes for us to even get a menu. Finally when we got our menus and hadnt got our drinks yet and waited another 10 minutes for our waitress to come back to get our drink orders. As we were trying to give her our orders she, which we later came to find out her name was debbie, kept insisting on us switching our orders around, such as I wanted country ham, 2 egss, bacon, and grits and my son wanted 2 pancakes, and she would insist on me just adding my side of bacon to my sons order of pancakes because it would be cheaper to add the bacon to the pancakes rather than ordering it as just a side, which was nice but that is not what i wanted, as i was not worried about the bill. My children are toddlers and you know how kids can be picky as to what they eat, and my kids would not eat there pancakes because not only were there bits of burnt bacon and grease in the pancakes but also they were saying that their pancakes tasted like onions. I also ordered hashbrowns and all it was, was chunks of chopped up cubes of fried potatoes, which were soggy because they were filled with grease, and to me that is not what you would consider to be hashbrowns. Not only was the food barely mediocre, but we were sitting at a table close to the bar area, and we could over hear the other waitress behind the bar disrespectfully talking about theire co-workers and also some of their cusomers, which was indeed VERY rude. It was more like eating in a middle school cafeteria, rather than dining in a restaurant. All in all, the prices were reasonable, but not worth it and the staff seemed to be very rude. I will defnitely not be going back to eat there not will i EVER recomment TL's to anyone. If i were to recommend going to a restaurant to eat, I would recommend Grits Grill. Their staff was wonderful and the food was great!

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Berlin, Wisconsin
“breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Spouse and I both had the breakfast bowl which is a biscuit topped with grits, topped with crisp bacon and sausage, topped with cheese, topped with eggs prepared however you like. This was suprisingly good and filling. Service good with plenty of coffee.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere