“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chinle
Boise, Idaho
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

The room is nice, clean, comfortable quiet. The hallway of the rear building where we stayed smelled of smoke, but the smell did not enter the room. Their kitchen was out of order, but they did set up cereals, rolls, juices, etc. in the morning. Had to enter the exercise room through a conference room and found it freezing cold in the exercise room, I couldn't even break a sweat no matter how hard I worked. But overall this was a good value.

• Liked — Clean, close to canyon
  • Disliked — Exercise room, smoky hallway
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Fountain Hills, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

Clean and modern. Staff was polite. Walls were thin, so we heard the TV next door till midnight and loose dogs barking in the back. Other than that, everything was fine. Nice stay before / during exploring the amazing canyon.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Inverness
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

I have to agree with some of the reviews posted that Chinle is not, in itself, a tourist attraction. In fact I think it is fair to say that far from being " scruffy " it is a complete dump. There is nothing whatsoever to commend it other than this hotel and especially Canyon De Chelly itself.

First the hotel. I can only say that that is an oasis in a desert. Heart sinking as we drove further and further into the abyss that is Chinle our spirits were restored when we turned into the hotel.

The reception staff on arrival were fine and our room was ready. As for its space and cleanliness these had not, in any way, been compromised. Sliding doors onto a patio area overlooking the pool were a bonus. The bathroom was a very good size and the towels were plentiful and up to the mark. The shower was hopeless however and I now know I should have mentioned this because after the first night wrestling with poor pillows I left a note for housekeeping asking for
firmer pillows. These were waitng for us on return - so full marks there.

There is nowhere to dine in Chinle other than the hotel so you have to use the restaurant. All in all the standard and quality of dining was slightly less than average and at times the level of service wavered between amateurish enthusiam and downright indifference.

There is a nice gift shop but the service there was also erratic.

Check in had been fine. Check out (by the hotel manager who was on duty) was not. He was insistant on charging me for a lunch - packed or otherwise - which we had not had. Eventually with ill grace he determined that the voucher was for breakfast which we had had that morning. The additional local taxes were a bit unexpected.

Do not let this put you off visiting the area however as the jewel in the crown is Canyon de Chelly itself. Just a few minutes up the road the canyon is stunning, magnificent and wholly evocative.

I am at a loss to know why so few white Americans visit this stupendous and wonderful area.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

After driving through Chinle and seeing how scruffy it was, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Holiday Inn was a nice, clean and modern motel. I would stay here again if needed. Was only here for a night.

Stayed September 2007
Gilbert, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2007

I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn on my recent Canyon De Chelly trip.

My purpose there was for creative business. I found the hotel to be among the best I have stayed in on the Navajo Nation (there have been others). The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. All the amenities that I regularly use were there, and the staff members were friendly and helpful to the best of their ability. The one down side was a guide that I hired to take my 4x4 into the canyon. He was a self proclaimed musician and film-maker. I agreed to buy his CD only to be very disappointed by the quality of the production, musicianship, effects, editing and mixing. I think this fellow thought a great deal more of his music than most who are not so subtly asked to buy it! I can only hope his DVD is of better quality than his CD. This was only a minor issue, as his guiding was poor, he constantly talked about wanting to get home to "look on the internet" and how hungry he was. This man could do well to study the traditions of the Swiss mountain guides (famous throughout the world for their excellence). At the Antelope House ruins, I had to inform him that I was ready to go as he was busy having a snack and chatting with his friends who run the overpriced concession there. We went on to the White House ruins, where one of his friends rudely corrected my Navajo. All the time that this guide was with me, he expressed how much of a hurry he was in to get back "to check the internet." None of this was enough to seriously damage the experience, however it is enough to say that it left a bad taste in my mouth. Suggest that if you take a guided tour into the canyon or drive your own 4x4, do NOT hire a guide from the Holiday Inn, but go to the visitor's center and hire one there. It will still be hit or miss, but you might get a person who knows the art of guiding.

• Liked — Proxiity to Canyon de Chelly
  • Disliked — Poor quality guide service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor for Chinle accommodation it was with some trepidation that we approached this Holiday Inn. But we need not have worried.
From our greeting on arrival, to our room, the restaurant and the lovely ladies in the gift shop, we could not have been more supprised. Our stay was just great, food in the restaurant more than adequate, staff very pleasant, and the range of gifts in the shop were a delight.
We did a four hour trip into the Canyon, unfortunately our guide had been doing this trip for too long and did not have the vitality that the scene demanded. We met a farmer with a little shop and he should be guiding as he was so forthcoming on the canyon. We learnt more from him in 20 minutes than from the guide of 4 hours. This canyon is an awesome experience and most Americans do not know it even exists.
But overall we enjoyed our stay in Chinle and would like to convey special thanks to the Park Ranger at the visitors center who sent us over the mountains to Farmington. This was a very spectacular drive and his detail on the road was just great.

• Liked — Close to the Canyon
  • Disliked — Trucks sitting outside our room using the broadband for hours on end.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

This is one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been in. The staff are helpful and friendly, and the location was perfect for exploring the Canyon. Best of all was the food in Garcia's, which was some of the tastiest we've had anywhere. The tortilla soup, quesadillas, and the breakfasts were unbelievable!!!

• Liked — The cleanliness and the food.
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly? Share your experiences!