“If you don't want to eat it can't be beat” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 30 Restaurants in Manteo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Description: The past is back! Big Al's Soda Fountain & Grill serves up authentic American fare in a retro 50's fun dining atmosphere. Restaurant features soda fountain counter, juke box, dance floor, game room/arcade, one of the largest Coca-Cola memorabilia collections in the country, fresh never-frozen USDA certified Prime Angus burgers, home made desserts, 50's inspired gift-shop and blue-plate specials. New owners have recently updated the restaurant from top to bottom with a focus on a quality dining experience with all the good flavors of the era.
“If you don't want to eat it can't be beat”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

If you like Coca-Cola Collectibles it is fun to see everything but if you are looking to actually eat don't go in hungry. We were seated right away then sat and sat and sat and sat. Now remember this is November off sesson hardly anyone there. Plenty of wait staff just none of them interested in waiting on us. We couldn't even get drinks. It was like we had the invisible table. We finally just gave up and left. The cashier never even looked up as we walked out. So left and went somewhere that cared about the business of customers

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Derrick C, General Manager at Big Al's Restaurant and Grill, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Please accept our humblest of apologies for your experience at Big Al's. We're happy you enjoyed the environment and I would like to assure you that your experience was atypical of our business. The food and service match the environment and we'd love the opportunity to make this experience up to you.

virginia
“Has the feel of an old fashioned diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved this place! The food (sandwiches) were good, and there was not a long wait. I loved how it was decorated to look like the 1950's. My husband was less impressed with the food, but I would definitely visit here again. My three kids loved it, too!

Visited July 2012
Brookville, Ohio
“Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stopped here for lunch between visiting the gardens and aquarium. Fun diner type place, nostalgic, good music playing and the food we had was good! We had great service, no wait and the food came out fast. I asked a question about the meatloaf and the waitress went and got me some to try to see if I wanted to order it. I actually had a chicken caeser salad and hush puppies, my hubbie had bleu cheese burger and sweet potato fries. Both were very tasty, and I must say that the hush puppies were some of the best I have had anywhere! Not the healthiest food around, but for a splurge meal it is great!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scarbro, West Virginia
“Big Al's Delivers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was a cool September evening and I was in Manteo looking for a car battery. Where to eat? Not a lot to choose from, so I picked the restaurant with the biggest sign--Big Al's Restaurant and Grill. It is close to state route 64 and there were a few cars in the parking lot when we pulled in at around 8:15 p.m.

The waitress was friendly and there was only one other group in the restaurant. We really enjoyed the music playing on the juke box (not enough of these anymore!), along with all of the nostalgic Coca-Cola advertising displays and local photos.

I ordered the tuna melt and it was grilled to perfection. Really, really a great sandwich. The onion rings were tasty, too. My sister ordered the bar-b-que and it, too, was delicious. We both had chocolate malts as well. Can't even remember when I had one the last time. Very good with a slight taste of malted milk balls.

My only disappointment was that they did not offer Coca-Cola cake on the dessert menu. This would have been the perfect ending to a great meal. They do have Mr. Pibb cake (I believe that is what it is called), but we were not willing to try it--completely sold on Coca-Cola cake.

The two couples at the other table finished their meal and took a turn on the dance floor before leaving. That was cool--told you the music was kickin'!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville
“Ok food, really bad service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Had to wait a really long time and finally flagged someone down just to get waited on. Waited almost as long for the food, which was OK but nothing fantastic. Not wasting my time here again.

• Visited September 2012