“Wellfleet Camping near the Beachcomber” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paine's Campground

Paine's Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellfleet
Paine's Campground
You added Paine's Campground to your Saves list
180 Old Kings Hwy, PO Box 944, Wellfleet, MA 02667   |
Hingham, Massachusetts
“Wellfleet Camping near the Beachcomber”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting Paine's Campground for about five years. We always come back because it is as good as camping can realistically be on Cape Cod. The grounds are very well kept and clean. The restrooms and showers are perfectly clean. The owners and staff obviously care about their guests well being. We stay in the couples area, which is the more quiet of the clusters of sites. We have never had an issue with other campers being too late or too noisy. Other reviewers have mentioned that $45 a night is high...it is, no doubt, but this is prime Cape Cod, where a typical hotel/motel room in season would run you anywhere from $140 to $500. The campground is easy to find, easy to check in, easy to locate your site, easy to shower, buy firewood, etc. There is a really nice and mellow Chocolate Lab wandering around the office area, so be sure to say hi. She loves having her belly rubbed. No other pets allowed which stinks, but thats the way it goes. I was pleased that the trash area is set up for recycling. If camping is your thing, and you love the Cape like we do, especially the world famous Beachcomber and Cahoon Hollow Beach, which are within biking distance, I encourage a visit and stay at Paine's.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet, more secluded site, do not choose F or G in the quiet area. They ar...

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The owner is VERY RUDE. My bf and I decided to stay at the campground to save some money on hotels during the 4th of July holiday. We got there on Monday afternoon (July 1st ), where the woman was “at lunch” so we came back in an hour or so. Not a big deal at all. She was very nice to us, letting us choose between a few sites. I asked her about the visitor policy specifically because my mom and dad would be in the cape and wanted to grill dinner with us. She said it was not a problem, as long as they checked in… they could drive down to our site.
They came early (like 3:30 pm Tuesday) got a pass and came in (We made sure we moved everything around so their car would fit perfectly inside our area). We went out to show them around different parts of the cape and when we got back (7:00pm) my parents were not allowed to drive down to the campsite anymore. I guess the owner decided to change the rules and thus be very inconsistent. I confronted her and she was very snooty and condescending saying, “she wasn’t “discriminating, they can’t have 2 cars at a site.”.. uhm was she hinting that she was? (My mom has a European accent). Whatever. My parents stayed at their hotel and left next afternoon and the rest of the week I noticed 2 cars (1 visitor) at numerous sites, including the site right next to us (RUDE)…so basically if you have an accent or like to be treated equally… DON’T expect to enjoy your stay here!
Oh and fire wood is 7 bucks if not more, and EVERY SINGLE TIME we tried to buy that or ice, the girl at the desk was on the phone and we had to wait wait wait.
*Cleanup crew… I give them a lot of credit. They did a great job with the main bathroom.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently stayed here for 4 nights during the 4th of July weekend. We decided to camp only to bring the cost down from staying in a hotel. I believe our rate was $45 a night. Still a lot for camping in my opinion, but for being on the Cape, still a good low-cost option. We were in the "quiet couples" area, which is pretty nice, fairly secluded, and in deed relatively quiet. Our campsite was pretty much suited for a 2-person tent. Enough room to park the car, set up a tent, and have a little space around the picnic table and campfire ring, which are at every site. The campfire ring is a nice touch as it's the only campground I could find on the outer cape that allowed campfires. Note you do need to buy wood ($7 I think?) from them, cannot bring it in or search for it yourself at the site, and they only provide large wood, no kindling, so bring your own fire starter or buy it from the campground for $2. The main bathhouse was a very short walk from our site. Facilities are pretty clean, especially when you consider that you are camping after all! Sinks, flush toilets, showers require a quarter per 1 minute of hot water (yes, still need to pay for cold showers too). So bring lots of quarters. The staff when checking in was very friendly and helpful. She gave us some tips as to the local area, beaches, food, etc. If we decided on camping in this location again, we'd return to the campsite, and would recommend it to others.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

If you love Nature, camping out, roasting marshmallows on an open fire and being within walking distance to one of Wellfleet's nicest kettle ponds you should definitely check out Paines! Even though my last name isn't Paine I always feel like family when camping here. I've camped from CA, NV, NH, ME, etc. Paines is #1 in my book. The Cape Cod woods in the summer?! Yes please!

• Stayed July 2013
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I'd like to give this a better rating but, well, I have to wonder. What part of motorcycles with "cut" pipes (rattle glass at 1/4 mile) is synonymous with "quiet"?
The owners are very vigiliant about some things, proably for the best. But they let in a motorcycle that had cut pipes which, as you probably have heard, are not quiet. They also allowed people to check in at 10PM or so... complete with idling engines (for headlights), and the usual banging and loud talk. Yes, these sites are farily close to each other...which comes with the territory but it also means management doing their job.

Some other details, that at 40. per night should be automatic. More than 2 hooks for multiple sinks in wash up area. A place for you to put down your bar of soap at a bathroom sink.. common sense right... nope.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

The first time we camped at Paine's was in 2000. They even remembered we had moved campsites that time. We enjoyed it so much that when we returned to Wellfleet in 2012 we thought we would try them again.
This time we stayed in a couples quiet area. This section is for pure outdoors lovers. They even restrict radio in this area so it is just you and nature sounds: Excellent. There were other areas for people with children and others without noise restrictions. They do control late night partying and do not allow all night fires. They do allow controlled fires and grills which is not common on the cape, because of the chance of forest fires in the national forest. Very safe.
Great mix of camper. Everyone we met were interesting and friendly. Location can not be beat. There is even a cape pond within easy walk of your camp site. My wife was up early every morning for an early swim. Just her and the birds with steam rising off the water that early
The people treated us nicely and were long time cape codders and therefore a great source of information for all our questions. The prices were reasonable even for wood and ice. Bathrooms were always clean and everything worked.
Even though we love luxury hotels this
will always be our first choice in Wellfleet.

• Stayed August 2012
Quaker Hill, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just came back from a weekend on The Cape and oh oh what a great time we had! We stayed at Paine's Campground and it was lovely. Pine forest, private site, lovely people around. No litter, nice bathroom. Warm clean showers for quarters-- worked out just fine! Def. would go back. Spent the day at a magnificent beach, White Crest and the night at The Beachcomber to hear a great band. Both were very close by --about 5 minutes by car. The attendant recommended The Wicked Oyster for breakfast and an omelette with avocado and goat cheese, YUMMMY! P-Town was about a 20 minute drive and of course lively and friendly. Mohitos at The Patio with $1.00 oysters, shrimp, and pork sliders! Great salads. All of the campgrounds on the Cape are $40. So that's that! Open your wallet and enjoy yourself because it is way too awesome there to complain about anything!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Paine's Campground? Share your experiences!