“Lost expectations” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast

Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellfleet
Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast
You added Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Old King's Hwy, Wellfleet, MA 02667   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Wellfleet B&B and Inns
Ridgefield, CT USA
“Lost expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Both my husband and I love Cape Cod and try to visit it every year. Unfortunately, our old inn-keeper closed her business, so we had to look for a different place to stay this summer, July 29th-Aug.2d. After browsing through the names and comments I decided on Chez Sven in Wellfleet. $200 a night, Green room, check for 4 nights in Alexandra Grabbe's name was sent forward,- avanti!

We almost broke the muffler on the dirt road to the house, but had much fun jumping in the air instead. Vacation time it was! The Green room was dark and small for the two of us: there was just one arm-chair to sit, so if I wanted to read and had SOME light I had to do it on the bed. I didn't like dirty windows but the fresh flowers on the table next to the bed was a better object to see. There was no lock in the door, so there was no need to worry about the key. A small green-black-white-tile-decorated bathroom was separated from the room by a pocket door, and had nowhere to keep the usual toiletries, so they were placed on the floor, next to the black radiator. The tub itself probably didn't remember the last time it was properly cleaned, and a cheap liner without a traditional curtain couldn't hide it. The towel set of black and beige was incomplete but I hoped it would at least be replaced and the room be cleaned. Never happened. Nor was the room ever vacuumed. Both the room and the bathroom had a fan, but no AC, which is a disaster this summer. It was always foggy in the bathroom and hot and musty in the room.

Organic granola with a tiny bit of yogurt was served along with buns from the local bakery for 4 breakfasts in a row. There was never enough coffee for 4 adults. Nothing was offered when I never touched a shop-baked muffin or didn't eat the granola. One flavor of tea was available.

But the sun-sets at Duck Harbor are still the best! And yes, we love Cape Cod.Just will have better luck next time..

Room Tip: sorry, I can't recommend it for any traveler...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandra G, Owner at Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
I am very sorry the reviewer did not appreciate our Green Room. She neglected to say that I had Lyme disease over the summer. If she had read the write-up on our Web site, she would have known to expect non-GMO granola, fresh organic fruit, organic yogurt, and baked goods for breakfast. I happen to remember this couple served themselves copiously, so I do not understand her comment about the “tiny bit of yogurt.” Actually, everyone at the table had seemed to enjoy the Flying Fish bakery items on the second day, so I had fetched sticky buns for everyone on the last day, since that was the item I heard complimented. I always make more coffee if guests request more. We also have multiple flavors of tea. It is simple to ask. She didn’t. Instead she preferred to announce she always has smoothies made with fruit and ginger for breakfast at home, as if to see whether I could cater to that request. She also told me four times she is a regular contributor to Trip Advisor, so I was expecting this negative review but could not respond until our return from vacation.

Here at Chez Sven, we treat guests like family. I am the manager/owner. Our three-bedroom B&B is not a hotel. We expect people to make their own beds. There is no key to the Green Room door, but we provide privacy by shutting the pocket door to our part of the house. I usually do not enter the bedroom once a guest has taken possession, unless asked to do so.

We thoroughly clean the bathtub before all new guests arrive, so that comment is really a cheap shot. Had she told me that she found the bathroom fogged up from showers, I would have suggested she open the large skylight above the bathtub.

The dirt road is part of the charm of this part of Wellfleet. It is a scenic road, preserved for all time.

We are a green B&B, so no AC. Fans, instead. The Green Room has four windows. What this Trip Advisor reporter refers to as “a cheap liner” is actually a non-toxic shower curtain from Snow’s Department Store in Orleans. I am not sure what she means about “the towel set” being incomplete. We provide two large bath towels, one hand towel, and washcloths. In summer, guests can hang the towels outside on the line if they so desire or ask me to put them in the drier. I keep additional towels in the Green Room chest of drawers. Did she look? Apparently not.

I happen to remember that I cleaned the windows the week before. Sven and I had booked the whole B&B to a family from Europe for the following three weeks, so I know when I cleaned what. I had to pace myself because of the Lyme disease. The windows were not dirty.

As stated above, I was recovering from a serious ailment, so was not able to be as social as usual. I don’t think this guest liked that either, although she did say she was familiar with Lyme, living in CT. Oh. She forgot to mention that here, didn’t she?

I wouldn’t have minded someone pointing out we need to repaint the bathroom. That would have been a legitimate concern. Upon our return from Sweden, I discovered paint flaking from the steam that was not allowed to escape through an opened skylight.

It is really a shame some travelers get off on writing negative reviews here at Trip Advisor.

I hope future guests will take our other positive reviews into account and visit our Web site where I have copied out guestbook comments from nine years of successful innkeeping.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed in the smaller room (with the twin bed) of the Liberty Coin Suite at Chez Sven in late June. I was in Wellfleet for a poetry intensive, and Chez Sven was an ideal setting for reflection and writing following my morning classes. Alexandra was extremely accommodating when it came to making the stay comfortable, pointing out local spots to explore, and providing a generous breakfast each morning. She made French toast twice after asking about my preferences--a very nice touch! It was also great to connect with her about writing and her experiences living abroad. Being in the company of kindred spirits is always part of the fun of staying at a B&B, and Chez Sven more than delivers on that.

Room Tip: Keep your window open at night, and you'll enjoy the sweet wake-up call from the birds in the mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The owners of Chez Sven know exactly how to create a private haven and perfectly appointed rooms. Don't count on having a living room space to hang out in with other guests. Rather, enjoy the beauty of your room or suite and the lovely gardens. Quick drive or bike ride to the ocean, ponds, bay and downtown. Perfect for those "washashores" who have established routines and favorites, but also great for newbies: owner Alexandra has written about Wellfleet and can advise in detail.

Room Tip: the General's Green room is just right for those who want to dine out, but have a small fridge f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Suffolk UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

What a fantastic spot to stay for the last leg of our first trip to the USA. Having spent 8 days in the busy cities of New York and Boston it was amazing to arrive at Chez Sven. The setting in the woods was just perfect for a 6 day stay. We had booked the Liberty Coin Suite and the extra downstairs room so our two teenages had a bedroom each. The beauty of staying in a B & B is that you are in someones home so it is lovely to be among their paintings,books and furnishings. Everywhere was clean and tidy and very comfortable. Sandy greeted us on arrival with maps and lots of information to make our trip a good one including the local ponds, places to eat and sandy beaches that went for miles. We were able to get a parking permit for the local beaches as previously mentioned. The breakfasts were great a choice of three times were offered and each morning fresh fruit, yoghurt and granola accompanied by fresh baked products, all delicious. Sandy provided chocolate milk for my daughter and even packed up warm scones for our journey as the children hadn't eaten them at breakfast on our last day! If you get the chance ask Sandy about her amazing family history. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return, Sven and Sandy are great hosts, nothing is too much trouble. Staying in a B & B like Chez Sven adds something special to a holiday and you get a real sense of what it is like to live in Wellfleet.

Room Tip: Liberty coin suite great if you have children with you
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This time, I brought my college-age daughters, who, as I anticipated, fell in love with Chez Sven, Sandy and Sven. Staying here provides a quiet secluded refuge after the summer scene in Wellfleet. Every little touch makes me feel relaxed -- the lavender sachet, the breakfast table set outside, and the new roses out front.

Room Tip: Each room/suite is different, so make sure you understand which is which, especially because one sui...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Whately, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

What a great visit to the Cape! We were both stressed out and needed a break, and we found Chez Sven when we were randomly searching Bed & Breakfasts on-line. We stayed in the Green Room, as the other rooms were booked solid pretty much right through the summer. The B&B is lovely, nestled in the scrub woods off of Route 6. Far enough away from the traffic so that you do not hear the noise, but so conveniently located as to make visits to the beach and Wellfleet center very easy and quick. If you get a beach pass for your car you can visit any number of beaches in the area for a very reasonable price. Ask Alexandra & Sven how to get one before you arrive or when you get there.
The room was lovely, the bed was super comfortable with very soft sheets & quilt, lots of pillows to choose from and extra blankets in the room if you need one in the night. They have a great selection of books if you forgot yours. The room was very private with it's own entrance and parking spot. Breakfast was fantastic, with all organic produce & granola. Yogurt with mixed fruits, blueberry juice, freshly baked scones, lovely dishes, silver spoons, and truly some amazing coffee. If you are like us, and fear watered down weak coffee, you do not have to worry about it at Chez Sven! The coffee is robust, full, rich and lively. I cannot remember who Alexandra said she gets the coffee from, but it was fair-trade and organic. Really excellent and freshly ground each morning.
Someone else in a review had some complaints about worn furnishings, and the lived in kitchen & sitting room.... I beg to differ in our opinion here. It didn't seem to me that anything was worn or in disrepair at all. Our rooms felt fresh and clean and airy, the carpet was a lovely pastel green with other pastel patterns and didn't look worn out to me at all. There is a nostalgic feel, sentimental with antique silverware, carved wooden egrets, but still there is a modern clean feel. The kitchen is warm and inviting, and was clean and tidy when we had to have our breakfast inside one morning due to rain. Alexandra was gracious and very attentive to our needs, and we had great conversations with her during breakfast. She is very concerned for the environment and champions her causes without being preachy, more in a factual manner. This concern translates into the way she operates her B&B and cares for her guests, using natural cleaning products and offering organic local produce. We were very appreciative of her care and knowledge about being "green". I have a slight chemical sensitivity, especially to strong perfumes and cleaning agents. I did not have any issues at all with sheets, towels, soap, or anything I came in contact with at the B&B. I know this is an important issues for many people, so you can be pretty sure that you will not be affected by any cleaning agents that are noxious. Although I'm sure that depends on your level of sensitivity!
Anyway, to sum this up before I write a novel, Chez Sven is an excellent choice, we have already booked the Seagull suite for September!! See you there,
Best,
Briana & Jeff
(Thank you Alexandra! & we can't wait to meet Sven in September)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed at Chez Sven on an impulse. They'd had a cancellation on a holiday weekend. I needed a break. So I committed and made the drive. I'm so glad I did. The B&B is in a great, quiet location. The gardens are beautiful. The grounds serene and calming. Sandy and Sven are the most hospitable B&B owners I've ever met--and I've met many. Sven even entertained my young daughter by pretending to be different monsters, getting her to laugh non stop. I thought Sandy and Sven were graciously accommodating. One other couple who was staying there made special requests for the breakfast, and Sandy made it happen. I personally love the green nature of the B&B. It's nice to stay in a place that I know is not harmful to the planet. Everything served at breakfast was fresh, organic and local. Only non toxic cleansers and shampoos are offered in the rooms--and most if not all are made locally. The B&B is about a 3-5 minute drive from an ocean beach and within walking distance of a pond that one can swim in. I can't think of a better place to stay. I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Chez Sven Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!