“Quaint & clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tranquil House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
Tranquil House Inn
You added Tranquil House Inn to your Saves list
405 Queen Elizabeth Ave, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Manteo B&B and Inns
Hawai'i
“Quaint & clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Boy, it was difficult trying to find a hotel in this area. Reviews are very limited on Yelp, and I totally forgot about Trip Advisor. We ended up here on recommendation by extended family, whose family is local.

ATMOSPHERE:
It definitely fits the name, with its wood floors throughout, non-sound-deadening construction, quaintness, charm, and views. This 25-unit inn is tucked behind a quiet residential street and also borders some local restaurants & shops and is right on the water. A boardwalk connects the pier as well as neighboring inns and businesses.

ARRIVAL:
We drove from Philly and arrived at 3:00am. We pre-arranged a rate for the partial night's stay. A simple call to the person-on-duty brought her out of bed to check us in.

ROOMS:
Because of our schedule and I guess the hotel's, we were in 3 different rooms each night. All of the rooms were clean. Yes they're older looking, but clean & up-kept is what matters to us. It's not a dive by any means. The TV's are old meaning not flat paneled. The air conditioning units are strong & cool. The windows are covered with vinyl shutters which are great for blocking out the early morning sun, and to me are cleaner than drapery.

As far as the bed quality, all 3 rooms differed, from sagging and springy on our first 2 nights, to newer & more firm on our 3rd. Nothing far from uncomfortable though. The bed was actually more comfortable than some of the major hotel brands we stayed at during our 26 day vacation! And the pillows were great, meaning firm. I loathe those soft worthless ones.

There's free Wi-Fi, but a bit spotty. No biggie as AT&T has great reception.

BATHROOMS:
All 3 were the same, 1 sink and shower/tub, and hair dryer. But the tub filler doesn't come on, and there's no drain stopper. Possibly to discourage baths? Water pressure was good and drainage was quick.

FRONT DESK:
All the ladies who we interacted with were very friendly.

PARKING:
It's free! Where are you going to get that perk nowadays?!

HOUSEKEEPING:
On the day we had to relocate to the room next door, the housekeeper knocks on the door regardless of the DND sign. Not a big deal as we were up already.

CHECK OUT:
Stopped at the front desk to return the keys and for a receipt. All's well that ends well!

OVERALL:
We'd stay here again. The rate was reasonable for the room quality. But I doubt we'll be in this neck of the woods again.

Room Tip: Call direct to book. Leave a message and they will call back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Inn for two nights. The location was great and the area around the Inn were beautiful. I loved to boardwalk just outside the Inn that went by some docks and some shopping. The room was lovely and not small at all. The bathroom was a bit small and lacking the necessary counter space for the number of people staying in the room. Breakfast was lovely. The eating area is small as well as the serving area, but those are minor details. The owners have done a great job with what they have. Most of the staff that we encountered seemed happy to answer any and all questions. If I were to ever find myself back in the area I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My friends and I had a great time experiencing the amenities of this lovely inn right in Manteo, N.C. ('Lost Colony'). The staff was friendly and helpful; the price was much better than hotels on the beaches further up the Outer Banks; rooms were not full of sand AND quiet; nice wine-and-cheese hour on the deck overlooking the harbor; lovely breakfast was included as it is a B&B; and afforded easy access to the Elizabethan Gardens (where we had 'Tea with the Queen') and to the famous outdoor drama, 'The Lost Colony'. They also have a restaurant but time didn't permit us to try that out--talked to some of the locals, though, and it has a good reputation for fine food--also close proximity to shopping in quaint stores in Manteo. Put this little jewel in your travel folder!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a third floor king suite and enjoyed the "tranquility" of the waterside inn. This the second time we have stayed here and would do so again. The continental breakfast is complete and is followed with cookies afternoon and a wine and cheese buffet from 5 to 7 p.m. Proximity to the docks and a view of the sailboats provides a welcome respite from the hustle of the Outer Banks sun and surf. The staff is welcoming and the deck is great for enjoying the sunrise and morning coffee. The Inn no longer offers bicycles, but there is plenty to explore on foot at Manteo and there are other places for bike rentals in Roanoke Island.

Room Tip: Suites on upper floors are spacious. No. 32, where we stayed, is reverently referred to as the Richa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I enjoyed my stay, overall. Nice, comfortable room and attentive staff. Dinner at the restaurant at the B&B was also great. It was made better by the front desk clerk making the reservation for me at check-in and then letting me know to show the waiter my confirmation for "The Lost Colony" play that night, which meant 20% off my dinner bill (although I did have to remind the waiter of that). For me, the only down side was the breakfast the next morning. I expected more than cereal, rolls and fruit for the price of the room. Also, breakfast ended at 9:30 a.m. sharp on a Sunday, including coffee service. Since there was no coffee pot in the room, I ended up going to a local bistro for my second cup. (To be fair, the front desk clerk offered to make a pot of coffee for me, but I had no time to wait.)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 29, which is a corner room with a street view. It was quiet and sunny.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Whitby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night after driving through the outer banks. It is a great location if you want to stay near the outer banks. It is only 10 minutes over the bridge to the island. The inn itself is located right in downtown manteo so you can walk to all the nearby shops and restaurants.

The inn is on the pricier side, but so are all of the other properties. It is a really neat set up - all the rooms have doors to outside hallway so it is very private. We stayed in room 29 which was i feel the BEST street view room. you have your own little private balcony outside your door with 2 lounge chairs that face the sunset (so you can enjoy your wine and cheese here which they offer in the evening) plus it is a corner room so alot of big windows!!!

the wine and cheese was good, lots of cheese to choose from they had a white wine and a rose wine. they have this LOVELY large deck at the back of the inn with lots of chairs to sit on it overlooks the harbour which is beautiful. the breakfast was alright, the coffee however was incredible!!! so good!! but otherwise it was just primarily cold food, they did have little breakfast sandwiches you could heat up.

if your looking for a classy cute place to stay i would recommend here. it would be really nice as a romantic stay. they have a bistro in the inn but it looked on the pricier end. We ate at Ortegaz which is featured on diners, drive-ins and dives! there is a great little bar next door which we did trivia at.

Room Tip: it is cheaper for a street view, we had room 29 it was a corner room and it was PERFECT! there is re...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We celebrated our 49th anniversary hear for the first time and it was a delightful experience.
The Inn has a small Quaint Harbor with Boat Docks at water-side, along with adjacent wooden walking bridge over the water. A Delightful view from the 2nd floor deck. The staff is attentive and very accommodating. They even gave us a complimentary bottle of tasty Champagne for our anniversary. We highly recommend this Inn to anyone who likes romance and the outter banks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tranquil House Inn? Share your experiences!