“We keep coming back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manteo
The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
319 Sir Walter Raleigh Street, Manteo, NC 27954   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Manteo B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“We keep coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon here in 2006. We had such a nice time we've come back every year since then on (or near) our anniversary, for a total of 7 stays now. We travel a lot but there is something special about this place. It is only 3 hours from our home in Raleigh but it feels much farther -- it is just so peaceful! We have come to look forward to it as an escape from our hectic lives. The owners Bob and Bebe and their staff are very welcoming and the food is great. The breakfasts are huge and they put out delicious baked goods each afternoon. Coffee, tea and drinks are available all day (my husband loves the coffee machine; he enjoys being able to get a coffee or espresso whenever he feels like it). There is a lot to see and do in Manteo and on the Outer Banks, but some years we just relax in the garden or on a porch somewhere and do nothing. We have stayed in most of the rooms, and we have liked them all; each has something special. This is a great place to just get away from it all, as a stopover on a visit to the Outer Banks, or for a wedding/honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I returned to this B&B for a romantic getaway and thoroughly enjoyed the experiance. Though I must admit, last time I stayed I had a room with a whirlpool so I was spoiled. The room we stayed in this time (the turrett) was spacious and the bathroom was nicely appointed, despite only having a shower. This room had a beautiful balcony which was enjoyable when the air began to cool in the evenings. The only problems I found, were there was no dvd player in the room, so the large dvd collection we were unable to enjoy during the scattered showers that occured during our stay. Also, I could of overlooked it, but I could not find a thermostat for the room. This particular room got hot at night for whatever reason, during the heat of the day it was fine though!

Breakfast was deliscious and filling but nothing to right home about- fruit, eggs, bacon. I think probably because it was a full house. Last time I went the breakfasts were devine.

The staff catered to our needs very well. We had ordered a tray of cheeses and fruits but were unable to enjoy it because my boyfriend began to get sick. They were willing to wrap it up, so we could take it on our return trip home.

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge and get a room with the whirlpool, I highly suggest the Virginia Dare.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 2 years ago during the month of October. I never got to leave a review but I have always wanted to let everyone know just how wonderful it was.
We got there and were greated by a big yellow friendly cat. Opened the front door and was sent to a world of Victorian elegance. The parlors and dining room was decorated with such beauty. We met Bebe and Bob Woodey the owners, very nice and inviting.
My husband and I spent the next few days exploring the Outer Banks light houses and watching the wild ponies. We traveled all the way to Okracoke to the Virginia line.
The days were overcast but on one particular day they let us use the B&B's bikes and road around the quaint little town.
The evenings were spent rocking on the front porch chairs, while the twinkling lights lit up the vines growing about the pourch. We've talk about our trip so much we are wanting to return one day. This place will always give us fond memeories.
Thank you for a wonderful time.
Glenda and Dale

Room Tip: We stayed in the room on the third floor if you have bad knees you may want to stay on the first flo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

From our recent trip to Virginia after staying at 5 hotel/b&bs in total the White Doe Inn came out as the favourite. We were all made so welcome, the breakfasts were excellent ( one of our party has a food dislike and she was well catered for). The room (turret room) was spacious, clean and the balcony perfect for relaxing after a hard day touring the Outer Banks area. We especially liked all the garden areas and the outdoor terrace where breakfast is served (weather permitting)
Thanks for 'wonderful' stay.
Sue Andrew Pete and Mary.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Smyrna, Delaware, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Gorgeous b&b and the owners were very nice. Food was delicious. My only complaint was the cockroach I saw crawling across our bedroom wall. :(

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
whitedoeinn, Owner at The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
First let us express our apology for this unpleasant experience. The "cockroach" is in fact what is known as a "Palmetto Bug" and when we get a lot of rain they often drop from the trees and get into structures in coastal areas. We do have a monthly pest treatment program; however, doing the best we can do these pesky critters still occasionally still pay us a visit. It is often helpful to let your innkeeper know so that they can call in the pest control company to do an interium treatment. We have contacted them and they will be arriving this week.

Thank you for the lovely comments reg arding the inn. We hope that this will not deter you from returning to The White Doe Inn.
Copper Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were in the area on business and the White Doe made the trip feel like it was a vacation. We stayed in the East Lake room. Fireplace, nice big tub that my wife loved and a very nice balcony. The other rooms we saw were very nice as well. Within walking distance of a number of shops and restaurants. The breakfast was very good and we enjoyed it every morning we were there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

If you are reading this because you have never stayed at a B&B before, wait no longer. We have stayed at a number of establishments in the past several years, six in the past five weeks alone, and this would be in contention for the #1 spot. While a little weathered on the outside, the wind and salt air on the Outer Banks would be to blame, not shoddy upkeep, the inside is tasteful and immaculate, the staff pleasant and efficient. We stayed in the Virginia Dare room for two nights and believe me when I say that we didn't want to leave. It is lovely and the photos on the website really don't do it justice. The bed is wonderfully comfortable with excellent linens, there is plenty of room and comfy seating, with space to place your belongings - often rooms can be short on surfaces, but not this one. It was very cozy without being the least bit cramped. Wonderful balcony with seating to enjoy the warm spring afternoon sunshine. The view is nothing great but a perfect place to enjoy the sparkling wine (nice quality, too) and truffles that were provided by the innkeeper, Bebe, upon our arrival in a silver ice bucket, a marvelous touch. The bathroom is fabulous and bright - many windows but nicely shuttered, a fantastic soaking tub with a surround shower curtain to go with the rain showerhead, excellent toiletries and an abundance of towels and robes. There were goodies available in the afternoon through the evening - homemade sweets, coffee, pop. Wine(at reasonable prices) and wine glasses if you desire. The common rooms were comfortable and well decorated. Lots of magazines, books and a reasonable selection of dvd's as well as a CD player in the room. These folks have thought of just about everything. It was great fun to take a whirl on the wooden tree swing and I'm sure the porch and outdoor breakfast would be lovely if temperatures permitted. My only comment would be that the breakfast was a little disappointing to us despite others' rave reviews but that could just be a matter of personal preference. The "dessert" course was a nice touch. This is definitely a property that I would return to again. Restaurant recommendations were bang on,too. If you haven't taken the B&B plunge, I highly recommend you do; I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed. The only problem is, many other establishments will have a long way to go to reach the bar set by the White Doe Inn. I think we will be making this comparison for a long time to come!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Doe Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!